VST Options vs Foobar?
Nov 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

whitedragon551

100+ Head-Fier
I have taken the time over the last 2 days to read up on Foobar2000 plugins and options involving Virtual Audio Cable/VST options.

My understanding is using VST options I can alter/EQ audio from any source on my PC to play music rather than requiring I play audio through Foobar to effectively EQ. Is this assumption correct?

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 9
I playback using Ozone 5 (VST option) thru Foobar 2K.I can then use the features of Ozone to manipulate the sound output. The music is selected thru Foobar 2K and Foobar transfers the sound stream to the VST program on playback - both programs need to run simultaneously. There is some latency between Foobar and the plugin.

You will need to install a VST wrapper in Foobar to use VST plugins. Here is a link to George Yohng's VST Wrapper:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=59206

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
thats no longer true, foobar can run vst's natively now without the need for an external vst wrapper

Technically speaking, there is a new way of using VSTs within foobar2000 that's much better integrated, but for all intents and purposes, it's still a wrapper.

Blackbart, the VST wrapper he's talking about is found here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947

Do keep in mind some VSTs work with George Yohng's VST Wrapper but not with Peter Yegor's VST Wrapper, and vice versa.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 9
I think there may be a misunderstanding. The VST option I can play music from any source (Spotify, VLC, or even Netflix), with Foobar I have to play back an audio file of some type. Does the VST option allow me to EQ any source?

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks Roller - I'll try the Foo VST wrapper.

White Dragon - sorry for straying off topic a bit. If I understand your question you are asking if a VST pluging can link to any program with sound output - the quick answer is no. As far as I know a VST pluging will need a host program to control it. This means if you play thru VLC player or any other source the source program will need to run the VST plugin program otherwise the VST plugin will not start. I'm not sure if these other progams have VST capabilities.

The only "system wide" EQ option I know of is to use your sound card's software utility. If you have a sound card most will come with some sort of sound control program. I have the Asus Xonar STX and it has the Xonar Audio Center that has multiple sound controls including a decent EQ. You can control all sounds going thru the sound card with the sound card's software - this should allow you to configure EQ for all sounds from all programs (as long as the sound card is being used as the playback device).  

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Thanks Roller - I'll try the Foo VST wrapper.

White Dragon - sorry for straying off topic a bit. If I understand your question you are asking if a VST pluging can link to any program with sound output - the quick answer is no. As far as I know a VST pluging will need a host program to control it. This means if you play thru VLC player or any other source the source program will need to run the VST plugin program otherwise the VST plugin will not start. I'm not sure if these other progams have VST capabilities.

The only "system wide" EQ option I know of is to use your sound card's software utility. If you have a sound card most will come with some sort of sound control program. I have the Asus Xonar STX and it has the Xonar Audio Center that has multiple sound controls including a decent EQ. You can control all sounds going thru the sound card with the sound card's software - this should allow you to configure EQ for all sounds from all programs (as long as the sound card is being used as the playback device).  

What Im using is Virtual Audio Cable, VSTHost, and ReaPlugs ReaEQ.

Virtual Audio Cable Line 1 set to primary sound output. Then in VSTHost on the Input is set to VAC. I loaded the ReaEQ Plugin next. Then the output to the RealTek HD Audio card. Using this methodology as long as VSTHost is running all audio that passes to the RealTek HD Audio card will effectively be EQ'd. Am I correct?

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Ran into a little snag. I managed to get the buffer in VSTHost down to 630 samples. However on TV shows about every 5 minutes or so sound will drop out for 10-15 seconds and come back. Anyone experience this issue in the past? Google is a great help with VAC/VSTHost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back