Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #31 of 204
I just got my VSD2S, so in case people are wondering how it sounds out of the box, I'd say it's not too great. Let's bear in mind they haven't been burned in so I won't jump to conclusions. For some background, i've been using a pair of ATH-MSR7's and Havi B3 Pro I's.

For starters, these are a pretty damn trebly pair of IEM's. Three words that I would describe them with would be trebly, thin and (presently) untamed.

- Overall sound quality can be come across as somewhat metallic, and the mid-bass is quite muddy. I'm pretty hopeful that some burning-in will change this.

- Some sibilance so cymbals and S's are can hurt (I'm sensitive to this so your experience might differ)

- Bass extension is...it's just not there. But that's not what these earphones are meant for, so bass heads stay away!

- Mids sound a bit confused (sorry 4 poor explanation vocab), could be the mid-bass intefering with them. Let's let them clean up a bit with burning in before deciding.

- Can be quite unforgiving on files with lower bitrates.

BUT

- They have pretty damn good seperation. In terms of imaging accuracy I'm not experienced enough to tell, but it seems pretty decent to me too.

- They shine on acoustic tracks. Aside from the sibilance, you can really hear all the stuff that goes behind and boy does it make string instruments shine. 

- I can see how people mind find use for them to do monitoring, at 50 SGD you're hard pressed to find something that can seperate like this, and straight out of the box too. 

In terms of genres...

EDM/RnB is a no-no for me. As much as I listen to both, I don't see the VSD2S cutting it for these genres at all.

Rock does decently on warmer tracks, but the sibilance can be pretty unbearable. I hope the treble rolls off with burn-in, it would be pretty good then.

Acoustic seems to be this pair's specialty, but hell maybe that's just me. 

Jazz is...so-so for me. I don't really listen to this genre so I felt that the analytical nature of these IEM's lack the warmth that Jazz would benefit from.

Just my 2 cents, i'm gonna put it to some pink/white noise and see how it it fares in another couple of hours. Hope this helped!

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #32 of 204
Hmmm... Looks like the VSD2S could use some kind of filter mod to tame the highs... Or some burn-in? I still sorta half-believe on that stuff.

How about fit & comfort? That was the thing that made me interested on these as they looked kinda small.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #33 of 204
I just got my VSD2S, so in case people are wondering how it sounds out of the box, I'd say it's not too great. Let's bear in mind they haven't been burned in so I won't jump to conclusions. For some background, i've been using a pair of ATH-MSR7's and Havi B3 Pro I's.

For starters, these are a pretty damn trebly pair of IEM's. Three words that I would describe them with would be trebly, analytical and (presently) untamed.

- Overall sound quality can be come across as somewhat metallic, and the mid-bass is quite muddy. I'm pretty hopeful that some burning-in will change this.

- Some sibilance so cymbals and S's are can hurt (I'm sensitive to this so your experience might differ)

- Bass extension is...it's just not there. But that's not what these earphones are meant for, so bass heads stay away!

- Mids sound a bit confused (sorry 4 poor explanation vocab), could be the mid-bass intefering with them. Let's let them clean up a bit with burning in before deciding.

- Can be quite unforgiving on files with lower bitrates.

BUT

- They have pretty damn good seperation. In terms of imaging accuracy I'm not experienced enough to tell, but it seems pretty decent to me too.

- They shine on acoustic tracks. Aside from the sibilance, you can really hear all the stuff that goes behind and boy does it make string instruments shine. 

- I can see how people mind find use for them to do monitoring, at 50 SGD you're hard pressed to find something that can seperate like this, and straight out of the box too. 

In terms of genres...

EDM/RnB is a no-no for me. As much as I listen to both, I don't see the VSD2S cutting it for these genres at all.

Rock does decently on warmer tracks, but the sibilance can be pretty unbearable. I hope the treble rolls off with burn-in, it would be pretty good then.

Acoustic seems to be this pair's specialty, but hell maybe that's just me. 

Jazz is...so-so for me. I don't really listen to this genre so I felt that the analytical nature of these IEM's lack the warmth that Jazz would benefit from.

Just my 2 cents, i'm gonna put it to some pink/white noise and see how it it fares in another couple of hours. Hope this helped!

Yes I'd agree. VSD2S sounds trebly, thin/cold out of the box.
AN16 still on my ears till now. If not for the AN16, I'd probably be sad on this purchase.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #35 of 204
Hmmm... Looks like the VSD2S could use some kind of filter mod to tame the highs... Or some burn-in? I still sorta half-believe on that stuff.

How about fit & comfort? That was the thing that made me interested on these as they looked kinda small.

Oh yes, the fit and comfort is great for me, similar to the Shure 215/315 etc series. Forgot to mention that build quality is pretty damn good. the terminated jack end looks and feels pretty solid. The cables are have a smooth, rubber (not the friction-y type)  and matte-like texture which honestly look and feel way more expensive than they cost. NOW, if only I had these on my Havi's *sigh*.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #36 of 204

Burn in, no comment. I get the feeling though that it is actually the VSD2S' character. It just sounded too thin to me.
Fit is a different story though. Sits huge on the ears and feels snug versus AN16.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #37 of 204
I won't be the best on describing impressions but I'll try.
I'd consider the AN16 neutral. VSD2S sounds thinner/colder. Both seem to have that Vsonic signature spike in the sibilance region, more so on the VSD2S. These are based on just a few minutes listening to each out of the box. I'm using my X3 1st gen.

Actually, I feel like I only want to listen to those AN16's.

Thanks much....btw, this is more than enough for ootb impressions.......

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #38 of 204
  Based on the incoming VSD2s impressions, I'm thinking I made the right choice going with the VSD2. Hopefully the extra bass focus doesn't sacrifice imaging and separation much.

And for this reason I made a wise choice than you buying both models....
wink_face.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #40 of 204
give them some time.  Yes, some iems and headphones benefit dramatically from burn in.  You don't have to believe it but let's see what the folks hear after a day or so.

Kinda like buying a new car and sliding around corners with brand new tires.  Let them "burn in "  and you will corner with lots more grip, YMMV

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #42 of 204

Oh yes, the fit and comfort is great for me, similar to the Shure 215/315 etc series. Forgot to mention that build quality is pretty damn good. the terminated jack end looks and feels pretty solid. The cables are have a smooth, rubber (not the friction-y type)  and matte-like texture which honestly look and feel way more expensive than they cost. NOW, if only I had these on my Havi's *sigh*.

You don't like the cable on the Havi? TO be honest i feel that Havi B3 feel quite premium for the price point. Including that cable. Sure its not really comfortable but the feel of them is amazing. Btw, can you compare the Havi B3 with the an16?
  i have both. If you have owned the gr07 before then the an16 is 95% similar to it. The 5% is just burn in for the iems and my ears. 

I never owned the gr07 that's why i kinda jumped on this preorder. To get a gr07ish at a low price and see if i like the signature of them. But comparing with the Havi b3? 

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #43 of 204

You don't like the cable on the Havi? TO be honest i feel that Havi B3 feel quite premium for the price point. Including that cable. Sure its not really comfortable but the feel of them is amazing. Btw, can you compare the Havi B3 with the an16?

I never owned the gr07 that's why i kinda jumped on this preorder. To get a gr07ish at a low price and see if i like the signature of them. But comparing with the Havi b3? 

I don't like the flat bottom half of the Havi's, but otherwise I'd agree that the build is good for that price point. I'll let it grow on me haha.

As for the AN16, I can try to do some A/B's for you at a later time. Going to bed and burning in the VSD2S. I literally just opened the AN16's to take a look and test them before I knock out.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #45 of 204
The included tips (on both the AN16 and the VSD2S) were the worst I've come across. None of them fit me well, especially on the left ear. I ended up thinking both units were defective since the right side appeared louder.

Until I tried my other earphone tips. Virtually every other earphone tip on the VSD2S/AN16 felt better. I think it's because they have a wider stub. For some reason, the tips on the Vsonics have a really narrow stub...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back