Vsonic VSD2 / VSD2S and AN16 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #76 of 204
Just received my pair of vsd2s and AN16 today and have to say that the AN16 sound very good out of the box. Its very close to my gr07 with a hair more bass maybe and a little less refined. The vsd2s is a different story. Its seems like the bass quantity is a little more compared to the gr07, the mids are much more forward (something I really wanted with the gr07) and yet the upper midrange seems very harsh with female vocals from artists like Adele and Ellie Goulding. Will see if there is any improvement with burn in.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #77 of 204
I am starting to like the AN16 quite a bit.

For those of you with spare tips lying around, try swapping out the standard tips with some that have a thicker bore. Suspect Spinfit tips would work. I've used RHA tips. Post back if you have a combination of the AN16 and some thicker bore tips.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #79 of 204
Quick first impressions

AN16

This is definitely the highlight of this package. The housing was a LOT smaller than I expected. I think the foam tips that I put on them are roughly the same size as the housing (some exaggeration there). Mostly balanced sound with a good hint of warmth. Not too bright, nor does the bass overwhelm the sound. Better for rock than EDM... but even there I think they are serviceable. Will be interesting to see if I notice any difference next week.
Edit: The highs are pretty rolled off. I am playing black ops 2 and I'm getting none of the sharp highs that I get with the VSD2. I wonder if they will appear over time.

VSD2

I'll come back to these, but I was expecting a more warm sound. I like the cable on these. Not too thick and the cinch moves well on it. I didn't notice any R/L markings.  For now, these will be the backup for the AN16. I was hoping for a warm IEM next to the AN16's, I still prefer my Dunu Tridents over the VSD2.
Edit: I have had a pair of sony hybrid tips in my drawer for years. Never found a good match until now. I am getting no driver flex when paired with the VSD2's. The highs are still a bit much, but the sound is much improved with these tips.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #80 of 204
Besides my an16 coming off a rocky start the sound on them is pretty fantastic. Initial impressions are rather positive from the hour or so listening I have had with it. I swapped a pair of spin fits on the an16 and do initially like the results but I haven't listened to them much with stock tips either. Between these and the vivo xe800 and their gr07 drivers they do sound similar but a tad different. Will try and give them some more listening and tip rolling when I get a chance but the an16 do sound more mid bassy with the spin fits.

Besides the plastic wiring already coming apart the build on the rest of the an16 is pretty nice. Took the vsd2s out of the packaging to inspect them and QC seems to look fine on them. Housing seems a tad large and may develop some hot spots on my ears but will see.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 23, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #81 of 204
  Got my an16 and vsd2s today. The plastic cable is already starting to come apart under the y-split right out of the box. Unfortunate as I was looking forward to another gr07.

Also received it yesterday
Also located in Alhambra
Also cable problems

confused.gif

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #82 of 204
Got my VSD2/AN16 package today. Wow, what a value! At $18 a pop, I don't think I have gotten a better value! The wait was well worth it.

Both of these fill a need for me. I needed something fun and bassy with a not so serious sound for taking to basketball, the gym, and riding my bike as I always feel like I'm going to break my Audeos when I take them. The VSD2 fill this need perfectly, and I'm really glad I didn't get the VSD2s. One of my general rules of thumb is that if it costs under $80, it's generally not worth trying to get something advertised as being analytic or trebly, especially with dynamic drivers. I'm glad I followed my rule here, though I was wondering if I made a bad choice before I got them. The housings are a bit big, but this will be good for me to keep them in place while I exercise. The fit is great for me, reminds me of my UM3X, and I'm having no issues with getting a good seal with the tips they come out of the box with. The one thing I don't like about them is the plug and complete lack of strain relief. This could end up being problematic considering I'm going to use them actively. The cables are awesome, build is what it is at the pricepoint, good enough. It's punchy and fun. These are not sibilant for me. 

The AN16 are a great IEM! I am loving these as I have never owned a VSonic before, and always wanted to try the GR06/7s out. What better way than to pay a fraction of the price at the expense of accessories. No problem here as aftermarket tips are cheap and easy to come by. These are a definite upgrade in sound from the VSD2, though that is not surprising given their pedigree. Using them with my X3ii, they sound great! Not as punchy as the VSD2, but much more detailed uppers, tighter bass that still extends quite well and has a bit of punch, and nice mids. Maybe a bit peaky in upper mids / lower treble, but nothing overwhelming, with occasional threats of sibilance, but nothing that has jumped out badly. They are a very nice complement to my Audeos and would be to my RE400s if they still worked. I really hope their build holds up, as I thought it was pretty nice out of the box, but am very concerned with the above pictures. How is LMUE for replacements/returns?

Also, what sony hybrid tip would be the same size as the tips these come out of the package with? Orange or green?

Great purchase! When I started getting into higher fidelity sound, I never would have dreamed I would be spending so much on Chinese designed and made electronics as they were fairly non-existent and what was available was not well made, and now I have 2 DAPs, 2 Hifimans, a DAC, a portable amp, these VSonics, and some Titan1s on the way as well. I love seeing competition and great products at lower prices allowing for easier accessibility for those who can't drop ridiculous amounts of scratch on these things.

Good luck to those who have not received theirs yet.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #83 of 204
  Also received it yesterday
Also located in Alhambra
Also cable problems

confused.gif

Woohoo Alhambra buddies!
We can also be sheared cable buddies!

But yeah it looks like we were pretty unlucky with our pairs but doesn't look like we are going to be the last people with issues on their an16.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #84 of 204
I just received my VSD2S and AN16. Lucky for me, the cord on my AN16 has no visible flaws. It's too early for first impressions, except to say that I like them both, but neither quite matches my GR07.

As far as I know, the specs for these (especially the AN16) aren't easily findable online, so here they are.

AN16:

VSD2S:

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #87 of 204
Came back to the VSD2S after ~80 hours of burn-in.

Now they sound less strange, as the muddiness around the mid-bass seems to have cleared up on tracks without prominent bass. Bass is a little lacking still but now that the muddiness is mainly gone (on acoustic tracks) they are a lot nicer to listen to. They sound a little bit warmer and less analytical. What really comes through now is the clarity. It sounds really good. Granted, it only sounds this good on genres like classical, soul, jazz, etc. where songs are mainly made up of instruments and voices. But on those tracks it sounds great - the treble and detail are fantastic as well as a wide soundstage and good imaging/instrument separation. And as I mentioned before, the clarity especially in the upper mids is phenomenal, really brings out certain tracks. (Amy Winehouse's 'Help Yourself' sounds amazing for example.)

They still sound mediocre on tracks with more electronic/digital bass input like Rap, R&B, etc. due to the muddy and lacking bass/mid-bass h But I think they sound better than the AN16 on the genres I mentioned thanks to the outstanding clarity and imaging/instrument separation. The AN16 is a better all-rounder but I am glad I have both to switch depending on my mood.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #88 of 204
Anyone have what appears to be a serial number on the top of the box? It's a silver sticker with black digits. Mine says 00028.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #90 of 204
  Anyone have what appears to be a serial number on the top of the box? It's a silver sticker with black digits. Mine says 00028.

Both my AN16 and VSD2S box have the same numbers.  Love how the AN16 sounds.  These will replace my GR07.  I dislike how I need to use a flange with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back