VSONIC GR09
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #138 of 184
Aren't the gr07x 390 layers bio drivers already?
I guess Vsonic is out of ideas.
I think gr07x will be updated with the cnt drivers in the near future. As far as running out of ideas, they are just making products with what they believe are the best driver materials. If that was the case than 90% of the audio companies have ran out of ideas years ago also using the same material in product after product. That's not really running out of ideas and still easily beats stacking more and more inferior drivers in a shell with zero R&D like most other Chinese companies do.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #139 of 184
^ true some use the exact same driver and slap their name/logo with minimal to no tuning difference at all. Beyer/AK and Fiio/Dunu are examples.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #140 of 184
So this time after "only"
2 years of R&D comes the Vsonic Ares. This the the cheapest aluminum version equipped with a 390 layer bio-diaphragm and hand-woven cable. The more expensive bronze and copper versions will be equipped with a carbon nanotube diaphragm and hand-woven gold cable. There will be other even more expensive material versions

Please help me to understand. Is it the same driver as the gr09? Will the more expensive ones in copper have a different driver as well?

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #141 of 184
Sorry, I have no idea. Might be the same but tuned differently or just more finetuned. As far I know the most expensive versions are more expensive because of the materials used for the housings and the cable - whether this will yield better audio quality is beyond me

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #142 of 184
Just saw the measurements on these and it seems like something I would love! Warm with a bit of dip around 3-5 kHz and a bit more of a dip from 6-10 kHz.

Any other authorized resellers besides from Vsonic on Aliexpress?

Oct 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #143 of 184
I just played with the Vsonic iems (GR09, GR07X and GR07C) comparing different tips I have in my collection. Unfortunately I don't have foam tips that fit these iems so I only managed to try the silicone tips. Among the stock tips, spinfits and spiral dots. I can say the spinfits sound the best for my taste. It makes the Vsonic iems sound fuller, deeper and clearer. The source I use by the way is AK240SS.

The GR09 benefits the most as it sounded almost at the same performance level as my ciems. GR09 with the spinfits has more body, fuller and well extended. It makes the GR07X and GR07C a bit thinner. GR09 is still the warmer iem among the 3 but it actually sounds more resolving and clear yet no hint of sibilance and is less fatiguing.

With the spiral dot, I actually liked the GR07X better. Still with spinfits, the GR07X still sound better that with the spiral dot. But the spinfits definitely help me realize how good the GR09 really is compared to it's siblings. Having heard GR09/spinfi, I can now say the price is justifiable and still a bargain compared to other iems which are more expensive.

What a difference a tip makes...

Another thing I discover about GR09 is that it responds very well with EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #144 of 184
@headwhacker I'm just listening to GR09 with stock silicones and WM1A through balance output. They're definitely tips dependent. But even with the same tips they can sound different to me and that I can't explain. One week they are great and on pair or better than my EX1000 and another week they're just ok.

BTW. You should have foam tips included in a box. I tried spinfits earlier today and they sound great with GR09.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #145 of 184
@headwhacker I'm just listening to GR09 with stock silicones and WM1A through balance output. They're definitely tips dependent. But even with the same tips they can sound different to me and that I can't explain. One week they are great and on pair or better than my EX1000 and another week they're just ok.

BTW. You should have foam tips included in a box. I tried spinfits earlier today and they sound great with GR09.

I'm looking forward to try foam tips next. I also experience what you are saying about changing or inconsistent performance. Again, I believe it is also due to the tips. The reason spinfit works best for me is because they insert deep enough into my ear canal if paired with Vsonic iems and it forms a good seal and stability. In my experience, I never really found a good match with spinfits at all with the rest or my iems. Only with Vsonic's iem design that I find spinfits work best. For other iems the spiral dots usually is the better tip. While my KSE1500 never worked as good on any silicone tips I tried. It only works with westone true fit foams.

Like you said, it's better to have different tips at different sizes. You'll never know what will works best for a particular iem. I have a PP8 coming, I wonder what tip will work best for it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #147 of 184
Recently got the GR07 37th Anniversary Edition, with the GR09 drivers.

Such a good-sounding earphone. Even more so than the GR07x, it kind of improves all aspects of the standard GR07. More precision, tighter texture/attack/decay. Not a huge difference, but being able to more easily pick out snare ghost-notes and such in complex music makes it a really rewarding experience.
Plus the frequency response seems the best of all GR07 iterations. No sibilance like the Classics, and a slightly less pronounced upper-end compared to the Gr07x.

Really impressed with these and the several subtle ways they've improved and furthered the sound.

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #148 of 184
I used to wear the anniversary edition on the ear, rather than around the ear, because they would give more bass. I think that with 20 hours of burn-in the bass increases, and now I prefer them over the ear. They might lose a tiny bit of sub bass this way, but you get tighter low mids. As a result, you get more clarity on the higher frequencies.

In addition, since they don't have an ear resonance compensation like the etymotic, I increase the 2k frequency by 6-8db with an EQ. You get much more high frequency detail with sucn an EQ, without adding any harshness or sibilance (harshness in iems is usually located in the 5-10khz range).

So far, the AE have met my expectations: they may not be the best iems, but they get very close with some eq, and you only spend about 180$. They are good right out of the box, but with a little burn-in they improve. In fact, I'm not sure it's burn in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back