Vsonic GR04 Pro Flagship Review (yes that really is its name)
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #91 of 166
You won't be disappointed...

If the lows are not to your liking, a bit of amping/EQing will work wonders. While the bass hugely improved after a couple of hours of use, I wanted a little more (when using my Clip+). Adding a Fiio E6 did the trick. Depending on the style of music I listen to I adjust the EQ on my rockboxed Clip+, so far never felt the need to go over +4dB on the bass.

When I use it with my S:Flo2, no EQ is needed and the internal amp is more than powerful enough to drive it properly.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #92 of 166
Just writing to say thankyou to the posters on this thread for clearing up the massive confusion in naming schemes - the info y'all have provided allowed me to swap from buying the GR06 at £42.00 to a GR04 Flagship at £32.86 at the last moment. Ta!

To be honest, the pricing of the GR04 Flagship reminds me of the Radiopaq Jazz - started life at £59.99 as part of a large-ish family, dropped like a rock after a sadly poor reception (lack of visibility & obtuse naming scheme?), and ended up as a remarkable bargain.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #93 of 166
I'm very late to this (pretty much empty) bandwagon, but I got a pair of these in a few days ago and am pretty satisfied with what I got.  These still seem to be selling at lendmeurears and so on, though I got mine lightly used off the sale/trade forum.  Supposedly VSonic is introducing many new models soon, so maybe these will go away shortly?

I haven't taken the time for extensive listening and running sweeps / noise / other tests to try to find peaks and issues in the response, but on listening so far, I don't really hear any problems outside of just a little weirdness in the treble.  Not sure which frequencies at all, or if it's just because I'm used to a slightly different response up there.  Generally I prefer a more balanced sound, with mids being the most important to me and bass / treble extension being a definite plus but not a dealbreaker.  For IEMs it's got to be over the ear style IMHO; ear guides are a plus.  So this is really suiting me well for a portable secondary setup.

It's really nice for ~$50, kind of shocking to get sound like this at that price.  The accessories and everything else make it that much sweeter.  I haven't tried as many sets as many other people, but I can't think of anything that sounds as good that ever sold regularly for prices under $80 or so, be they IEMs or headphones (or speakers).  In this price range, usually you see more "consumer-friendly" sound signatures with some loose bass, many sets with worse treble extension, headphones with too much bass rolloff or at least one severe dip in the mids or possibly just way too much bass / mids exaggeration, headphones that aren't comfortable because nobody can afford large cups and velour pads too far south of $100, and so on.  At least, that's my limited impression of a lot of the market.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #94 of 166
I've had a pair for a few months now and don't even know why I bought them but I must say they sound quite good for the price.  I got them for $60 and I think they're one of the better sounding under $100 IEM's I've heard.  Much warmer than the GR07 with highs that are more laid back but still have good detail.  Mids are a bit forward with the warm tone but also have good detail and the bass has good punch as well as good depth that goes to 20Hz easily.  Soundstage is wide and they also have some depth which the GR07 doesn't have much of at.

Over all well worth the money imo and I use them quite a bit when I workout or good jogging because I don't want to use SM3 for that.  Also they started to sound much better after about 30 hours of burn-in and even better after 50 hours so if you do get them I'd do the burn-in before listening to them.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #95 of 166
Quote:
Just writing to say thankyou to the posters on this thread for clearing up the massive confusion in naming schemes - the info y'all have provided allowed me to swap from buying the GR06 at £42.00 to a GR04 Flagship at £32.86 at the last moment. Ta!

To be honest, the pricing of the GR04 Flagship reminds me of the Radiopaq Jazz - started life at £59.99 as part of a large-ish family, dropped like a rock after a sadly poor reception (lack of visibility & obtuse naming scheme?), and ended up as a remarkable bargain.

i think both were largely down to having terrible names, the GR04 was just confusing and no one bought the Jazz if they didnt listen to jazz.

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #96 of 166
Hi all, just ordered a set of these so let's hope they come soon! (I'm in Singapore so it's local delivery, should be fast as long as they dispatch it early). There's a coupon code for the lendmeurears site, LMUECUST gives 15% off.

Hope to compare it with my (just broken) Xears TD4, Nuforce Ne-6 and (broken - 2 pairs) Crossroads Mylarone X3i. Of all of these, i only really liked the Crossroads for their great soundstage. Let's hope the GR04 Flagship don't disappoint!

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #97 of 166
Buaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh i've lost my GR04 PF's :frowning2:

I loved them so much, the clarity, the sound balance, comfort, cable, accessories (well at least i still got a billion tips), everything!
I don't even know how it could be possible since i kept them always me, they were like my preciousss, and when i found out they were gone i had one the worst times of my life since i never had such quality IEMs!

Maybe in a couple of years when i get out of the trauma i'm going to think about buying another, but for now i would just like to thank all the awesome people on this forum for having helped me!

PS. I've posted here because nobody seems to understand how i feel.. anyway, life goes on! Hope i didn't go OT lol

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #98 of 166
Quote:
Buaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh i've lost my GR04 PF's :frowning2:

I loved them so much, the clarity, the sound balance, comfort, cable, accessories (well at least i still got a billion tips), everything!
I don't even know how it could be possible since i kept them always me, they were like my preciousss, and when i found out they were gone i had one the worst times of my life since i never had such quality IEMs!

Maybe in a couple of years when i get out of the trauma i'm going to think about buying another, but for now i would just like to thank all the awesome people on this forum for having helped me!

PS. I've posted here because nobody seems to understand how i feel.. anyway, life goes on! Hope i didn't go OT lol

LOL Why wait a couple of years instead of just getting a new pair?

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #99 of 166
Sorry for your loss man... My condolances...

I suggest you get back on the horse and order a new set right away. Otherwise you might find yourself living with 23 cats, completely alienated from humankind in a few years... I know, a new set will never be the same, it will never be able to fill the gap your precious left behind. But you could also see this sad event as life giving you a hint that there is more out there... Like the GR07, which is on sale at mp4nation for $159.50 and free fedex next day delivery (to some locations). :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #102 of 166
Quote:
Quote:
I'd wait, the new vsonic lineup is released on the 18th. it looks very promising. Also, the new vc02 is getting rave reviews.

the gr04 is still better than the vc02 in my book

I really don't doubt it, but they are coming out with like 20 new models. Not to mention that the old models are going to supposedly be discounted. I heard that the GR01 would be ~$130, which if that's true, then maybe the GR07 might be reduced to ~$100 or less, and maybe the GR04 will come down further, too!

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #103 of 166
Quote:
Hi all, just ordered a set of these so let's hope they come soon! (I'm in Singapore so it's local delivery, should be fast as long as they dispatch it early). There's a coupon code for the lendmeurears site, LMUECUST gives 15% off.

Hope to compare it with my (just broken) Xears TD4, Nuforce Ne-6 and (broken - 2 pairs) Crossroads Mylarone X3i. Of all of these, i only really liked the Crossroads for their great soundstage. Let's hope the GR04 Flagship don't disappoint!

Just got my hands on them 2 hours ago! The initial sound quality was actually quite disappointing to me, with nearly no bass and not much detail/soundstage. However, just an hour or so of burning in appears to have made a difference and things are looking up! The bass has definitely come in, although it feels slightly light for now. Details is certainly better too. Not good at describing stuff, but even after 1 hour of burn in, they seem to have my previous earphones beat. Perhaps in 50-100 hours things will be perfect! Am very tempted to get a pair for the gf right now.

Edit: By the way, if you ordered in the 7 days or so, expect a few delays because of a public holiday we had over the last weekend

Edit 2: Within the first 12 hours of burn in or so, bass tightened up significantly, resulting in a much faster bass than I've experienced with my previous IEMs. Impact is great and there is plenty of quantity, at least to me. Much better than my basshead type Nuforce Ne-6's.
Burning in the 30 hour mark gave better detail and treble, again, better than anything I had experienced. Up this point, I actually didn't feel that that it was mid-forward, as the focus had been on the bass and treble.
After 30 hours, I seemed to notice the mid becoming more forward, and understand why people describe it as slightly mid forward. Vocals are emphasised, and clear, but don't drown out detail at all.
At the 50 hour mark, the sound stage, which had previously been quite 'in my head', appeared to be expanding. Imaging is far better than the TD4 and Ne6, although I can't say for sure it's better than the X3i (been quite a while since I had those).

All in all, I've been really really pleased with these, and keep taking them out to listen instead of studying for my midterms. LOL. Also ordered a pair for my sister and she's enjoying them. Interested to see how they develop from here, as I've had IEMs burn in further than I want, and hope these don't mellow off too much/lose detail, or loosen up and become too slow. Would be very pleased if they could just freeze right here, at this current stage, but would also enjoy even better imaging/sound stage, if it could happen.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #104 of 166
hi all!
gr07 is beyond my budget :frowning2: so i was thinking of gr06 for an upgrade over my beloved gr02be. i would love a pair just like these, as i love the bass, however they are a bit to warm and lacks detail - and especially  vocals as these are a bit to recessed in the middle and lacks the spark in the treble imo, but after reading this thread, the gr06 does not seem that much of an upgrade. 

vc02 seems great - but the winner might be gr04 flagship.

several here seem to have compared the two- so - should i buy the 04 or vc02.

i begin to understand why 04 fell under my radar at first after reading here - so many diferent names....

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #105 of 166
I've yet to try the vc02, but am plenty pleased with my GR04FE. Have been hoping to hear from others who have both for a comparison as well! My guess, based on the reviews of others, would be that GR04FE is the middle ground between the `slightly V shaped GR02BE and the more analytical VC02. It's been described as being similar to the GR07 although not as competent, and is capable of handling nearly any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back