VOX: Mac OSX Music Player
Dec 29, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #16 of 101

Very recently I found VOX 2.4 (build 2400.112 12/16/2014) plays DSD files now!  Tried it with various .dff and .dsf audio files, played them all without issues.  Not bad for freeware IMHO.  

Then there is this posted on their web site and twitter 12/12

Something new is coming… Be ready to dive into infinity! *from VOX developers http://coppertino.com/vox/infinity 

I saw that. I wonder what that is though. On the side note, there are quite few bugs that Coppertino has to fix on the new version.

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #17 of 101
I too am a dedicated Vox user, the app is wonderfully designed, i wish it had an expanded or full screen view. 

pretty intrigued with this infinity thing, perhaps it has something to do with Apple's Continuity or is some kind of music discovery/store?

Being on the Mac side of the fence, i like to support coppertino who are specifically supporting my preferred platform.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 101
I used to be an avid VOX user, but the latest updates have turned me off. It used to be perfect. I have my entire collection sorted into folders, and I used to be able to drag-drop the folder into the VOX application in various locations to either clear out my playlist and play the folder, or to append the current playlist. It seems that simple action has been complicated for no apparent reason.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #19 of 101
I tried it, even though I am quite content with Audirvana Plus 2.

It attempts a lot of connections to different servers. I generally dislike that.

It lost my AU plugins every time I restarted. That's a deal breaker.

It didn't find my SACD ISOs, DSF or WV files.Another deal breaker.

It also doesn't seem to control the DAC the way Audirvana does.

I'll pass.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 101
  I used to be an avid VOX user, but the latest updates have turned me off. It used to be perfect. I have my entire collection sorted into folders, and I used to be able to drag-drop the folder into the VOX application in various locations to either clear out my playlist and play the folder, or to append the current playlist. It seems that simple action has been complicated for no apparent reason.

You always have the option to use Vox v1. Coppertino has it listed on their website as the original version.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 101
I think VOX has a simple clean UI when compared to Audirvana.

i find it just looks to cluttered, very distracting. 

I'm still hoping the second gen Zune PC Software gets released on MAC, we can dream right?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #22 of 101
  I think VOX has a simple clean UI when compared to Audirvana.

i find it just looks to cluttered, very distracting. 

Which version is Audirvana have you tried? I'm using Audirvana Plus v2 and it is a very simple and clean interface.

This is a Zune screenshot, correct?

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 101
Yes and yes, mostly. 

I didn't really word myself properly, but for me Audirvana has too much of a file explorer/finder look. Very 'utilitarian' and simple in it's actual design. 
Where Zune in my opinion, has a 'utilitarian' and simple design which i find more intuitive and experiential. 

I will attempt to explain myself:

audirvana - shows a ton of info in a rigid grid (title/artist/album/disc/genre/sample rate etc.)
                 - All info > All the time

Zune - does not show all info at once, instead visualises the album covers with large images grouped left and the containing tracks of the album selected to the right. 
         - The right info > at the right time?

I like this screen to compare Zune to Audirvana. Displaying artist/album/track in a more relevant grid which will graphically filter as you select artist>album>track. (at high resolutions - the album grid is immense)

I think Zune is more thoughtful in it's user interface, inferred hierarchy of the filters and lists, small transitional animations.

J. Allard and the team at Microsoft's now defunct Pioneer Studios, were doing some critically brilliant, though not commercially brilliant work with the Zune/Kin/Courier, it's a real shame Microsoft went in another direction. Much of their influence still comes through Windows 8/phone today if you look carefully.

but I come from a User interface/experience design background, so my view is therefore very skewed. Hopefully I made some sense

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #24 of 101
I'm liking Vox, but don't really have anything to compare it too. I've not started to rip all my CD's yet though or download much high res music, just 30 or so free tracks from various places. I'm hoping to be able to simply have an external drive with all my music on. Each album in its own folder. I'd then like to be able to drag each folder into the collection's tab of Vox, which would create a collection for each folder/album. I'd then like to be able to copy certain tracks from each collection and create new compilations, like "the best of Stevie Wonder" etc. Is this going to be possible with vox?

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #25 of 101
I have posted this in another thread (related to Ifi Nano iDSD) but wanted to also post it here.

I made an enquiry to VOX about their DSD playback, as the screen shows 88.2 kHz in the screen when playing back a DSD track via the iDSD Nano. I wanted to ask if this meant that the DSD was being converted to PCM. This is the response:

DoP means "DSD over PCM", that's the point - DSD is first converted to PCM, then delivered. VOX shows the actual output PCM sample rate here.

VOX cannot play DSD native (as many other players also) because it would require to support DSD audio interfaces which currently we do not.

So basically, the are saying that DoP requires a conversion to PCM, but I was under the impression that DoP resulted in native DSD, just wrapped in the PCM stream? Other media players have DoP and PCM conversion as two separate options. So it appears that VOX cannot deliver native DSD yet?

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 101
Two interesting news are coming from Coppertino, creators of Vox.

First, iOS version is close to release...

And second, they will offer Infinite Loop, cloud service with infinite capacity for your music storage. It will allow you to seamlessly sync your music across devices. VOX for OS X and iOS will come with it's support. Pricing should be very modest.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #27 of 101
It's a pity it won't play on my Mac mini without hiccups. JRiver plays no problems.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #30 of 101
At the moment, I have some music is on an ext HDD, with each album in it's own folder. Inside VOX, each one of these albums is a separate collection. Is this the wrong way to do it? Should they be playlists instead? When should one use a playlist or a collection? Why should one save them, is this just in case one's computer goes wonky?

Also, say I have 3 albums by an artist all saved as collections and I want to create a compilation of these 3 albums (say 5 tracks from each), can I create a playlist or collection from the others? I would consider a "playlist" to be a more of a better description for a completion, say a "chill out compilation" made up of tracks from my collections. Can I do this? I don't mind these being stored in collections or playlists.

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back