Vote the best amp for HD 650
Oct 11, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #31 of 51
I voted other!

I vote for the bada ph12, especially when modded. It's a hybrid tube amp.

All i can say is, the hd650 loves a bit of a tube...

Also, the darkvoice 337 lost in a head to head from pataburd against his bada ph12. It's cheaper and you have spare money to mod it, wich will bring it way beyond the darkvoice 337!

But, as you can see, most people like their current amp the most. What you can read between the lines however is that most say and confirm that the hd650 performs better with tube amps in general since they deliver more current, wich the hd650 needs!

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted other!

Also, the darkvoice 337 lost in a head to head from pataburd against his bada ph12. It's cheaper and you have spare money to mod it, wich will bring it way beyond the darkvoice 337!

But, as you can see, most people like their current amp the most. What you can read between the lines however is that most say and confirm that the hd650 performs better with tube amps in general since they deliver more current, wich the hd650 needs!

Voltage, not current. Voltage is what they need and what most tube amps do better than delivering current.
Low impedance phones need (fast) current and that is what tube amps (in general) find difficult to deliver.
High impedance phones need more voltage and are relatively less hungry for current.
The above statements are generalisations, but I find them most of the times true.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #33 of 51
Your opinion is welcome as anyone else's, but it isn't entirely accurate, as was stated in the other thread you made this same comment, people pointed out that pataburd is not using the HD650 when preferring the Bada over the DV337, so you should note that when recommending an HD650 amp
wink_face.gif
The Bada may or may not be better than the DV337, but citing pataburds preference of the Bada when using his AKG 501 headphone, is just misleading and it is also one persons subjective preference. Also, if you are really that dependent on his impressions, you can see he is getting a lot of listening pleasure from the DV337 recently with tube rolling. In fact, in the same review you are talking about, pataburd ends off praising how good the HD600 sounds with the DV337 compared to the Bada.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bad...ssions-338607/

Also, the Bada PH-12 and its mosfets are known to be quite prone to failure and that I feel should be mentioned when recommending it to anyone.
Perhaps if Bada addressed this problem, I would be interested to try one.

My recommendation for an HD650 from my experience would be the Woo WA6 with the pseudo-dual PSU mod.

Quote:

I voted other!

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltage, not current. Voltage is what they need and what most tube amps do better than delivering current.
Low impedance phones need (fast) current and that is what tube amps (in general) find difficult to deliver.
High impedance phones need more voltage and are relatively less hungry for current.
The above statements are generalisations, but I find them most of the times true.

I know, sorry, typo...

yes, they can deliver more voltage...and they are likely not to clip that easy, where a mosfet or transistor would blow.

Oct 12, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your opinion is welcome as anyone else's, but it isn't entirely accurate, as was stated in the other thread you made this same comment, people pointed out that pataburd is not using the HD650 when preferring the Bada over the DV337, so you should note that when recommending an HD650 amp
wink_face.gif
The Bada may or may not be better than the DV337, but citing pataburds preference of the Bada when using his AKG 501 headphone, is just misleading and it is also one persons subjective preference. Also, if you are really that dependent on his impressions, you can see he is getting a lot of listening pleasure from the DV337 recently with tube rolling. In fact, in the same review you are talking about, pataburd ends off praising how good the HD600 sounds with the DV337 compared to the Bada.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/bad...ssions-338607/

Also, the Bada PH-12 and its mosfets are known to be quite prone to failure and that I feel should be mentioned when recommending it to anyone.
Perhaps if Bada addressed this problem, I would be interested to try one.

My recommendation for an HD650 from my experience would be the Woo WA6 with the pseudo-dual PSU mod.

He said to me that he liked the akg 501 and the hd650 better on the bada.

A fact is that the bada is half the price of the darkvoice337(i saw it on the web for 1000 dollars), if you mod the heck out of the bada, you'd pay about the same but the bada will easally surpass the darkvoice! Tuberolling will further improve the sound of the bada, so that's just the same as with the darkvoice.

They put 2 diodes at the feet of the mosfets.problem solved. If you are carefull, and listen to our advice about tuberolling, there is NO danger at all.

You should also mention that the bada uses 6sn7 tubes, wich are really great sounding tubes(often used as driver tube for 300b high end tube amps), different tubes then the darkvoice uses.

In the end, it comes down to preference... By the way, i know people that never have blown a mosfet in the bada and they do alot of tuberolling!

Edit:

most people i know use a hd650 with the bada..or a hd600...
Pataburd used the hd600...on the darkvoice, not the hd650...

We'll see what pataburd thinks when he gets his modded bada ph12 back!!!

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #36 of 51
I'm a Darkvoice fan. So there you go. Darkvoice 332

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackcatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like the response for darkvoice is overwhelming
smile.gif
since ive decided on the darkvoice, is the price jump between the 332 and 337 worth it?

At this point in time (337's going for 540US or so) I'd have to say yes.

Peete.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #39 of 51
I don't want to take this thread further off topic, I'm sure people can read pataburds review and realise what he is saying for themselves. I'm sure both are very capable amps.

However, please note the DV337 is not 1000$, it is 720$ express shipped.
Welcome to Audiophilechina

Quote:

He said to me that he liked the akg 501 and the hd650 better on the bada.

A fact is that the bada is half the price of the darkvoice337(i saw it on the web for 1000 dollars), if you mod the heck out of the bada, you'd pay about the same but the bada will easally surpass the darkvoice! Tuberolling will further improve the sound of the bada, so that's just the same as with the darkvoice.

They put 2 diodes at the feet of the mosfets.problem solved. If you are carefull, and listen to our advice about tuberolling, there is NO danger at all.

You should also mention that the bada uses 6sn7 tubes, wich are really great sounding tubes(often used as driver tube for 300b high end tube amps), different tubes then the darkvoice uses.

In the end, it comes down to preference... By the way, i know people that never have blown a mosfet in the bada and they do alot of tuberolling!

Edit:

most people i know use a hd650 with the bada..or a hd600...
Pataburd used the hd600...on the darkvoice, not the hd650...

We'll see what pataburd thinks when he gets his modded bada ph12 back!!!

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to take this thread further off topic, I'm sure people can read pataburds review and realise what he is saying for themselves. I'm sure both are very capable amps.

However, please note the DV337 is not 1000$, it is 720$ express shipped.
Welcome to Audiophilechina

I saw it was solfd for about 1000 dollars on the web somewhere. certainly the prices will vary...but i checked some time ago and that was what i found.

At 540, it's more interesting.

I take all threads on head-fi with a grain of salt...most posts are personal preference, not a guide. The only way to know what you want is to listen to both amps and decide wich one you like best! Also people change their minds, even after posting a thread...it's the best ...untill the next best thing...

here's the link:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...voice-337.html

it clearly states 1000,- ,the question is is it american dollars or hong kong dollars.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #44 of 51
I did not vote because I don’t know any of the amplifiers mentioned but in my limited experience in order of synergy the best amplifier for the HD6xx are:
1- Woo Audio 2
2- Single Power Extreme
3- RSA HR2 (very good with HD595, Grado SR225 and Beyer DT880)
4- Antique Sound Lab MG OTL 32 DT
5- Musical Fidelity XCan 2
6- DAC1
7- EMU 0404

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also thinking about the cantante, but I decided to pull the trigger and get the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8. Should be a little better than the cantate, however there is a very outspoken poster who (maybe rightly so) says the V8 doesn't drive higher ohm cans well. It should be arriving today, so I'll burn it in and give impressions.

Any thoughts yet with the v8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back