Vote the best amp for HD 650
Oct 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 51
I haven't heard many of those listed, so I won't vote, but I'm aiming a HD650 as well, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a Corda Cantate to drive it.

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard many of those listed, so I won't vote, but I'm aiming a HD650 as well, and I'm seriously thinking about getting a Corda Cantate to drive it.

Same here, the cantate seems very promising, but sadly it doesn't have tubes so keeping my options open for the moment

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 51
I was also thinking about the cantante, but I decided to pull the trigger and get the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8. Should be a little better than the cantate, however there is a very outspoken poster who (maybe rightly so) says the V8 doesn't drive higher ohm cans well. It should be arriving today, so I'll burn it in and give impressions.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 51
Haven't heard the other amps listed, but the DV332 is very good.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 51
I*ve had a Prehead MKII se and a rpx-100...must say that I liked them better with the Rudi.
But my current amp does the job better than both of them.
The Harmony Design Pre906 gets the job done
harmony%20design.jpg

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 51
IMHO, there is no need of tubes for HD650 as they already have a natural very liquid/smooth sound... OTOH, I would definitely recommend tubes for K701.

And HD650 in my case revealed themselves when going balanced with RudiStor NX-33.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 51
Best in what category of price ? Unlimited or limited budget ?

No real best IMO, just many varying degrees of great.......

Peete.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best in what category of price ? Unlimited or limited budget ?

No real best IMO, just many varying degrees of great.......

Peete.

X2

I'll abstain...

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 51
I won't vote either because I have not heard every amp in the line-up, In fact I have only heard the 650's with the darkvoice 332 which I can highly recommend, especially if you upgrade the tube's.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 51
I didn't vote because I haven't heard any of those amps, but I thought I would put my word in. As a previous poster stated some thing about the x-can... I have heard the HD650 through an X-can v8 and I find it to be very veiled and lifeless. I don't think its a match up to the 650's, I have also heard it with Grados, and it's performance was stellar, so I would agree to stay away from the x-can with high impedance headphones.

I just picked up a Little Dot MKIVse so when that comes in I can give you my impressions.

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, there is no need of tubes for HD650 as they already have a natural very liquid/smooth sound... OTOH, I would definitely recommend tubes for K701.

And HD650 in my case revealed themselves when going balanced with RudiStor NX-33.

Agreed. A friend of mine has the HD650 and a Little Dot MKII++ and he says that this duo goes way smoother than he would want it. I guess HD650 doesn't need tubes at all.

That's why my plan is to go for a HD650 and a Meier Cantate.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't vote because I haven't heard any of those amps, but I thought I would put my word in. As a previous poster stated some thing about the x-can... I have heard the HD650 through an X-can v8 and I find it to be very veiled and lifeless. I don't think its a match up to the 650's, I have also heard it with Grados, and it's performance was stellar, so I would agree to stay away from the x-can with high impedance headphones.

I just picked up a Little Dot MKIVse so when that comes in I can give you my impressions.

Hmmm, I'll waiting for your posts about this duo
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back