vote for your favourite cheap amp (below ~$80)
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 58
I never did like the penguin amp.
The mini3 I think was superior both sq-wise and build-quality wise.

If you only use a "regular" non-rechargeable battery like the other amps listed here, the mini3 would come out to under $80 as well.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #17 of 58
I got a used PINT for just under $80.
Nice little amp.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #19 of 58
haha - ok the fiiO is winning...i ordered one btw (since it was only $4 + shipping - guess you can't go wrong with that). But i suppose it's winning more because it's a value-thing - and of course portability. SQ wise it would be the bottom end of the list?

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have a link to a buyer who sells mini3 amps for under $80? i haven't managed to find one - i'm trying to look at the current situation not past times...i've also heard mini3 is great , but couldn't find one under $100

Wouldn't mind knowing this as well, there doesn't seem to be anyone selling any at Headfi anyway.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

do you have a link to a buyer who sells mini3 amps for under $80? i haven't managed to find one - i'm trying to look at the current situation not past times...i've also heard mini3 is great , but couldn't find one under $100

Just to add, I got my mini3 (about $57) amp from this local DIYer: Welcome to FerdsAudio - Site Under Construction! Updated July 8

I don't know if he can ship to other countries though.

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #24 of 58
Is it something you have to request from him, because that guy doesn't seem to be working on them atm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #25 of 58
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

haha - ok the fiiO is winning...i ordered one btw (since it was only $4 + shipping - guess you can't go wrong with that). But i suppose it's winning more because it's a value-thing - and of course portability. SQ wise it would be the bottom end of the list?

I own a PenguinAmp Caffeine, several Go-Vibe V5's and V6's (different opamps), a few different Cmoys - and the FiiO E3. In my Work Rig (in which I use such portable amps) the FiiO E3 was my favorite in the stated price category by a good margin with Yuin PK1 phones. What it has taken to replace the FiiO E3 in my work rig has been the SR-71A. With the Yuin PK1, not even the Portable Millett Hybrid Amp could do that for me. The FiiO E3 (to my ears) has a really clean and open/spacious sound with very enjoyable spectral balance and timbral reproduction in a rig with modest components and decent quality work-friendly earbuds. I went back and forth multiple times (over a period of time) between the FiiO E3 in this rig and each of the PenguinAmp Caffeine and the collection of Go-Vibes and Cmoys (and an iBasso P2, which is out of the stated price range). YMMV, but I kept sticking with the FiiO E3 for how it sounds in my work rig.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a PenguinAmp Caffeine, several Go-Vibe V5's and V6's (different opamps), a few different Cmoys - and the FiiO E3. In my Work Rig (in which I use such portable amps) the FiiO E3 was my favorite in the stated price category by a good margin with Yuin PK1 phones. What it has taken to replace the FiiO E3 in my work rig has been the SR-71A. With the Yuin PK1, not even the Portable Millett Hybrid Amp could do that for me. The FiiO E3 (to my ears) has a really clean and open/spacious sound with very enjoyable spectral balance and timbral reproduction in a rig with modest components and decent quality work-friendly earbuds. I went back and forth multiple times (over a period of time) between the FiiO E3 in this rig and each of the PenguinAmp Caffeine and the collection of Go-Vibes and Cmoys (and an iBasso P2, which is out of the stated price range). YMMV, but I kept sticking with the FiiO E3 for how it sounds in my work rig.

I too like head amps without a volume controller. Most pots seem to degrade and smear the sound. The best low priced volume pot that I heard is the panasonic evj in tangents cmoy guide. Its a shame so many amps come with that alps combo switch one. I'm not a fan of them at all.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azazel90x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zero Audiocraft cMoy amp, waay better then most cmoy amps, its in a highly durable plastic case, superb construction, looks like a professional amp, doesnt dent easily like reg cmoy amps in candy tins, thats what i think is the best
biggrin.gif

Zero Audiocraft Portable Headphone Amplifier CMOY AMP - eBay (item 220301263085 end time Nov-01-08 19:12:03 PDT)

The link if anyones wondering

yes - the build quality looks good, but it doesn't seem as if you can exchange the opamp? That is a problem, specially since the one he builds into the amp (opa2134) doesn't seem to get a lot of great reviews...i would prefer something like the biosciencegeek one then, cos at least you can roll the opamps.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

yes - the build quality looks good, but it doesn't seem as if you can exchange the opamp? That is a problem, specially since the one he builds into the amp (opa2134) doesn't seem to get a lot of great reviews...i would prefer something like the biosciencegeek one then, cos at least you can roll the opamps.

I actually prefer the 2134 with iems. Looking at his ad in your sig, biosciencegeeks cmoy is priced a bit high for what looks like spray painted protoboard glued into a tin. I also dont agree with what he wrote about circuit boards. Do you have any pictures of the amp? His pics dont show much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back