Vote for a Headphone Forum at AA in the General Section!
Sep 15, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #46 of 50
i dont see any harm in promoting headphone on AA. Especially from the the point of view of a headphone enthusiast that will only gain and with little to lose.

The Head-Fi forum is undisputed the best resource for all headphone related materials. its populated by some knowledgeable people/moderators that are not only helpful but active participants, spear-heading the h'phone community.

Anyone serious on seeking info on headphones will undoubtedly found themselves on head-fi eventually. similarly, any serious DIY will found themselves on headwize. everyone knows that.

AA will help to generate alot of general interest. H'phone will grow faster and more competitive if there is a larger market.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #47 of 50
heh, i went straight into head-fi when i found it because its so much prettier than headwize. what can i say? can't take a boxy forum seriously.

heh, but really i think head-fi could use a little more visibility on the web. i might be wrong here, but as i remember google doesn't really pick up posts, and whenever i was researching headphones way back when i'd only run into headwize and audio review, and i assumed headwize was all washed up because it was so retro looking. (hey first impressions are key. i've learned the error in my ways, but its the truth) in fact the only way i found head-fi was randomly clicking on headroom's links page, and at first i thought this forum was actually hosted by headroom.

anyway i guess i agreed with markl immediately that zanth's initial post could have been a little short sighted, and i may have missed some vital information because those 2 write too damned much and i read too f'ing slow to go through every word, but after some thought it seems that some headphone visibility in hot spots like AA might actually bring fresh blood into head-fi, being the superior spot for headphone info.

as jude said, 1 of 30 forums on AA wouldn't be that drastic a change, but definately where stray head-fi'ers and head-fi hopefuls would frequent, when cruising AA and it would be an easy place for people to get referenced here.

of course the link idea would work too, but to be honest the best way would be to bypass AA altogether and figure out how to get head-fi to show up more on google. lets face it, it's the #1 site on the web, and is where everyone finds everything. (remember yahoo uses their engine too)

this is assuming the point is to draw more people to head-fi, or to head-fi with the purpose of expanding the community and then the market.

just a thought. *shrug* i never ran into AA either, and still havn't visited. i mean i know how crazy audiophiles are and when they advertise asylum right in the title... no thanks.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #48 of 50
I'm not a big fan of this "conversion" thing. Reminds me of The Fountainhead where Dominique is trying to get all the rich guys who can't form their own opinions to have their buildings designed by the popular skill-less architect, while only the people who know what's good without being told choose Roark, the avant-garde genius. Also reminds me of one of the probable reasons that proselytizing not allowed in the Jewish religion...

The only forum in AudioAsylum that I've recently been visiting (or trying to visit -- I can't get in anymore for some reason) is the Digital Drive forum. And there's plenty of people there trying to convert me to either the Channel Islands DAC or the modded ART DI/O. Whenever I try to post these idiots keep posting and posting -- if I say I'm not interested, they tell me I'm ignorant and try to shove their garbage down my throat a second time. I don't appreciate it. The response I got that was by far the best of all of them was in a private e-mail from a guy who is actually a Head-Fi member. He can name himself if he wants, but I'll just say that I wish he posted here more often as he's extremely knowledgeable, intelligent, and helpful.

Yes, a headphone forum at AA would be separate and again, people wouldn't need to visit if they don't want to. But as far as I've seen in AA, it's a forum where shills and empty-headed fanatics take over every thread where someone asks for advice. I'd hate to see Head-Fi members stooping to that level (not to say that some don't already do that here
rolleyes.gif
) but for the AudioAsylum shills and crackpots to come here and do it to us.

And no, I don't visit Headwize anymore. How many people, once they decided to visit the Headphone Asylum because they already visit AudioAsylum, would stop visiting Head-Fi?

Sep 15, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #49 of 50
okay... so I eventually get to the main AA page (I used to be a member there, but forgot my ID) and I go to the general page, and all I get is:

Quote:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Not the greatest of inspiration really........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back