Vote for a Headphone Forum at AA in the General Section!
Sep 15, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
LOL, Jude...I feel the same way as MacDEF...I'm no expert, I'm just an idiot with a bunch of headphones...
biggrin.gif

Okay, but don't expect me to edit my post, as "expert" makes a better point in favor of my argument than "idiots with a bunch of headphones".
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

markl: Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

only if you're not smart enough to understand what being cool is. or not cool enough to accept being a geek. either way.

realise my tongue was firmly planted in cheek, but come on mark...

hell, i was going to let that go, but i'm jumping into this here. we're geeks. you ARE a geek. you have expensive headphones, you spend time on a forum about electronic based stuff. you know who paul westerberg is... dude, you have to just deal. its not a bad thing, hell i'm proud of my geekiness.

and believe me, i'm mother****ing cool.

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Okay, but don't expect me to edit my post, as "expert" makes a better point in favor of my argument than "idiots with a bunch of headphones".
wink.gif

lolup.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
wink.gif

You're killin' me, man!

xxrotflmao.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #35 of 50
He he he.

As I said in a previous post here in this very thread (look for it)... no doubt about it, I am a geek.
biggrin.gif
If I ever have kids, if they learn only one thing from me it's this:

"Don't try to be a "well-rounded" person. Nothing good comes of being well-rounded. Jack of all trades master of none... Figure out what you're good at (or what you like) early on and do ONLY that... That's the key to success. My life is an object lesson in just that.

Nevertheless.. we are cool amongst ourselves, but I guess the general public would not see us that way!
wink.gif

BTW, how's that Tom McRae CD coming? I've been waiting to see it in your heavy rotation list...

markl

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
If I ever have kids, if they learn only one thing from me it's this:

"Don't try to be a "well-rounded" person. Nothing good comes of being well-rounded. Jack of all trades master of none... Figure out what you're good at (or what you like) early on and do ONLY that... That's the key to success.

Amen to that -- you're absolutely right.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
If I weren't apathetic I'd vote no.

I do think a link exchange or polite directions back and forth would benefit everyone quite a bit though.

kerelybonto

Agreed.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #38 of 50
wow, this thread has really gotten large!

Quote:

So do I, that's why I spend so much time here-- it's fun to share. I look with some pride at the high-school folks here (the Neruda's and coolvij's etc.) who have fallen under the spell and just "get it". Because of our help, these folks will likely embark on a lifetime in a terrific hobby with a very high enjoyment factor, that causes no harm to our fellow man! OK, I'm getting a little misty here...

wow markl! I couldn't have said it better! I too fall under the group of Neruda's and coolvij's. I'm simply a high school student. I really have to say, without headwize/head-fi, my love for this hobby could not have grown. It's quite incredible! The thing I love about this forum is the sense of community. It was great to welcomed into the community with open arms. While other forums thrash newbies, this one welcomes them. For new products to be made(headphones, amplifiers), new people have to be "converted," so to speak. I've seen quite a few people complaining that head-fi seems to have gotten away from the "roots" of headwize, which was basically a bunch of guys talking about their weird headphones.
wink.gif
Some say that there are too many newbie questions. But, in my opinion, let's face it: we need newbies for us to expand. Head-fi is growing very rapidly. The newbies that get their answers today will be lobbying Sennheiser to make better headphones tomorrow. As for the AA forum idea? Well, personally, Audio Asylum scares me sometimes. Truth be told, I haven't spent much time on it, but it really must be frightening to new people. It seems like a much more hostile environment, with too much flaming, etc. Personally, I think that there should be a headphone forum on Audio Asylum: that would just redirect you to head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #39 of 50
alright, i'm taking a big dump on this thread.

markl,

so you're not cool? cause hey, if you're a geek...

smart people know a lot about a lot of stuff. it's okay to be smart and take the time to learn about stuff you find interesting, despite what high school taught you. cool people are smart... its not hard to put together.

i have friends who think television is only worth watching for news, documentaries, and a-team reruns, read all day, find joy in a great used music find, and live a life quietly disproving every false assumption made upon them. they're very cool people. others who are into other stuff... still cool.
Quote:

Nevertheless.. we are cool amongst ourselves, but I guess the general public would not see us that way!

who the hell cares what the general public sees? maureen dowling, my 8th grade crush, is easily one of the five or six hottest women in the world. i couldn't care less who "people magazine" thinks are.

be clear than i'm not attacking you as a person, i'm responding to your belief that a person who considers him/herself a geek is not cool. your statement on your view to the key of success is telling: i suspect my view of what success is differs from yours.

re: tom mcrae - i'm glad i bought it man, but i haven't really been in the mindset for it. not sure if that'll change, but i'm in a heavy tom waits/tracy chapman/lou reed state of mind at the moment (whatever it is that ties all them together, thats my rotation at this time).

best,
carlo.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

I too fall under the group of Neruda's and coolvij's. I'm simply a high school student.

Ya, me too. Sophmore. Save your
eek.gif
's for later, thank you very much.

Quote:

The thing I love about this forum is the sense of community.

Quote:

Well, personally, Audio Asylum scares me sometimes.

HeadWize, when in its infancy, was comparable to a few friends at a poker table setting discussing headphones. With Head-Fi, the poker table has grown and a cocktail waitress (ads on Head-Fi) is now present to serve you a drink if you so desire. Audio Asylum, however, is men taking turns at at a podum, where a mosh-pit of an audience yells anything they please; many times those who yell have fire in their breath. Sometimes Head-Fi assumes the role of the typical Audio Asylum on a smaller scale, however for the majority of the time, it is still a large poker table with a cocktail waitress.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #41 of 50
carlo,
Quote:

so you're not cool? cause hey, if you're a geek...

Hey I think I'm real cool, but if you took a poll....

Quote:

smart people know a lot about a lot of stuff. it's okay to be smart and take the time to learn about stuff you find interesting, despite what high school taught you. cool people are smart... its not hard to put together.

At age 8, I was separated from my peers and placed in the "gifted" program. So I know what it means to be a "geek" believe me.

Quote:

who the hell cares what the general public sees? maureen dowling, my 8th grade crush, is easily one of the five or six hottest women in the world. i couldn't care less who "people magazine" thinks are

Me neither, so we're arguing about...
confused.gif

Quote:

be clear than i'm not attacking you as a person, i'm responding to your belief that a person who considers him/herself a geek is not cool. your statement on your view to the key of success is telling: i suspect my view of what success is differs from yours.

What's your definition of success? Mine is this: do whatever you are interested in and screw what "conventional wisdom" says. Follow your heart, and feel free to "geek out" whatever your interest may be.

Quote:

re: tom mcrae - i'm glad i bought it man, but i haven't really been in the mindset for it. not sure if that'll change, but i'm in a heavy tom waits/tracy chapman/lou reed state of mind at the moment (whatever it is that ties all them together, thats my rotation at this time).

Listen to it again. I've owned thousands and thousands of CDs, including Lou Reed and Tom Waits (both of whom I love). But this disc is special. Very special. Give it a few more spins. We come from the same musical tastes. Tom Mcrae is special...

markl

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Well, personally, Audio Asylum scares me sometimes. Truth be told, I haven't spent much time on it, but it really must be frightening to new people

I hardly ever go over there but listen to this: About 2 weeks ago I went into the general forum there and asked if anyone had a certain issue of Stereophile I wanted. I did the same thing on the Head-fi forum. Today I got the issue in the mail from an AA inmate from Seattle, and he refused to even take payment for it. He just sent it for free. What a hip thing to do!

I'm keeping my mouth shut about the AA deal, but I already emailed audiogon about a month ago asking them, TELLING them, to add a specific headphone section. Right now you find headphones in all kinds of places over there.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

markl: Me neither, so we're arguing about...

that being a cool geek isn't a contradiction. damn man, i thought you were gifted?

wink.gif

edit:
tom mcrae: oh, he's still in the overall rotation, i give it a spin every now and again. it just hasn't made it to the heavy rotation yet
wink.gif

success to me is learning. as long as i keep learning about and from my expanding world, i am successfull. my suspicion of a large difference in our definition of the word was very wrong.

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Ya, me too. Sophmore. Save your
eek.gif
's for later, thank you very much

Junior here, my young padawan.
biggrin.gif

But your poker game analogy is pretty spot on. Headwize was a VERY closenit community. Everyone knew everyone else. Head-fi is similar in this respect, except there are a few more names to remember.
biggrin.gif
Some forums, though, seem to be a real mish-mash. I mean, you have over ten thousand members, and it really doesn't seem that the forum is going in a certain direction, if you catch my drift. Anyone else see what I mean?

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #45 of 50
lol... to be honest, the only reason i don't post at headwize is because i have to enter in my password for each post. It has nothing to do with inferiority, just my laziness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back