Vote: Best Bang for the Buck < $300
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #61 of 135
With a semi-reasonable amp, HD580, without hesitation.

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #67 of 135
Right now a tight battle between the DT250-80 and the K271. I haven't tried the K271 out of a portable yet, though.

Note: I have a K701 and an HD650 - I'm not arguing the DT250/K271 are better, I'm arguing they are better bang for the buck - that is, closest to the red box:

DRcurve.jpg

I also think that in that price range, as likely as not isolation will be a necessity, even if it is only to block out air conditioners and the like, and the D2000 and DT770 were included, after all.

Either one will likely leave some cash aside for a small amp or about six to eight months of gasoline (in my case), or roughly 1/2 a Wii.

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 135
This is an easy one for me. I love my ATH-AD900s. They're brilliant, really. (At first I voted for the ATH-AD700s, but found out I hadn't read the poll too well.)

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #70 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Semifitoldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was that old saying? " One man's meat is another man's poison"; applies to headphone choice also.

So true! [size=xx-small](I mean, some people like Bose.)[/size]

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #71 of 135
boomana, I appreciate your comments; however I prefer holding off on any analysis and conclusions until after the end of the poll. In short and as stated in my original post, "The main purpose of this thread is for fun and to see what gets chosen. This is not a scientific survey." After it concludes, I will tally the results, offer my comments and conclusions, and welcome Head-Fiers to do the same and/or discuss. We're only a few days into the poll and I am already enjoying the valuable information that's been made available. And, I am looking forward to what I expect will be more fun after it concludes. Can't you just feel the suspense building?
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1Time, the problem with polls like this is that they don't really offer any real information. You just can't flat out compare the SR60s to the DT880s for value, for example, as the SR60s are 32 ohms with a sensitivity of 98dB, and the 880s are 250 ohms with and a sensitivity of 96dB, and that's assuming they're not the 600 ohm version. The SR60s wouldn't need an amp to sound okay, and the the DT880s most definitely would. How do you add in the extra cost of amp requirements when talking about value? Also, folks probably voted based on the one or two they've heard without having heard the others, or some may have voted after only reading about the headphones mentioned. Add in individual taste, etc., there's zero sense to be made from any of this. Since you said you're not planning on buying any headphones, and this is just for fun, what's your goal in tallying the results?

EDIT: the above poster just got K701s and posted them as the best value. This is a great example. They're going to require a really decent amp to be of any value so add a couple hundred dollars to that $250 and that's the real price if you're looking to actually enjoy your headphones. Same can be said for those who recommended the HD600s and 650s, especially the 650s, which really need a good desktop amp to sound close to their best. The SR60s (again, for example only) sound a-okay without an amp, though can improve if you get one that mates well with them.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #72 of 135
out of what I've personally heard the sr225, which I voted for, is at a good price/performance ratio for the <$300. Will need flat pads, and even then though...ear fatigue/comfort can be an issue. There's something nice about the grado house sound that is pleasing, but doesn't work for everything. And definitely not a jack of all trades for me.

Did some more thinking, and maybe the Equation Audio RP-21 (which I've tried and do like) or the m-audio q40 (will be trying soon). My main gripe with the rp21 is that being closed, it does get a bit warm on the ears for me.

I would have said hd600, but I really do believe these need better amping and possibly cables to truly perform. DT880 is good too, but I also don't think I can stand to use it as a everyday use can. My current daily use is the k240 LP, which does most things well enough, without doing anything horribly. I also feel that they may need better amplification though. (If one can score an M^3 and the k240s for under 300, then maybe this is the answer. I've only heard recabled k240s with the m3, so I'm not sure)

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #73 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This poll is for full size headphones that may be bought new for under $300. Please vote accordingly for your vote to count. Thanks

Being out of production disqualifies a headphone from consideration?
confused_face(1).gif
The HD580 is essentially an HD600 for $100 cheaper.

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #74 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being out of production disqualifies a headphone from consideration?
confused_face(1).gif
The HD580 is essentially an HD600 for $100 cheaper.

According to my original post, which I've quoted below for your convenient reference, you could vote for the HD580 if it is available for purchase new for under $300. Thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vote for 1 set of headphones that you consider to be the best bang for the buck, whether you have used it or not.

For this poll the headphones must be full size, (circumaural or supraural, but not specifically designed for portability) and available for purchase new for under $300 (or on back order).

Please choose based on your personal preference, your current knowledge of these headphones, your uses for headphones, your budget, and your use or likely use of associated equipment. The main purpose of this thread is fun and to see what gets chosen. This is not a competition or a scientific survey.

I selected the headphones for this poll based primarily on my reading here at Head-Fi. You may choose other full size headphones, but please post what it is so others may know.

Thanks!

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #75 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So true! [size=xx-small](I mean, some people like Bose.)[/size]

How could this be true? Bose people know what they like and are done with it. However, we as HeadFiers perpetually wander around in the dark and go from phone to amp and back again because we suffer from the HeadFi curse that never lets us watch our wallets. So it turns out that we are The Damned and Bose people are the truly Blessed Ones.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back