Volume Problem on Sony A816/A818
Jan 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am willing to wager most of you guys who are running the player at 20-30 volume with headphones of around 16-32 ohms are not doing any favors to your hearing. I am very certain are you are damaging it.

For example my Shure E4c are 109dB SPL/mW. And at level 20 I find them to be very loud. If your headphones are at least close to that level of sensitivity do yourself a favour and condition yourself to listen at lower volume levels. Try using 15 for now and as much as you want the extra kick DO NOT raise it.

You can't make a blanket statement like that. Perhaps YOU have sensitive hearing. If I couldn't go past 1/2 way on any player I HONESTLY would just continue to use $5.00 earbuds. It would be like having a 25" in TV and watching it from 35 feet away. Why bother?

Duration of listening session is also a factor. With the Sony A818 or the Nano I typically listen at 75-80% of max to fully engage myself in the dynamics of the IEM (SE530's, TFP's, E4's). My ears don't ring when I'm done, I'm 46, have had annual hearing tests which continue to come out fine.

I wish people would stop preaching to others on this forum about how loud others should listen to their music. It's like.....you should only drink 5 beers because if you drink 8 you will damage your liver....whatever.

Sorry for the rant!

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 22
How dare anyone show concern for the well being of others!
rolleyes.gif

Do what you want, but sensitive IEMs being pushed beyond 20 on this player isn't loud, it's loud-as-hell-and-dangerous over time. Furthermore, many people are unaware of the realities of volume-induced hearing degradation. This is an audiophile site. Folks here are very concerned about the preservation of their favourite sense and try to ensure all of us can enjoy our gear for the full stretch of our lives.

/rant over.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't make a blanket statement like that.

I am not making a blanket statement. I am stating facts. Sensitive IEMs at loud volumes are GOING TO DAMAGE your hearing over time. Do I care if you damage your hearing? Not really. Am I nice enough to share what I know? Yes I am. Make your own choice.

Quote:

Perhaps YOU have sensitive hearing. If I couldn't go past 1/2 way on any player I HONESTLY would just continue to use $5.00 earbuds. It would be like having a 25" in TV and watching it from 35 feet away. Why bother?

That is dumb to say because it's so wrong, Totaly backwards logic. ****ty buds sound LIKE CRAP at low volumes. That is why I own these expensive IEMs because they actually sound VERY GOOD at low volumes.

Quote:

Duration of listening session is also a factor. With the Sony A818 or the Nano I typically listen at 75-80% of max to fully engage myself in the dynamics of the IEM (SE530's, TFP's, E4's). My ears don't ring when I'm done, I'm 46, have had annual hearing tests which continue to come out fine.

Good for you. So can you share with me the results of your hearing test? How much is your hearing rolled off? Do you understand what fine means in this range and how the doctor interprets it for you? It's 'fine for age of 40 within this tolerance'. So if your hearing is good is up for debate. Next time you do one of these tests ask your doctor is your hearing fine for a 40 year old or a 20 year old?

Quote:

I wish people would stop preaching to others on this forum about how loud others should listen to their music. It's like.....you should only drink 5 beers because if you drink 8 you will damage your liver....whatever.

Sorry for the rant!

That is a warning not preaching. "If you go that way you might fall off a cliff". The choice to go there is entirely up to you. You can choose to research issue further if you desire.

Preaching? I think I hit a nerve there? Did you have overly oppressive parents? Seek psychiatric help if find this preaching. When I will start preaching you will know it....

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #19 of 22
Wow, flame war nation....

Anyways I can definitely confirm the volume decrease for A818 on adjusted EQ settings. It is much noticeable on speakers than on headphones. The EQ off setting sounds louder than any other EQ setting at the unit's max output level.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am willing to wager most of you guys who are running the player at 20-30 volume with headphones of around 16-32 ohms are not doing any favors to your hearing. I am very certain are you are damaging it.

For example my Shure E4c are 109dB SPL/mW. And at level 20 I find them to be very loud. If your headphones are at least close to that level of sensitivity do yourself a favour and condition yourself to listen at lower volume levels. Try using 15 for now and as much as you want the extra kick DO NOT raise it.

I stated in my first post that I use this for the gym so therefore I need all the volume I can get in that loud lions den I workout at.

I use the KSC75's as my headset. I thought these were all the rave around here. Maybe I should get better phones?

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 22
For gym a good choice might be some low cost IEMs like ER6. They isolate the noise and let you listen at fairly low volumes. Maybe even JVC FX66 for decent low cost sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back