Volume Problem on Sony A816/A818
Jan 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

waytoodeep03

Head-Fier
I just picked up the A816 yesterday and took it for a test at the gym. One thing I noticed is that on normal setting this thing is VERY loud. However, there isnt much bass to my liking on the normal setting.

I go inside to the EQ section and none of the presets are too my liking so I use the Custom sounds. I got the sound I wanted out of it but my volume is cut extremely low on all custom EQ levels? What the heck happened? Why is the normal setting so extremely loud but I cannot get any custom sound to be as loud? Not only that but between level 20-30 there is almost no noticeable difference in volume.

Is there a way that I can increase the Bass on the normal preset so that I can retain that same volume of the normal preset?

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 22
Either the unit is malfunctioning or you're doing something very wrong with the EQ and volume controls.

Is this your first mp3 player, or do you have experience setting EQ on other players?

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked to see if you've turned on AVLS (Automatic Volume Limiting System, or something like that)?

Yea everything is off.

I just read on the sony site and also in the instruction manual that using Custom EQ does cut the volume and they recommend turning up the volume manually. I guess this is something that will be updated on the next firmware update.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by waytoodeep03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this is something that will be updated on the next firmware update.

Any idea when this will be? I don't know where to keep track of these things.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 22
I tested mine and witching from custom EQ to normal does not change the volume. It changes the frequencies I have specified.

Make sure the sliders are in the middle, not at the bottom. The bottom is -3db which is actually half the volume. The middle, 0, which is no change.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tested mine and witching from custom EQ to normal does not change the volume. It changes the frequencies I have specified.

Make sure the sliders are in the middle, not at the bottom. The bottom is -3db which is actually half the volume. The middle, 0, which is no change.

I just tried it again from normal volume then went to custom and bumped the clear bass up to max and my volume dropped like a rock.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 22
When you enable EQ most DAPs including the Sony NWZ-S616F that I own does bring the volume down. I am guessing it needs extra headroom for the EQ so it doesn't clip or distort. I would guess it brings it down by 3db which it needs for eq? I'd love who is more knowledgeable on the subject explain. However even with the decreased volume the device is still more then loud enough with most headphones I would use it with.

Sure E4c
Ety ER4p
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro
HK EP720

What headphones are you using with your A81x?

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Hmm, perhaps this is Sony's method of ensuring the EQ does not distort the signal? Try EQing the signal in reverse, lowering the frequencies you're happy with and leaving the ones you want boosted as they are. This might alleviate the volume issue while keeping the sound tailored to your preference.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 22
I normally listen to NWZ-S616 with Shure E4c at volume of 10-12. If I use more sensitive Super.Fi 5 Pro I listen at volume 8-10. So when enabling EQ I raise volume another 3 points. to about 12-15 with Shure E4c and 10-12 with Super.Fi. That's more then loud enough for me. If I bring the volume right side of 20 it becomes way to loud for me. Maybe if you're trying to drive 100ohm headphones with it it could be a problem but anything short of 70 ohms the player can drive to uncomfortably loud levels.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 22
noticed the same thing on my A818.

using custom EQ: Bass Boost raised to 2 or 3. all other frequencies at 0.

i too listen at volumes ranging from 20-30, and have found that the effect is more noticeable at higher volumes. if i listen at a volume of 12, i can barely notice a difference in loudness between using no EQ and using the custom EQ. the higher you raise the volume while custom EQ'd, however, the more the Sony will attenuate so as to avoid clipping. therefore, there is a pretty noticeable difference in loudness between using no EQ and using custom EQ at a volume of 28.

this would also explain why some folks such as sigseg don't notice much of a difference.

though I don't use the EQ myself, I'd think the Sony's behavior is a good thing. if Sony didn't attenuate the signal when using the EQ, it would clip too much and wouldn't sound good anyway.

excuse my mistakes with the terminology.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 22
I am willing to wager most of you guys who are running the player at 20-30 volume with headphones of around 16-32 ohms are not doing any favors to your hearing. I am very certain are you are damaging it.

For example my Shure E4c are 109dB SPL/mW. And at level 20 I find them to be very loud. If your headphones are at least close to that level of sensitivity do yourself a favour and condition yourself to listen at lower volume levels. Try using 15 for now and as much as you want the extra kick DO NOT raise it.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 22
waytoodeep03 - try putting the normalizer on. You'll get an extra 'kick' of volume. I've compared it with on and off - and I can't hear that it degrades the sound at all, but it does give you extra volume.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you enable EQ most DAPs including the Sony NWZ-S616F that I own does bring the volume down. I am guessing it needs extra headroom for the EQ so it doesn't clip or distort. I would guess it brings it down by 3db which it needs for eq? I'd love who is more knowledgeable on the subject explain. However even with the decreased volume the device is still more then loud enough with most headphones I would use it with.

Interesting. I just tried this with my S616F, and the volume at the non-adjusted frequencies stays the same when I enable or disable custom EQ. If I EQ a band down, volume for those frequencies drops. If I EQ a band up, volume for those frequencies rises. I popped back and forth between "none" and "custom" many times, and I definitely do not hear an overall drop in volume with the EQ engaged. I did not try this at a wide range of overall listening volumes, but only at 12-17 on the volume scale, which is my usual listening range. It makes sense that, if the volume drop phenomenon only happens at extreme volume settings, that it's just doing what it needs to do to prevent amplified clipping on the frequency band that has the highest gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back