Volume pot for passive preamp
Jun 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Navyblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Any recommendation as to what value and best brand to get?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're on a budget, Alps makes good quality pots. You can find them from $15-$25 or so. They are of good quality and hold up well.

If you'd like to spend a little more, look at the stepped attenuators. Instead of a rotating disc withvarying resistance, you have a rotary switch that switches between precision resistors. These tend to be cleaner and better sounding than a potentiometer.

On eBay, you can find generic Chinese stepped attenuators between $40-$50. I have one and it works well and sounds good. $150 will get you a Goldpoint attenuator and there are a number of others at that price and higher. I like the Shallco kit at Michael Percy Audio. 45 steps and it comes with high quality resistors.

Of course, you can always find a nice rotary switch and add your own resistors. Multiple pole switches can get pricy, but you can go dual-mono on the cheap if you can live with separate knobs.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....If you'd like to spend a little more, look at the stepped attenuators. Instead of a rotating disc withvarying resistance, you have a rotary switch that switches between precision resistors. These tend to be cleaner and better sounding than a potentiometer.

On eBay, you can find generic Chinese stepped attenuators between $40-$50. I have one and it works well and sounds good.

The Chinese attenuators are great - I got one for £12.50 ........
wink.gif

It cost more than that for the switch alone, when I made my own - and it was an identical switch !
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what value should I go for? 20k? 50k? 100k?

I got 100k as the 50k ones weren't available at the time. I would have got 50k otherwise. Any of them should be OK, though.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DolbyR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been considering this one: VOLUME CONTROL TO 12AX7 6SN7 ECC88 ECC82 ECC81 EL34 6V6 - eBay (item 220226677417 end time Jul-20-08 08:23:40 PDT)

Though, the resistors seem like the same generic ones I'm getting locally.

yeah, why not !
wink.gif

I built my first one from leaded resistors, but I think the smd ones are probably better.
They're great fun to build though and at £7 or so delivered, a bargain!
(you couldn't get the switch for that)
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes. They're brilliant. I have a balanced one.

But you do need a power source to your 'passive' preamp, so might not be suitable for everyone.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back