Volume Pot Cleaning - HeadAmp Pico+Dac
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jolness

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased this used in late 2013 and it has always had a slight static noise in the right channel when adjusting the volume.
I didn't use it for quite awhile due to some stuff happening in my personal life.
I recently got a replacement casing and battery for it (I had lost the rear panel when I disassembled it)and it had been so long since I used it I forgot.
It is minor and I don't often change the volume of course when listening but if I can get it fixed with some contact cleaner or whatever that would be awesome.
I am familiar with electronics repair (did PC/Laptop/Phone/Tablet etc repair for a few years) but I have never dealt with this issue so I figure before I jump in I would see if anyone has any suggestions. It isn't a huge deal but if I can take care of it easily, that is great. Not worth re-soldering (and ruining the incredible quality of the circuit board) but if a cleaning can fix...

Also, probably not a smart question but would the high gain switch just be for louder volume, it drives my HD650s as well on the low gain setting as far as I can tell at the same volume but figured I would ask.

Thanks In Advance!
Glad to be back on Head-Fi regularly!

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 5
The first thing to try is just to unplug everything first, then rotate the volume knob from one end to the other, repeat for a minute or so.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Grab a stick of Deoxit and then run it through the pot. Once you applied a dab, rotate the thing until it's good.

Running it dry would do nothing but make it worse. Never try to clean pots by just rotating it: use contact cleaners as you suggested yourself.

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Grab a stick of Deoxit and then run it through the pot. Once you applied a dab, rotate the thing until it's good.

Running it dry would do nothing but make it worse. Never try to clean pots by just rotating it: use contact cleaners as you suggested yourself.

Yes, after years of using it, I've gotta say that Deoxit 5 is your best bet.
There's a generic version, but I've never tried it - nor heard anything
about it. Anyway, the cost difference is small.

Nov 15, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks y'all!
Just ordered some.
It really is a quibble but I would love to fix it.
Distracting when listening to some music if I have to adjust the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back