Volume panning cable?
Aug 15, 2011 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tehort

Head-Fier
Is there any kind of cable/or whatever that would allow me to balance my IEMs volume?
You see, I have a slightly big hearing loss on one ear, and its pretty annoying to listen to music when I'm not at my PC.

I know that rockbox allowed me to do that, but my player is gone.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 10
I think you'll get a better result by adjusting the L/R balance from your source. A cable with differing L/R impedance large enough to cause an audible volume difference might also affect noise and frequency response, which you probably don't desire.

Edit: Are you using a player that doesn't allow you to adjust balance? I may not understand your situation.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 10
It is possible to put a bit of attenuation in a cable with a resistor. Not entirely sure how to go about measuring your hearing loss and figuring out the correct value, but am reasonably sure it can be done.

It'd be like a balance control, but would be fixed at one value, so you wouldn't need a potentiometer. Once you know the correct value, you could mod the cable with a resistor and then solder it back together with heatshrink covering the resistor and joint. The cable would be about as good as a stock one. Also, it would not be expensive. Maybe $1-$3 for both a good resistor and heatshrink, and 10-15 minutes of work.

Do you know how much attenuation you have on the ear? If you're, for example, -10dB, someone could probably calculate the resistor value for the other side. If you don't know, call your audiologist. They should have a number.

If you don't mind, I'm moving this thread to the DIY Forum. Someone should be able to help you and you might find someone who can make the mod inexpensively.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 10
you could build your own headphone amp, and instead of using a sterio potentiometer, you could use two mono pots so you can adjust the volume of each channel independently. and if you already have an amp you could take the old pot out and put two new ones in. all you would have to do is some soldering and drill a hole in the case for the second pot. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 10
I could use an amp, specially with balance control, but is sounds too complicated for me.

Quote:
you could build your own headphone amp, and instead of using a sterio potentiometer, you could use two mono pots so you can adjust the volume of each channel independently. and if you already have an amp you could take the old pot out and put two new ones in. all you would have to do is some soldering and drill a hole in the case for the second pot. 

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi would something like this be any help?

Originally made to go on the input of an amp, the client had hearing loss in one ear, we decided to make a simple variable balance control,

If you want one you can just cover the postage, I have enough parts :)

cheers
FRED

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 10
PM sent, it should work perfectly for me.

Quote:
Hi would something like this be any help?

Originally made to go on the input of an amp, the client had hearing loss in one ear, we decided to make a simple variable balance control,

If you want one you can just cover the postage, I have enough parts :)

cheers
FRED

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back