Volume matched HD650 and DT880 (2005) comparison
Dec 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
A/B'ing these 2 on the same equipment (Benchmark DAC1 for DAC and amp) and various metal and electronic tracks - I am not using an SPL meter - but the DAC1 has a stepped volume knob and I need to turn it only one step to get a subjective volume match between the HD650 and DT880. (The DT880 needs one more turn of the volume knob in the clockwise direction to get a subjectively loud as the HD650).

Comparing them;

HD650 had;

1). More recessed treble. Treble detail is similar however.
2). Smaller soundstage where everything sounded more 'squashed' together
3). A much more prominent midrange - especially middle and lower mid-range. Listening to the DT880 right after the HD650, the word that comes to mind is 'scooped', listening to the HD650 right after the DT880, the word that comes to mind is 'nasal.' The difference in midrange was also the single most noticeably 'different' sounding thing between the 2 headphones.
4). The bass was very similar. Very similar impact, very similar quantity. Kick drums (mid-bass) might have ever so slightly more impact on the HD650 but there is really nothing in it.
5). I would describe both as 'soft' because they both sound the leading edges of notes quite bluntly. This is very unlike something like the K702 - in which the attack of notes is like an ice pick and definitely very 'hard' in comparison.

What concerns me is point 4). Everything I've read about the 2 headphones suggests that the HD650 over-emphasize the bass whereas the DT880 is shy of neutral in the bass. I think they're just about the same in this area!!

Would like your opinions on this...?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 4
When I heard the HD650, it wasn't all that bassy at all. It had good bass and a even better midrange. The overall presentation just wasn't toward my tastes. The DT880 bass is actually a little more than shy of neutral but I find that the J$ leather earpads kick it right up. As for the stock model for both, from what I heard the DT880 is still less bass focused than the HD650.

Another thing might be that the Benchmark DAC1 is weak on bass when you have it on the variable setting (I think this is pretty much the only setting for headphone listening...) so that might've affected your result.

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Here are my opinions compared with yours:

1. I agree. The Beyer clearly has more prominent treble, but the detail remains the same, if not a hair better than the 650.

2. Definitely agree. I feel that the 650 melds the sound together where the 880 has a larger and airier space where sound can dissipate and die off. I think I actually prefer the DT880 sound stage just a tad more.

3. Yes and no. I agree that the 650 has a much more prominent and superior midrange. However, I would probably describe the midrange with slightly different adjectives. "Polite" or "shy" would be the DT880, where "intimate" or "compelling" might be the 650. I don't find anything nasal about it, maybe a bit breathy due to the closeness but the timbre is very natural.

4. Maybe we just disagree on this point. I hear the HD650 with clearly more quantity and impact on most bass. The DT880 has a cleaner and much more polite bass with great extension that I think is great without being overpowering. A much more neutral bass. Sometimes I wish for the DT880 bass when I want clarity and speed. When I want to groove, I usually prefer the HD650 bass.

5. I agree. The HD650 has a very "large" sound with great power but it is very smooth and almost never "edgy". The DT880 is clearly a faster and brighter headphone, but I find the sound to be much more restrained and polite than something like a Grado. It reveals tons of detail, but doesn't do it in a screechy, sibilant manner most of the time. It has a very airy sound that I think helps to dissipate the edge around notes in a way that the K702 doesn't, although I didn't have that much listening time with the AKGs. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What concerns me is point 4). Everything I've read about the 2 headphones suggests that the HD650 over-emphasize the bass whereas the DT880 is shy of neutral in the bass. I think they're just about the same in this area!!

According to this and this, the bass responses are actually expected to be similar, although the graphs may or may not be accurate. But the HD650 could be perceived as having more bass (and lower mids) simply because the response is shelved down from a few kHz upwards. Also, the HD650 is more sensitive to the output impedance of the source, which, if high (e.g. tube amplifiers), will result in a slight boost centered at about 90 Hz.

I only have the "Pro" version of the DT880, but I agree that it has a somewhat "soft" sound in the mids, and it seems to be quietest (when tested with sine sweeps) around about 1.5 kHz, while the lower mids (at a few hundred Hz) are relatively emphasized compared to that. However, these are not large differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back