Volume loss on left side of Shure E3c ear-phones
Jan 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Wolfster

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am hoping this is the right place to ask for advice on how to fix my issue with my E3c ear-phones.

I purchased the E3C earphones a while ago. When I bought them were working fine. After using them only a few times this issue with the Left ear-phone began to happen. It seems to be noticeably quieter than the right, so much so that I cannot use them. I have tried cleaning the wax out of the ear-phone (with the tool provided) and blowing into the ear-piece but this hasnt worked. I am concerned that by trying to clean the wax from rubber tips(with Saliva) when I first used them, this has caused them to not work correctly. Im not sure what else can be done.

Also my E3c's dont appear to have wax guards. Is this normal?

Anyone have any suggestions? help would be very much appreciated.

kind regards,

Nik

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 7
If it is already clean, its probably the cable.

It it break and the internal cable contacts the shield cable it you can only hear a little (this happened to my e4c).

Your options are, find the fissure, and resold (is this correct??) that part, or changing all the cable.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply.

While your idea could be possible, it would surprise me for this to be the case. I have barely used them, and not treated the cable or ear-phones badly at all. There is a chance the cable could have been already in a bad condition when delivered to me, but there are no noticeable signs of damage.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I mean its possible. I always take care of my stuff too, but the e4c cable just started to break alone.

If you can access a cable tester like Behringer's CT100 you can check if an internal cable is in contact with other cable.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 7
low volume on just one side my be water or moisture in the earpiece, is this a long standing problem or did it just happen?
there is no wax guard on my se310s. try a hairdryer on low heat. drivers when they go might exibit a rattle and or low volume or no sound at all.
great news might be time to look for a new set, maybe different, good luck with that if you need to.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Okay so Ive found out that the E3c do have wax filters, and by doing some more research also found out that this may very well be the cause - that the wax filter has been clogged up. And to that end by following instructions I attempted to take Wax filter on the left earphone out. It now appears to be working at the same level as the right.

However, instead of removing the whole filter I managed to just break the green filter bit at the end, and probably now that has gone further down the tube. It does now work, but I feel I should try to replace the whole filter. The risk now is that I'll end up damaging them further when wax gets into the the main cavity where the driver is.

Anyone had experience of this problem and how to remove the silver ring? Do the E3c's actually have a wax filter silver casing or do they only come with the actual filter?

Ive looked around and found some Etymotic Filter changing tools:

Buy an Etymotic Filter changing tools for ER4 with 4 Filters, #ER4-45 - eXpansys UK

Does anyone know if these can be used to also replace Shure filters? OR do I need a specific one for the Shure E3cs? Does anyone know of any tool to replace them that is made by Shure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back