Volume levels
Jan 20, 2003 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cosmo

Head-Fier
When using an amplifier, if I turn the source volume up all the way and use the amplifier volume as the volume control, would that give the best sound? or is it better to keep the source volume low?

Jan 20, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 12
I think I've heard to keep the source volume halfway? Don't take my word for it though, I'll have to verify that by digging through the archives...

Jan 21, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Is it better to amplify less on a strong signal or to amplify more on a weak signal?

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Ctn,

it is better to amplify less on a strong signal, as the signal to noise ratio is much larger, than to amplify more on a weak signal where you would tend to boost noise and hum along with the rest of the signal (poor signal to noise ratio).

cosmo,

if you look at the amplifier's specs, it may say that it needs 1.35 volts for 100 watts output (as an example), if the amplifier has a volume potentiomet, and provided the impedances are a good match, it is easier to have the source output 1.35 volts and then adjust the volume through the amplifier. if however the output impedance of the source is higher than the amplifier, then you may have problems.

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Ctn,

it is better to amplify less on a strong signal, as the signal to noise ration is much larger, than to amplify more on a weak signal where you would tend to boost noise and hum along with the rest of the signal (poor signal to noise ration).

But if the source is at full, don't you start getting more distortion?

Jan 21, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Sources usually should not have volume control in the outputs. Are you using the headphone out as 'source output'? You should be looking for a line out you know...

If the source does have a volume control, it may be a digital control, in which case it's definitely best to set it to max; otherwise it is still better to set it max unless you hear distortion or have reason to suspect it might distort at max level.

What kind of player are you using as source?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 21, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 12
chillysalsa,

Quote:

if the source is at full, don't you start getting more distortion?

unless you are talking about personal cd players, and the like, most cd players and dvds output about 2.0 volts (whether or not there is a volume control). most amps need about 1 volt to output max volume. will there be distortion? yes. will you be able to stay in the same room while it's playing? no. so then why would you do it? the reason why the cd players output 2 volts is so that there is ample voltage versus impedance. if the cd player only output 1 volt, and it took 2 volts to get maximum output from an amplifier, you'd only get half power max. most cd players and dvd players output their voltage WITHOUT distortion (it's been designed that way), and the media (cd or dvd) is supposed to follow a standard that will allow a certain voltage without distortion (max at 0 dB). it's up to the mixer and producer to make sure that the media doesn't distort. otherwise you have a bad recording. typically you want a dvd or cd player outputting at 25K ohms and the amp input at about 100K ohms. why? because the connecting cables add resistance, among others (like RFI, hum, etc.).

exactly what are the specs on your source @ impedance and what is the input voltage @ impedance of your amplifier?

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Well, I don't really have an amplifier yet, i'm just wondering for when I get one. My source would be a computer with a good sound card.

BTW...I also wonder...in the windows sound settings...if I were to put the "wave" volume at a setting (lets call it setting 1), and put the main volume control at a louder volume (lets call it 11), would this have the same sound quality as if I put the main volume on 1, and cranked the wave up to 11?

(i couldn't help myself with the volume and 11 thing
wink.gif
)

Feb 2, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 12
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by wallijonn
Ctn,

it is better to amplify less on a strong signal, as the signal to noise ration is much larger, than to amplify more on a weak signal where you would tend to boost noise and hum along with the rest of the signal (poor signal to noise ration).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
I'm new to this game so forgive me if I seem to be beating a dead horse.

I'm in the same situation here. My source does not have a line out so I'm feeding the amp from the headphone jack.
So, in my situation the signal is being amplified twice, first at the source , then at the external amp. So the question is - is it better to amplify the signal to the max from the source (max volume setting) then less from the external amp OR less from the source (moderate volume setting) and more from the external amp and WHY? Or is there any difference?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 12
For a sound card, there will be noise coming from your computer even with the volume turned close to zero, so you're gonna be kinda bummed there. It's especially bad with cds. You're going to have to play with that yourself until you find a good combination. I find that on my sound blaster live 5.1 modded with audigy 2 drivers and moved to the quietest slot I could find in my computer, MP3s are as fine as I can expect off a soundcard in my computer even with the volume on the soundblaster turned all the way up, but CDs are still totally crap. With CDs, I found that turning up the soundblaster volume would raise the noise floor to unbearable heights. Lowering the soundblaster volume and raising the volume on my amp...would do the same thing because the amp would amplify the noise floor! YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back