volume control needed on amp?
post-201593
Post #1 of 3

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
if using an iPod as my only source, is there any need to have a volume control on the amp itself?

at the margin, doesn't a volume control introduce noise into the signal path? and the iPod doesn't have line out, so I will be using its volume control anyhow.

post-201627
Post #2 of 3

HighwayStar

Won't excrete urine on your holiday (unless you do so to his first).
Reaction score
I use my iPod with a META42. I set the iPod volume to about 60/65% (approximates other sources going into the amp) and use the amp's volume control. I'm hoping others chime in here, but here's my view on it. As the Pod has no line-out, I've set the volume at what gives me the same volume setting (about half) on the META42 with other sources. If you use the Pod's volume control, you'll constantly be altering the input signal to the amp.

post-201635
Post #3 of 3

Joe Bloggs

Member of the Trade: HiBy / EFO technologies Co
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
Reaction score
But that's exactly what happens in speaker setups where you use the preamp to vary the input to the power amps, which have fixed gain...

Should be alright, IF you only intend to use the amp with the iPod, and IF you set the gain of the amp such that your phones and your music the iPod is set at a volume with a good S/N ratio and is not stressing itself when the amplified final output is at a reasonable volume to your ears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)