Volume attenuator
May 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mcgee

New Head-Fier
Anyone know where I can get a good reliable volume attenuator/control to use with my A700s? I want to use one out of my Beresford to get rid of the slight hiss out of the headphone socket (by switching the volume on the attenuator down and cranking the beresford's volume up).

All I can find online is one made by Shure but this has a reputation on here for being very poor quality. The one Maplins do is a metre long which I don't really want as my headphone cable is already 3 metres long.

Budget - the cheaper the better. Needs to be available to the uk.

Any help appreciated.
regular_smile .gif

May 19, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems to be a little more than I was hoping to pay.

It's weird I would have thought that a simple bit of kit like a volume control would be more readily available.

May 20, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 11
do you actually need a variable attenuator, or are you just trying to lower the noise floor out of the Beresford?

if the only goal is to eliminate the hiss, i'd think an impedance adapter would be the simplest and cheapest option.

May 20, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 11
May 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 11
May 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NHT - Now Hear This ®

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/fs...9/#post5695134

NHT PVC PC

smile.gif

I have the NHT PVC and it works very well...absolutely no degradation of SQ to my ears. It's a heavy little bugger and the volume knob is very smooth and solid. I spent a lot of time looking at passive volume controls and passive preamps and you can spend a hella lot more than $69.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back