Vocal-oriented IEM ~$200
Apr 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dkcan

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi. As a junior member, it's pretty difficult to get an opportunity to purchase good phones most of the time. But I finally saved enough to get a decent phones around $200 in price and I was wondering what's the best IEM option that accentuates mid-range or vocals? I really want to try SE530 but due to the price restraints I'm thinking of a different alternative that can suit me. I'm just a beginner really so I don't want to try and get the best yet but I'd like a solid start
atsmile.gif
. Thanks in advance!

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 14
i own the SE530 and previously owned the Soundmagic PL50

based on your post i would reccomend the PL50s

in my oppionion, the Soundmagic PL50 is like a 'lite' version of the SE530. Its strength are mids and they sound great, i genuinely enjoyed them for all jazz, orchestral and vocal orientated music. Some may call them bass light, but that is not to say they lack bass, its just not as in your face as others.

They arent close to your budget of $200 either. There may be others which i am unaware of, but as far as my knowledge extends there is no better value for money mid-orientated phone for under $200

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebigcanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own the SE530 and previously owned the Soundmagic PL50

based on your post i would reccomend the PL50s

in my oppionion, the Soundmagic PL50 is like a 'lite' version of the SE530. Its strength are mids and they sound great, i genuinely enjoyed them for all jazz, orchestral and vocal orientated music. Some may call them bass light, but that is not to say they lack bass, its just not as in your face as others.

They arent close to your budget of $200 either. There may be others which i am unaware of, but as far as my knowledge extends there is no better value for money mid-orientated phone for under $200

Great recommendation, I wholeheartedly concur with you! I'd get the $50 Soundmagic PL50 now, keep $150 and start saving up for top-tier universal or customs.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 14
RE0+AMPs, ER4P, Sennheiser IE7, SF5Pro, Custom 3 and EX700LP.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the answers! I do have a price limit so most of the suggestions aren't really available to me but is there any one IEM that is known for vocals in particular? I intend to use this IEM for awhile so build quality is important factor for me. I'm interested in pl50 but I want to know more options before I make a purchase.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 14
I love the ER4P. I think it flies a little under the radar these days as 10 new IEMs seem to come out every month, but it's got one of the best mid ranges I've heard on any headphone, full-sized or IEM, especially if you tend to prefer a slightly bright sound to a lusher signature with more bass. They are truly exhilarating.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 14
SoundMAGIC PL-50 ($50), Head-Direct RE0 ($90), Etymotic HF5 ($120), Etymotic ER-4P ($170) - those would be my recommendations.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of trying ER-4P. Do anyone know where I can purchase them? Because they seem pretty hard to find, maybe discontinued or something.

Apr 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkcan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of trying ER-4P. Do anyone know where I can purchase them? Because they seem pretty hard to find, maybe discontinued or something.

If you can't find the 4P then the HF5 offers nearly-identical performance for a lower price and in a more modern design. If you're in Europe, try Expansys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back