Vocal Jazz recomendations
Apr 8, 2004 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stark23x

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for more vocal jazz...I'm positive my fellow Head-Fiers have tons of this stuff...so lay it on me!

Some of my current favorites are:

Diana Krall
Patricia Barber
Harry Connick Jr.
Frank Sinatra
Tony Bennett
Nat King Cole
Natalie Cole
Ella Fitzgerald

I'm specifically looking for modern recordings, something that is both good and *sounds* good...I love Ella, but a lot of the recordings I have sound like wire machine transfers onto cassette.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not trying to love quality of sound over the music...I'd like to have both.

Any recos?

Apr 8, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Apr 8, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #3 of 16
How about Cassandra Wilson? Try her "New Moon Daughter". Also Jacqui Naylor's "Shelter" is quite good, and Kendra Shank's "Afterglow" is excellent.

Happy listening,
W

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 16
I love Diana Krall and also Jacqui Naylor. Courtesy of Musicplasma.com, I discovered that in their same realm of style there's Jane Monheit, Stacey Kent, and Tierney Sutton. Recently got a CD of Tierney Sutton, I like it so much. And have just heard a few sample mp3's of Stacey Kent on Amazon, I know I'll be getting one of her CD's soon too.

Apr 8, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 16
Another vote for Stacey Kent (all of her albums are quite enjoyable and well recorded) and Tierney Sutton (in fact I think she's both, the most gifted and most musical female jazz vocalist of the "younger" generation).

How about these:
Holly Cole
Kurt Elling
Viktoria Tolstoy
Rigmor Gustafsson
Rebekka Bakken
Sidsel Endresen
Silje Neergard

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Are you looking for Solo only? I'll second the Real Group, my current favorite. There's also a group out of Boston back in the 80's called the Ritz. They've got a really good Vocal Jazz sound.

Also, if you like the Harry Connick/Frank Sinatra sound, the new Michael Buble is really good.

Apr 10, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Still on the hunt for some of these suggestions (and waiting for Amazon to ship a few), but so far I have grabbed the Michael Buble and Jane Mondheit...just what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the great suggestions...my ears thank you all as well!
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 16
If you happen to also listen to R&B/soul, I could happily recommend a bunch of awesome male and female vocalists.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 16
I was searching this thread for a mention of Sarah Vaughn, but GlowWorm beat me to it... so I'll second it! She had a heavenly voice that was so near and tender, and seemed to span about 7 octaves. A lot of Sarah's recordings are similar to Ella's in terms of sound quality, but there are some good ones too. It is worth the extra $ to get the XRCD version of "Send In the Clowns" as a starter, but there are dozens of others to choose from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back