VMware is the devil
Jul 18, 2009 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
I traced the source of my computer audio weirdness - I use VM workstation sometimes to do work on my big rig. I am 100% sure it doesn't release sound resources correctly now. I highly recommend not kicking off VM sessions on your bit-perfect rig and rebooting afterward if you do.

So foobar/jriver/etc is on my main rig, but the resource tagging of kicking off VM sessions is causing audio issues, slight, but degrading.

I might leave a little laptop for audio due to this...

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Just curious. What version of VMWare are you running and does it have all the current updates? I have VMWare which is why I'm asking. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 8
it's like ppl using foobar w/ a bit-perfect renderer on a MAC....it has to go through the host audio subsystem anyway, so it's not quite bit-perfect...especially on a Mac
redface.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Interesting!
I used to have VMware Fusion installed for quite a while, for testing GNU/Linux distros and like, and never found it to lock down sound resources after I quit the VM session and VMware. But then again, I may have missed it.

Certainly worth having in mind next time I give it a spin.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 8
I knew something was going - it was clicking and stuff when I would kick off sessions...I finally caught listening to some Norah Jones that was all of the sudden distorting slightly (albumn is very hot recording anyways) and it never did that before. Killed it rebooted and it was gone...

Right now I have audio set to not connect at startup of the VMs, might help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back