Vivid V1 DAC/AMP with Sennheiser HD580's
May 11, 2011 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

So I have a Vivid V1 DAC/AMP that I picked up used here on Head-Fi. Lovely little DAC/AMP. I picked it up after getting some information that it would drive my HD580's very nicely. I've had my HD580's for over a decade. I wanted to be able to start taking them portable with me so I needed an AMP. So I get the V1 and get to checking things out. It drives the HD580's farily well. But I notice that I just can't get the volume up on a lot of music. I don't want to explode my ear drums, but the level of volume could go higher and still be comfortable. Was wondering if this is a problem with my FLAC/Player or if the V1 simply can't drive the HD580's to high volumes or something? Using Andloss and/or Meridian for Droid to play my FLACs. Also tested using the V1 as a DAC/AMP on PC playing FLACs/WAVs from Foobar. Volumes just don't go through the roof. I tried it with a pair of sennheiser IEM and the volume on those things sky rocketed so I could get loud (not uncomfortable loud, but it was able to go beyond that to uncomfortable levels). Do I need to simply boost volume of my source media (I don't mind, would just be a hassle to do a large collection), or any other advice to get my volumes up?

Very best,

May 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Heya,

Ok, update after further testing.

I tried different cables and setups.

I hooked up the V1 DAC/AMP to a netbook for a test bed. Loaded up Foobar. Started toying with my MP3's, WAV's and FLAC's. I can definitely get my HD580's to get loud on this AMP, so in that sense, this thing is great. Also, the sound quality at these higher volumes is very good. I'm listening primarily to classical piano (Ludovico Einaudi if anyone cares, my current favorite modern pianist). The harmony of the sound at high levels with crisp notes brings a tear to my eye.

So apparently it's my Droid's fault. It's line out must just put out weak signal or just has a lower volume or something. I'll have to find a way to boost it. Otherwise, I'll just have to buy a separate "source" player to carry around that doesn't have this limitation. I'd prefer not to, as it's just more money spent, but if I have to I will. I'd love to keep it all on the Droid though since I can swap between Pandora One and my music library while still having my phone/net/etc on one device. The volume output from the Droid to the V1 however is stark compared to PC->V1->HD580's. My HD580's roar in that configuration. By for portable, my Droid->V1->HD580's is nice sounding, but the volume doesn't kick up nearly as high.

Confused.

Any advice how to go about this?

Very best,

May 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Heya,

Anyone with experience using a Droid as a source at all?

Could it be as simple as looking for an app that is essentially an EQ and can be used to boost dB of all sound? The V1 drives my 580's nicely when hooked up via USB to a PC. But when I use line-in from my Droid, the volume is much lower. I know the amp can push the cans, so looking for advise on how to ramp up the volume on the Droid.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back