Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Nov 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #511 of 562
See also:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-socal-2023-impressions-thread.969902/page-14

EDIT: I also wonder if the London Can Jam setup had volume attenuated via software upstream?
Very possibly, I'm really not sure, lack of dynamics/power, may align with some kind of software volume issue.

I can't comment on what you heard.
I own a WA33 and a EC Studio T, I've also owned a DNA Stratus and I've heard the Riviera AIC10 (though not in my system). I haven't heard a Primavera.
I personally would take the Viva over all of them, and it pairs extremely well with the Susvara.

I usually run about 10-11 AM volume depending on the track into the Susvara. About the same as I do on the WA33. Your not going to find many amps that require less volume than that just because volume pots are logarithmic, not linear, so 12 o'clock is more like 10% volume than 50%.
WA 33 runs 10W into 32 Ohms, probably closer to 6-8 into 64, I believe the Viva is 15+W into some unspecified impedance so it's hard to directly compare power.

The obvious difference between the Viva and other amps is in the truly massive stage (I've never heard another amp approach it), and macro dynamics/leading edge portrayal are stunning, better than the EC or WA33. The leading edge is so aggressive that I think with the stock tubes it can end up being fatiguing with the wrong DAC.
It also pushes more pronounced bass and better control of it into the Susvara than the WA33 manages.
Yes, I'm certainly not suggesting what I heard was representative of the amp and wasn't about to draw any conclusions. That leading edge, dynamics and sound stage were really lacking - so something was definitely wrong. I know there can be a certain amount of hybole and exaggeration with subjective descriptions and comparisons, but I didn't feel that this was the case when listening at Cam Jam - it was more like, this can't be right, something doesn't feel right - there were too many aspects missing/lacking.

I'll hopefully be able to listen to one of these alongside an AIC-10 at some point for an interesting comparison.

Nov 3, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #512 of 562
Very possibly, I'm really not sure, lack of dynamics/power, may align with some kind of software volume issue.

Yes, I'm certainly not suggesting what I heard was representative of the amp and wasn't about to draw any conclusions. That leading edge, dynamics and sound stage were really lacking - so something was definitely wrong. I know there can be a certain amount of hybole and exaggeration with subjective descriptions and comparisons, but I didn't feel that this was the case when listening at Cam Jam - it was more like, this can't be right, something doesn't feel right - there were too many aspects missing/lacking.

I'll hopefully be able to listen to one of these alongside an AIC-10 at some point for an interesting comparison.
It could also be the Primavera just better suits your preference.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #513 of 562
Recently received mine, and holy crap this amp is good. I really can't say enough good things about it. I have had some pretty high-end headphone amplifiers (see sig) but nothing compares to the power, clarity, and musical nature of this unit. The closest one I would say is the WA33, but even it can't compete.

Hard to describe the sound, but I would say "real" and "honest" are the first that come to mind. The energy is unreal.

Expensive? Absolutely. Money well spent? 100000000%

I just stumbled onto your other thread where you were considering many other TOL tube amps before you ultimately decided on thie Egoista. Which other ones did you listen to, how did they compare, and why did you ultimately go with the Eogista?

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #514 of 562
I just stumbled onto your other thread where you were considering many other TOL tube amps before you ultimately decided on thie Egoista. Which other ones did you listen to, how did they compare, and why did you ultimately go with the Eogista?
Quite a few.

WA33 was current amp before Viva
Envy
Stratus
Nirvana
Multiple electrostatics
Primavera

And many others. What stood out is that to me many of them sounded like different flavors of the same thing, and the Viva sounded more realistic. It was so fast, detailed, and immersive. I know it sounds like a cliche but it was like a veil had been lifted off my music.

Many of the others had a great aspect or two, but the Viva seemed to combine them all into one and then some.

The only one I didn't get to hear that I would have liked to is the WA234 MONO. Same crazy price range and equally silly, but likely just as good in a different way.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #515 of 562
Had a bit more time with the amp. Three favorites so far are:

1. ZMF Caldera - Musical and realistic
2. Atrium Closed - Rich and sultry
3. Focal Utopia - Slam, bam, thank you, mam. The bass is slamming.

Still waiting on ARC 6 on the Dave to break in, only been two weeks.

Going to be experimenting with the front 2 tubes shortly, and swapping the Electro Harmonix 5u4g x2 for Takatsuki 274b x2. Will update on my findings.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #516 of 562
Had a bit more time with the amp. Three favorites so far are:

1. ZMF Caldera - Musical and realistic
2. Atrium Closed - Rich and sultry
3. Focal Utopia - Slam, bam, thank you, mam. The bass is slamming.

Still waiting on ARC 6 on the Dave to break in, only been two weeks.

Going to be experimenting with the front 2 tubes shortly, and swapping the Electro Harmonix 5u4g x2 for Takatsuki 274b x2. Will update on my findings.

Nice! Do you still have your Susvara? Definitely give that a try. The Egoista is one of the few tube HP amps that can drive it well. It's the most powerful SET HP amp I know of.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #517 of 562
Nice! Do you still have your Susvara? Definitely give that a try. The Egoista is one of the few tube HP amps that can drive it well. It's the most powerful SET HP amp I know of.
I have tried it, and it is definitely a winner! Had to put the volume knob at about 1PM, but it did it just fine. However, there is something magic about ZMF cans and tubes.....

Nov 13, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #518 of 562
Here is my Bugatti Blue Viva for reference. Love. This. Amp.

Switched out the front two 5u4gb for Takatsuki 274b. Still running them in bit on early listening it's more "full", and not quite as "spacial" as the factory set. But they have only been cooking for 2 days. Going to give it a few weeks to come to final conclusion.

20231113_144021.jpg

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #520 of 562
Hey all,

Have you done any tube rolling with the Viva? Been considering a set of psvane 845 to complement the Takatsuki 274b.

What are your favorite combos? And what did it change?

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #521 of 562
Hey all,

Have you done any tube rolling with the Viva? Been considering a set of psvane 845 to complement the Takatsuki 274b.

What are your favorite combos? And what did it change?

Go back a few pages on this thread and you'll see some discussion on tubes. My current tube complement is RCA 5U4GB, Elrog 845, 1960s Melz 1578 for 6sn7, and 1970s Voskhod 6N1P-EV.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #522 of 562
I hope to hear this amplifier in CanJam New York. I saw it at the table last year but it was too crowded.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #524 of 562
I hope to hear this amplifier in CanJam New York. I saw it at the table last year but it was too crowded.
I was fortunate enough to get a listen at CanJam Chicago. I was so impressed I ended up buying one. Be warned that once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #525 of 562
Hahaha! Oh lovely.
$$$$$$$$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back