Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Jul 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #286 of 562
#romaz, I'm waiting from Amedeo the answer for the XLRs (SE or symetrized) ??

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #287 of 562
VIVA (Egoista) ITALIA !!!

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178582735.html#p178582735
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/amplificateurs-casques-f1484/viva-egoista-best-of-the-best-t30060926-255.html
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178583114.html#p178583114

Tour De France 2014 

Vincenzo NIBALI

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #288 of 562
Hello the forum,

Amedeo gave some details for the technical about the outputs. Consider those are personal opinion and would be unfair to disclose it to damage Viva brand name.

About your question, the 3Pin XLRs are wired together with the integrated Jacks. Both jacks serve both channels, as standard (you can connect two HP together with them), and the XLRs are separate between channels.

In other words, the XLRs are, for example, for the Abyss, separate between channels (one for Left connector, one for Right one).
Each of the Jacks, concentric to XLRs, deliver the stereo signal. They are all wired with the secondary wires of the output transformers, and this was pretty much tough work to do.

The 4-pin XLRs are both stereo, accordingly to the standard of the Audezes. They could not be wired directly with the output transformers wires (for the miracles we are improving our organization...), but the connection is the most direct possible (and, in any case, more direct than any does...).

In any case, and I would be very clear about, because this is our statement, they are not balanced. Balanced connections are the new scam of audiophiles. This is our strong opinion and we pursue it, after years of study, listenings, works etc.

I have understood that future Egoistas will be equipped like this.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #289 of 562
  Hello the forum,

Amedeo gave some details for the technical about the outputs. Consider those are personal opinion and would be unfair to disclose it to damage Viva brand name.

Obviously a very definitive statement.  Thank you for posting it.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #290 of 562
  Hello the forum,

Good read. Why no speaker taps? Can it be an option? There is serious competition offering speaker taps in addition to headphones outputs:

- Eddie Current 2A3/445
- Woo Audio WA5
- Woo 234 Monos

I think I can guess the answer. Still something to think about in terms of competitiveness. :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #291 of 562
Yes speaker taps. I heard that Amedeo would have plans.

I know that there are offers of multi functions amps.
But output transformers are specifically designed for headphones or for speakers in any amp.
Personally I prefer to keep my amps working for the task specified and not mix functions.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #292 of 562
Yes speaker taps. I heard that Amedeo would have plans.

I know that there are offers of multi functions amps.
But output transformers are specifically designed for headphones or for speakers in any amp.
Personally I prefer to keep my amps working for the task specified and not mix functions.

That's surely fine, but for many considerations (space/heat), especially at 10k, I would prefer to have both options.

After all it's not too hard driving headphones even with a tube amp, by adding resistors in parallel on the speaker taps to bring the impedance down to 8 ohms...

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #293 of 562

Good read. Why no speaker taps? Can it be an option? There is serious competition offering speaker taps in addition to headphones outputs:

- Eddie Current 2A3/445
- Woo Audio WA5
- Woo 234 Monos

I think I can guess the answer. Still something to think about in terms of competitiveness. :)

I may be wrong but I believe someone here has already ordered an Egoista 2A3 custom fitted by Viva with speaker taps.  As you have stated very aptly, there is much serious competition to the Egoista 2A3 (not so much the 845) and due diligence forces me to make sure I know first hand (as much as possible) where the Egoista stands.  I was unable to make it to the San Francisco meet yesterday but I have an appointment to spend a few hours with Craig Uthus at his shop this Thursday to listen to his new "Studio" amp as well as his new 2A3 Mk III.  I will also have his 445 to be able to compare with.  Unfortunately, I have no easy option to audition the Woo 234 Monos anytime soon although its extreme price (almost equivalent to owning both the Egoista 845 and 2A3) makes it less attractive.  I already know what the WA5 sounds like and I feel the Egoista is better.

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #294 of 562
I would like to address any misunderstanding about my opinion on the 845 as I am finding that I am being misconstrued on other websites and perhaps this is due to language barriers.  I do not believe the 845 is a fatiguing amp.  It is certainly not a bright amp and is an amp that can be enjoyed for hours on end with the right headphone.  Much more so than the 2A3, the 845 is a statement amp that may be the last amp one will ever wish to own because this amp is without peer.  It is that good.  

My personal issue is with the Abyss 1266 as I am sensitive to a brightness in its treble region that is fatiguing for me with certain tracks, especially pop tracks and tracks with a lot of electric instruments.  I am not alone in this opinion as others on Head-fi have gone so far as to create a "mod" for their Abyss to address this issue.  There are also those who have replaced the very expensive "alumiloy" cables that come with the Abyss for a less expensive "all copper" cable.  While the 845 does better than transistor amps to ameliorate this problem for me, it doesn't go far enough.  Regardless, if there are those who own an Abyss or who have spent quality time with an Abyss and are not bothered by this, there is nothing that I say that should alter your opinion of this very fine headphone.  In fact, I am so enamored by the Abyss' other qualities that I am expecting to purchase an Abyss along with an HE-1000 as I believe this combination will comfortably surpass the Stax headphone I have now.  

The interesting thing for me is if I believed that the HE-1000 could satisfy me by itself, I would actually purchase the 845 as I believe this pairing to be exquisite.  Because I also crave what the Abyss brings to the table and believe that I need both to make me happiest, it is for this reason I lean in the direction of the 2A3 as this amp tames the issues that I have with the Abyss without giving up too much of the dynamics of the 845.  As I have had both Egoistas in my possession now for 3 weeks (going on 4), I am also comfortable stating that the 2A3 seems to having better low volume dynamics.  The 845 sounds best at moderate to high volumes (especially with the Abyss) and more quickly loses it richness in the midrange as you turn the volume pot down compared to the 2A3.  Since most of my listening is at lower volumes, this is for me a big deal and is very difficult for anyone to assess in the noisy environment of a CanJam.  I emphasize again that if you already have personal experience with the Abyss on the 845 and you have none of these issues, don't let anything I say dissuade you as my issues are my own.  Those who have not experienced the Egoistas for themselves, you owe it to yourself to find out what all the commotion is about.  These amps will very capably speak for themselves.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #296 of 562
  ....For the HE 1000 it has been a great disappointment for me

Can you elaborate please.   I am indeed about to get one HE1000...

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #297 of 562

I may be wrong but I believe someone here has already ordered an Egoista 2A3 custom fitted by Viva with speaker taps.  As you have stated very aptly, there is much serious competition to the Egoista 2A3 (not so much the 845) and due diligence forces me to make sure I know first hand (as much as possible) where the Egoista stands.  I was unable to make it to the San Francisco meet yesterday but I have an appointment to spend a few hours with Craig Uthus at his shop this Thursday to listen to his new "Studio" amp as well as his new 2A3 Mk III.  I will also have his 445 to be able to compare with.  Unfortunately, I have no easy option to audition the Woo 234 Monos anytime soon although its extreme price (almost equivalent to owning both the Egoista 845 and 2A3) makes it less attractive.  I already know what the WA5 sounds like and I feel the Egoista is better.

Look forward to your impressions, albeit the source/rest of system obviously plays a role. What headphones are you going to hear or take with you?

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #298 of 562

Can you elaborate please.   I am indeed about to get one HE1000...

Look at the Tellementnomade.org"s HE1000 Thread. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #299 of 562
WOW - You multilingual people are awsome...
L3000.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #300 of 562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back