Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Jul 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #196 of 562
Ah, it seems that post has been min-interpreted, I meant that I will own the 845 and one of the dacs at some point. I'm waiting for comparisons myself!

I will endeavour to get both units at the same time, but I'm not sure if I can find the right suppliers to do so.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #197 of 562
  Upgraded Numerico vs TotalDAC Tube MK2 and the 845.

Patience, patience. This set, in some combination, will be mine :¬)

Looking forward to more impressions romaz! Thanks so far.

Here is Vincent Brient's response regarding the TotalDac Tube Mk2 and an 845 tube amp:

"If your system (amplifier + headphone) sound very dynamic, transistor like, and tend to do too much in this direction the d1-tube-mk2 can be a good match."

"the d1-tube-mk2 is loved by most of those who have it, which are most time tube lovers and vinyl lovers, many said it sounds like a good turntable. Voices are exceptional. It is certainly a good match with a very dynamic 845 amp. "

One reviewer (http://hifipig.com/totaldac-d1-tubedac/) combined it with his tube amp (
Emille KI40-L valve class A amplifier) and described the combination as having "the most organic and natural reproduction of any digital source I have ever encountered or even thought possible."

You will be interested to know that Vincent himself has an 845 tube amp but for speakers, not for headphones.  What DAC does he use for this amp?  Of course, he would use his very best DAC which is the d1-twelve for nearly 30k Euros.   Is this DAC 3x better than the d1-tube or d1-dual?  It's hard to imagine that it would be.  For that money, I can buy both Egoista amps, the Abyss, HE1000 and LCD3f and just keep my very good DirectStream DAC.

Is French "savoir faire" better than Italian "black magic?"  Maybe someone here already knows the answer.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #198 of 562
  Here is Vincent Brient's response regarding the TotalDac Tube Mk2 and an 845 tube amp:

"If your system (amplifier + headphone) sound very dynamic, transistor like, and tend to do too much in this direction the d1-tube-mk2 can be a good match."

"the d1-tube-mk2 is loved by most of those who have it, which are most time tube lovers and vinyl lovers, many said it sounds like a good turntable. Voices are exceptional. It is certainly a good match with a very dynamic 845 amp. "

One reviewer (http://hifipig.com/totaldac-d1-tubedac/) combined it with his tube amp (
Emille KI40-L valve class A amplifier) and described the combination as having "the most organic and natural reproduction of any digital source I have ever encountered or even thought possible."

You will be interested to know that Vincent himself has an 845 tube amp but for speakers, not for headphones.  What DAC does he use for this amp?  Of course, he would use his very best DAC which is the d1-twelve for nearly 30k Euros.   Is this DAC 3x better than the d1-tube or d1-dual?  It's hard to imagine that it would be.  For that money, I can buy both Egoista amps, the Abyss, HE1000 and LCD3f and just keep my very good DirectStream DAC.

Is French "savoir faire" better than Italian "black magic?"  Maybe someone here already knows the answer.

Thanks! So tempting, but no immediate need to commit yet before knowing more about the upgraded Numerico :¬)

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #199 of 562
Thanks! So tempting, but no immediate need to commit yet before knowing more about the upgraded Numerico :¬)

Yoga, I am sorry to Tell you that there is no "upgraded" Numerico. Indeed, here is exactly what Amadeo wrote me about this rumour :

" Regarding the question, I am really impressed about how the news run... I am in USA for many reasons, but I am simply going to update an early sample of the really pre-series of Numerico for a client. It is just an intervention to make his unit as in the same configuration of the regular production player.
The regular production Numerico is already updated "

So.... NO need to wait for a new version. You can jump on it now :)

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #200 of 562
Yoga, I am sorry to Tell you that there is no "upgraded" Numerico. Indeed, here is exactly what Amadeo wrote me about this rumour :

" Regarding the question, I am really impressed about how the news run... I am in USA for many reasons, but I am simply going to update an early sample of the really pre-series of Numerico for a client. It is just an intervention to make his unit as in the same configuration of the regular production player.
The regular production Numerico is already updated "

So.... NO need to wait for a new version. You can jump on it now :)

bmichels, very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #201 of 562
  You have piqued my interest in the TotalDAC even more. I have wondered about the d1-Tube-Mk2 for a while now.  As you know, this DAC was specifically designed only for single ended amps and these days, it seems mostly tube amps are single ended so it would appear Vincent meant to pair a tube DAC with a tube amp.  If this tube DAC can bring some of the 2A3's fluidity and musical immediacy to the 845's dynamic presence and air, then you have the best of both worlds and what I would imagine would be my true end game situation.  Here is Vincent's interview on Mono and Stereo earlier this year:  

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/03/interview-with-vincent-brient-of.html.

In the interview, you will read him say that he believes the Mk2 version of the d1-Tube may become his best seller and this upgraded version is now equal to the d1 dual in every way except for the tube output.  The price is now also the same for both.  Anyway, I have e-mailed Vincent and we'll see what he has to say.

You might also want to know that according to my Viva dealer, Amedeo will be in the U.S. next week to perform a "significant upgrade" to the Numerico.  No one seems to know what that means, however.  I am told that Amadeo designed the Numerico as a DAC first and foremost and when he realized he had enough room leftover in the case, he decided to add a CD transport and so it would appear the CD transport is the afterthought and not the other way around.  Anyway, in the words of my dealer who sells many different brands of high end DACs besides the Viva:  "It is the best DAC I have ever heard period."  I suspect you can't go wrong with either the Numerico or a TotalDac but I have requested to audition this upgraded Numerico once it becomes available.  I can only imagine the synergy with the Egoista will be very special.

Hello,

Thank you for the link. I new yet those details since Vincent posts a lot on the French forum :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/source-dematerialisee-haute-fidelite-et-dac/dac-totaldac-t29963819.html

We will keep in mind that he is a skillful engineer but also a talented seller. If you ask him if a Single DAC for an SE amp wouldn't be enough he will answer you that the Dual DAC is better.
But it is true that he specialized in DAC technology when Viva are far more oriented amps and speakers.

Though I'm not sure that in an headphone setup resolution is enough to tell that one DAC is better than the other....
At the meeting I listened to the Numerico, the TotalDAC and a 2Qute.
You will also compare by yourself.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #202 of 562
  Hello,

Thank you for the link. I new yet those details since Vincent posts a lot on the French forum :

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/source-dematerialisee-haute-fidelite-et-dac/dac-totaldac-t29963819.html

We will keep in mind that he is a skillful engineer but also a talented seller. If you ask him if a Single DAC for an SE amp wouldn't be enough he will answer you that the Dual DAC is better.
But it is true that he specialized in DAC technology when Viva are far more oriented amps and speakers.

Though I'm not sure that in an headphone setup resolution is enough to tell that one DAC is better than the other....
At the meeting I listened to the Numerico, the TotalDAC and a 2Qute.
You will also compare by yourself.

Very well expressed.  Thank you for your insights.

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #203 of 562
The comparison begins...

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #205 of 562
Jul 5, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #209 of 562

Meeting in Grenoble, France.
large equipment:
Dac Ayon Stealth, ampli AudioValve RKVIII, Aurorasound Heada et le Moon 430HA
, Viva Egoista 2A3, Viva 845 le RudiStor RP8K-VT, le Luxman P700-u et le serveur QAT RS3
Aurender S10, un dac Totaldac D1 Dual, dac /  Viva Numerico, Eddie Current 445, Chord Hugo
Headphone : Grado PS 1000, RudiStor MD2, Ultrasone Edition 5, Kennerton Magister, Oppo PM1, Audeze LCD-X (2) JPS Labs Abyss (3) Sennheiser HD800, Fostex TH900 (3) Denon AHD-7100

Jul 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #210 of 562

Meeting in Grenoble, France.
large equipment:
Dac Ayon Stealth, ampli AudioValve RKVIII, Aurorasound Heada et le Moon 430HA
, Viva Egoista 2A3, Viva 845 le RudiStor RP8K-VT, le Luxman P700-u et le serveur QAT RS3
Aurender S10, un dac Totaldac D1 Dual, dac /  Viva Numerico, Eddie Current 445, Chord Hugo
Headphone : Grado PS 1000, RudiStor MD2, Ultrasone Edition 5, Kennerton Magister, Oppo PM1, Audeze LCD-X (2) JPS Labs Abyss (3) Sennheiser HD800, Fostex TH900 (3) Denon AHD-7100

Woah!

How many people attending for impressions, and where will the results be shared? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back