Viva Egoista 845 SET Tube amplifier 10K Headphone Masterpiece
Jul 31, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #331 of 562

Some are quite rare like this almost 100 years old recording :)

Oh Wagner ! I can understand that people like his music, but for me its to much "Germanic" and too much hero epos. I think it remind me to much on our very dark history.  

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #332 of 562

Hello cladane,
its just one DAC, it is the DAC which belongs to the REGA ISIS. The Combination of Egoista & ISIS is for my ears just PERFECT !  It is so perfect, that I now begin to sell my whole listening Equipment and only hold the two and the Abyss.      

It must be a very sweet DAC inside the REGA Reference ISIS Tube CD Player, but... since it's DAC is limited to 16/44, then it can't really be used as the center of a Music system that will combine CD and Music fille library.

This "limitation" will oblige most of us to owe a 2nd DAC for streaming our music files.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #333 of 562

It must be a very sweet DAC inside the REGA Reference ISIS Tube CD Player, but... since it's DAC is limited to 16/44, then it can't really be used as the center of a Music system that will combine CD and Music fille library.

This "limitation" will oblige most of us to owe a 2nd DAC for streaming our music files.

Yes that can be true for people which which want streaming and music files. I want to get free from all my large equipment, but still like the analog feeling of insert a CD in the Top Loading mechanism of my REGA. 

BUT back to topic and the EGOISTA !

I' am happy when I get home this evening an see the fine glowing Tubes ! 

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #335 of 562

Thank you for your kind help !

I choosed the 845 because I think the Abyss did need the power of the 845. The poti on my egoista is between 13.00 and 15.00 a clock, so you see I like to listen loud to my TPO Music. I don't think that this will possible with the 2a3.

I have the mellow tone of the 2a3Tubes when I listen to voices, because my CD Player has a Tube Dac . 

The Abyss is a very hungry monster and he need as much as he can get from a amp.   

You chose well, FiftyKilo.  The Porsche Blue against the glow of those tubes is stunning!  

Obviously, if you are listening to the 845 with the pot between 13.00 and 15.00, no other amp will do for you.  And for organ music, I can't think of a setup that provides better dynamic range than your combo of the 845 and Abyss.  Furthermore, I do think the forward nature of the 845 is balanced well by a tube DAC.  It would be my leaning as well.  And even though I have heard some excellent SACD recordings, it is amazing how good well-recorded Redbook can sound and there is so much of it available.

I hope you have many hours of blissful listening! 

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #336 of 562
I will look at the REGA Reference ISIS Tube CD Player. Is it THAT good ! :) Not too melow sound to hide détails ? Still precise enough ?

And I can understand the Physical aspect of your music. Here is my classical music collection of 1500 CD :)

Very nice collection!  Do you have all of it transferred to a hard drive or NAS?

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #337 of 562
  Any VIVA owners/auditioners heard the Woo 234?

The California Audio Show in San Francisco is scheduled for August 14-15.  Woo will have a booth there and I have e-mailed Jack to see if he will be bringing his 234s as I am curious as well.  Perhaps you'll want to take a brief holiday to San Fransico that weekend  
wink_face.gif

https://caaudioshow.com/cas6-exhibitors

For your sake, I have also asked him if Woo will have a presence at the CanJam in London.  I'll let you know what he says.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #338 of 562
  The California Audio Show in San Francisco is scheduled for August 14-15.  Woo will have a booth there and I have e-mailed Jack to see if he will be bringing his 234s as I am curious as well.  Perhaps you'll want to take a brief holiday to San Fransico that weekend  
wink_face.gif

https://caaudioshow.com/cas6-exhibitors

For your sake, I have also asked him if Woo will have a presence at the CanJam in London.  I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks - much appreciated!

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #339 of 562
  Very nice collection!  Do you have all of it transferred to a hard drive or NAS?

Not yet.  Still need to RIP all of them carefully.  Does someone want to volunter for this task (and get a free copy of the ripped files ) ?  
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #340 of 562

Hi romaz,
yes I'am absolut happy with my Combo. The weekend was filled with many fine hours of very realistic TPO Concert Music. I also think the RedBook Standard of CD's is more than enough for me.

Last year the English Company AudioNote release a 230.000,- € CD Player (only for  RedBook standard ) and a friend of mine which is HiFi journalist did audition the Player. 

He was absolut thrilled from what he did heard with this player and told me, that he never did hear so good Music from any other music equipment ( Vinyl - Tape - HighRes etc. ) . 

So it mind be, that there is a good potenial in this old silver CD's .
Regards
Ralf

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #341 of 562
I feel the same way about RBS like FiftyKilo. I mainly listen to vinyl and cds. Regarding Audio Note UK, they are going to release a ladder DAC which apparently is even better than the 230k player+dac combo FityKilo mentioned. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #342 of 562
Last year the English Company AudioNote release a 230.000,- € CD Player (only for  RedBook standard ) and a friend of mine which is HiFi journalist did audition the Player. 

He was absolut thrilled from what he did heard with this player and told me, that he never did hear so good Music from any other music equipment ( Vinyl - Tape - HighRes etc. ) . 
I feel the same way about RBS like FiftyKilo. I mainly listen to vinyl and cds. Regarding Audio Note UK, they are going to release a ladder DAC which apparently is even better than the 230k player+dac combo FityKilo mentioned. 

Your perspective is unique and I personally find it very intriguing. Where the world seems to be heading towards hi-res digital, there are still some that cling to vinyl and for good reason since even the highest resolution digital recording can never contain the infinite and continuous palate of information found within an analog medium like tape or vinyl. No matter how high the resolution, a digital file will always be made up of discrete and finite bits and the best that a digital file can ever sound is to sound "analog." The finest systems I have ever heard have always been attached to a turntable or reel to reel tape player. If only there were a greater variety of vinyl records to choose from, without question, I would just buy a good turntable and be done with it. As we know, however, because of convenience, analog medium is not the future and so we find ourselves with digital files.

With regards to digital files, I also agree with you that there is plenty of information within standard redbook media that with the right DAC, redbook can sound just as good if not better than much of the hi-res that is available today and with so much more variety to choose from. There have been so many instances when I have listened to a demonstration and was convinced I was listening to hi-res only to find out I was listening to a good CD player. I believe a large reason for this is that so many of the hi-res digital files you can buy today were never mastered in hi-res but rather upsampled from redbook which is really a crime. Presently, any DAC that I am looking at today, I am more interested in how well it plays redbook than how well it plays hi-res. With that said, with proper recording equipment, I believe one day in the future, we will see proper hi-def tracks consistently be better than redbook. Unfortunately, because most people in the world today are content with downloading compressed mp3s to play on their iPhones, there is very little motivation for recording companies to move in this direction quickly.

What intrigues me about you, Ralf, is that you would consider paying 230,000 € for a CD player :normal_smile :. You, my friend, are someone that I will be following because of your bold choices. There are audiophiles that are so wealthy that they have the ability to buy anything and yet they have no understanding or true appreciation of what they have. I do not consider such people true audiophiles but rather collectors of nice things or crowd followers and I am generally not interested in much that they have to say. I would guess that you would never find such people on Head-fi because they probably would not be able to carry an intelligent conversation about their equipment. Yet, someone like you who clearly loves music and who is intelligent and discerning and bold about their choices, enough to ask Joe Skubinski to create a modified Abyss for you, if you say a 230,000 € CD player is worth it, I find myself wanting to hear that CD player as I imagine it will be as good as you say it is. Furthermore, because of you, I am currently in the early stages of conversation with Joe Skubinski about having him modify an Abyss for me similar to yours. In addition to having the ability to handle the subsonics of an organ, I am also hoping he can help me tame the brightness of the Abyss that I am sensitive to.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #344 of 562
Hello there,

I should want to give here my opinion about Redbook based on real life, I mean concert hearing versus reproduction technology.
When you sit in the stalls and people are quiet sound is 40db.
Then the Orchestra plays and outputs 120db.
So at your place you hear a 80db sounding.

Knowing that a CD hasn't more than 45db S/N ratio, you do need to compress.
In an HiRes registering you can go until the 80db. Of course at mastering stage so if the recording is true HiRes.
You hear the difference in a resolving system (source, dac, amp, cans).
SACD is quite closed to HiRes.

I agree with #romaz that plenty of HiRes files are only upsampled and don't sound better than CD.
For sure I think that 80% of musical production is in CD format so why CD isn't dead for a long time.
Not so much people can afford resolving setups and music producers sell what people buy.

On a 230 000€ CD player, it's not resolution but presentation.
It must be the first player boxed into an antigravitational field.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #345 of 562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back