Vitamin Q questions
Jul 30, 2008 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Posts
960
Likes
156
Location
St. Louis, MO, USA
ok so I'm looking at getting some Vitamin Q's from L.A. Surplus electronics on ebay, and I have some questions. They're going to be used on Aliens and Milletts (for now anyway). So I'm wondering, in your experience, what part numbers are the best sounding? 96P27491S2, 196P22491S4, or 191P47451S2? And would a .47uf sound better than say a .27 or .22uf of the same beginning part number?
 
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 8

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Posts
9,627
Likes
72
Location
Toronto
They're all Vitamin Q, and I personally haven't been able to compare exact same series against each other, but they do sound great as coupling caps or bypassing BlackGate NX.
smily_headphones1.gif


Those values are very small, make sure you know what cutoff frequency you're looking for.
 
Jul 31, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 8

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Posts
3,394
Likes
72
Location
CO, USA
when used in my Sony D-35 Discman's line-out coupling, the 96p is more even and relaxed, while the 196p have a slightly more emphasized mid range (therefore more upfront). 191 is a little "harder" sounding. All are very good and all have a slight glare in upper female vocal. I personally like the 96p the most.

But I suppose you are using these caps for headphone output bypassing, their reaction might be very different there...
 
Aug 1, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 8

04BluMach

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
143
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so I'm looking at getting some Vitamin Q's from L.A. Surplus electronics on ebay, and I have some questions. They're going to be used on Aliens and Milletts (for now anyway). So I'm wondering, in your experience, what part numbers are the best sounding? 96P27491S2, 196P22491S4, or 191P47451S2? And would a .47uf sound better than say a .27 or .22uf of the same beginning part number?


Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're all Vitamin Q, and I personally haven't been able to compare exact same series against each other, but they do sound great as coupling caps or bypassing BlackGate NX.
smily_headphones1.gif


Those values are very small, make sure you know what cutoff frequency you're looking for.




From what I've gleaned over time on the Sprague Vitamin Q caps are that they are Spragues registered Trademarked and propriatary implementation of Paper In Oil Capacitors. The Oil was a propriatary formulation and forms the basis for any and all Vitamin Q capacitors. As FallenAngel indicates, they are all PIO. That is what the Sprague Vitamin Q trademark name is all about....

So if they say Sprague Vitamin Q - they are PIO caps (assuming they are real NOS - not fakes). Whereas, if they just have Sprague stamped on a similar case (no Vitamin Q) they are not PIO. Example of that is an 118 series - metalized paper and polyester film that is impregnated with wax.

The only real difference between the 191 and 196/96 Caps that I can determine is the paper that is used. I believe its properties for the 191P allows higher capacitence within a smaller case size but at lower equivalent LOWER working Voltages. I don't believe the 191 series can achieve or really support high voltages. Definitely not 600vdc and probly not 400v either. I'm not sure but I would guess the paper is thinner allowing arcing at high voltages (just my thoughts). Also, the 191P's perform slightly lower than the equivalent 196P in a signal path coupling role - a little glaze/veil with a slight etch to the highs. We are talking very minor (last 10%) stuff here!

While I've never tried out the 96 series (only 196P's), I believe they are very similar. Just not sure. And I've never "heard" any that I am aware of.

As far as a small value bypass for Coupling Caps and especially in bypass of large value Bypass Caps, I think you will have a difficult time hearing any appreciable difference. So I wouldn't have any problem using the smaller 191P to be used in a lower voltage small value bypass role. Such as DC Bypass for low voltage power supply applications.

But when dealing with small value coupling cap bypasses for in signal path applications - go for the top of line 196/96P Vita Q's. You aren't going to save all that much $'s or size over these. And you have the comfort of knowing the "best" Q is in place...
atsmile.gif


Good Luck.... and Enjoy!
 
Aug 2, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 8

04BluMach

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
143
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when used in my Sony D-35 Discman's line-out coupling, the 96p is more even and relaxed, while the 196p have a slightly more emphasized mid range (therefore more upfront). 191 is a little "harder" sounding. All are very good and all have a slight glare in upper female vocal. I personally like the 96p the most.

But I suppose you are using these caps for headphone output bypassing, their reaction might be very different there...



Good info on the 96p. From your listening impressions, it sounds like I need to try them out sometime!

Thanks for the info!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top