Vista vs XP - 32bit or 64bit?
Feb 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

spike33

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm buying a new computer. I decided on getting 4gb of ram and XP Home sp3. The builder says XP Home can only use 2gb of ram, and suggests I upgrade to XP Pro to use 3.5gb of ram or go 64 bit vista to use all 4gb. Is this all true? I've searched around and most people say all 32bit editions of XP can use around 3.5gb. I'm not sure I want to go vista route since windows 7 is coming out soon.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 16
Yes, you have to get a 64 bit operating system to have that full 4GB regardless. Its a hardware issue.

But I don't know why upgrading from XP Home to Pro would somehow make a difference. Sounds kinda shady to me.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you have to get a 64 bit operating system to have that full 4GB regardless. Its a hardware issue.

But I don't know why upgrading from XP Home to Pro would somehow make a difference. Sounds kinda shady to me.

It's an OS architecture issue, not a hardware issue.

spike33, I'm sure you can survive on 3.5GBs of RAM until Windows 7 arrives. But I guess in the end, it's up to you. Either XP Home Edition or Vista Home Premium x64 would be your best bet.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 16
Basically I want to know if XP Home can use 3+ gigs, for sure. This is the first time I've heard there's a 2gb limit so it was surprising.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you could just use win 7 64bit beta till it comes out and u can buy it. save u buying something just now when u know the new version is comming out soon

This strikes me as the best possible solution. Good Idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically I want to know if XP Home can use 3+ gigs, for sure. This is the first time I've heard there's a 2gb limit so it was surprising.

Yes theres a limit, but its at 3GB I believe, not 2. The 32bit OS' won't be able to utilize all 4GB of your ram if you have that much.

I just built a new computer, and I'm installing XP Home 32bit on it. I have 4GB ram max, but the 32bit will only take advantage of 3GB max. The only reason why I'm doing this is because I know that it will be a stable set up. XP 32bit has been very stable for myself and everyone that I know, whereas Win XP 64bit, Vista 64bit, and even Win 7 64bit beta has been unstable for some people, and has caused BSOD on ton's of people's computers.

I'm just going to be patient and wait until SP1 is released for Win7, or at least until I know how stable it will be. I can live with 3GB of ram until then.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 16
I'm sticking with XP till 7 comes out. It doesn't use every last ounce of RAM (got 4 in there), but XP doesn't need all that either.
XP 64bit is a good option as long as you're sure you've got your drivers covered. Most stuff is ok (nvidia, amd, intel, other big brands), but soundmax audio drivers can be hard to find. On laptops it's probably not such a good idea as they're specific hardware is not always supported. Vista is much better with 64bit driver support.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Feb 18, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Unless you're a heavy gamer or do serious photo/video editing or design, 2-3GB is usually plenty for XP Pro. Hell, I used my laptop as a desktop replacement for awhile and it only has 1GB.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 16
My b on the hardware/software issue.

There are work-arounds to get that bit to show up on 32 bit windows but I guess its not completely recommended as it can screw up and blue screen on you. So if you want that, try and go 64 bit Vista or 7, XP 64 does have some awful support issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back