Vista RAM Question
Oct 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

azncookiecutter

Headphoneus Supremus
To all that uses Vista everyday, here's a question. I'm at university right now, and I can get Vista Business for free, and thinking of installing on my laptop. Does it run well with only 1 GB of RAM? I also have a 32 MB Mobility Radeon 9600 video card, and I'm pretty sure it won't run Aero, so I'm not too concerned about it. But been hearing about RAM issues, so it would be good if someone can clarify it.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To all that uses Vista everyday, here's a question. I'm at university right now, and I can get Vista Business for free, and thinking of installing on my laptop. Does it run well with only 1 GB of RAM? I also have a 32 MB Mobility Radeon 9600 video card, and I'm pretty sure it won't run Aero, so I'm not too concerned about it. But been hearing about RAM issues, so it would be good if someone can clarify it.

I wouldn't try to run it with 1 GB of RAM. I have 1.5 and consider that a healthy minimum, but YMMV.

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i run it on my dell latitude x300 which has 768mb ram and it works fine.

just no aero cause of the laptop vga...but totally operable. you can switch off fancy effects and lean the gui down and its good to go.

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Vista Home Premium running with 1gb ram on a laptop here . . . . after I minimized the fluff & frills and it runs fine.
Nothing to rave about, but perfectly usable.
Sort of like XP with 512 ram, it is the minimum recommended and it is functional for most people.

I am runnning it on my laptop until the warranty expires so I have no issues if I need support, but plan to swap it out for XP after that.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 9
It will at least run, even if some of the nice effects and functions are turned off. They aren't really necessary anyway, the just look nice. I've gotten too used to them to turn them off though.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Make sure you can get drivers for you parts? Does the video card have Vista Drivers?

I wouldn't wish Vista on my worst enemy. We're evaluating it at work and it's mind numbing.

Mitch

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, running DH Mobility Modder drivers right now with my laptop, and apparently, there's support for Vista, so I'm not concerned on that end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back