Vista CPU Usage...What...
Mar 27, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 41
What exactly are the specs of your laptop?

Chances are you've got a lot of crappy pre-installed bloat on your laptop. If you can't do a clean re-install of the OS, just uninstall any trial software or whatever you don't need. That should at least help.

Mar 27, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #17 of 41
it takes days to index? What? (first time i used that i think). my lappy does not take that long on a new boot or restore from previous hd or even firewire plug in running from external slower disk with crap installed. what is wrong with vista to make it take days or a night even?

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it takes days to index? What? (first time i used that i think). my lappy does not take that long on a new boot or restore from previous hd or even firewire plug in running from external slower disk with crap installed. what is wrong with vista to make it take days or a night even?

depends on the size of HDD, number of files and the priority given to Indexing service.

if your aim is speed in indexing..then it can be completed within few hours...but you wont be able to properly use your computer as lot of CPU timing will be used up

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #19 of 41
To help you out here, you need to tell us the spec`s of both laptops/

CPU Speed and type?
Memory? What type? Speed and how much?
HDD size and Speed?

WE need to know all of the facts here to give you better advise

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #25 of 41
Opera > FF imho, way quicker and leaner for me

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opera > FF imho, way quicker and leaner for me

I love the functionality of Opera, the interface is light years ahead of IE or Firefox but I do have to say that IE8 is blazing fast, IE7 was Fing ridiculously slow. Give IE8 a try, its damn good. You will need it for the occasional website anyway if you use Opera.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 41
I use IE8 only for compatability, like you say Opera doesn't work well on a very few sites.

FF is so slow I can start FF from a quick launch Icon and then launch 2 instances of Opera, and the Opera windows will BOTH be running before FF.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of my fav tweak guides for vista:

NBR Vista Tips and Tweaks Guide - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion

regarding the memory spike issue..which version of Firefox are u using? ..it is infamous for memory leaks...causing memory usage to spike upto 3 times.

i have screenshots of firefox consuming 1 GB of RAM.

No, no, NO! Those "tweaks" will hurt your system performance, not help it. Vista is not XP; stop treating it as such. To get its best performance, leave it alone - it gets faster over time, not slower like XP.

To the OP: Give it a week for SuperFetch and Indexing to learn your machine and your habits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back