Vista CPU Usage...What...
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're saying all this disable stuff but you don't tell me HOW...

Have you removed the microsoft update for "Search 4.0"? Do this first and then see where you stand, all oter updates for Vista should be installed.

Start
Control Panel
Programs
Check "list installed updates"
Find "Search 4.0"
Remove it from your system
Restart your computer
Start
Control panel
Windows Update (make sure you have all updates except 4.0 search) On the update page you can tick a box to have it not show up any more.
Run your cleanup utility
Run disk defrag utility
Enjoy.

vistacontrolpanel.jpg

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're saying all this disable stuff but you don't tell me HOW...

There's something called google. I've already given you what to search for, now if you type in google "disabling " that feature plus reading what it does (ie UAC) then you can come to the conlusion if you should disable it yourself, and then typing in google "disable vista uac"

We're not here to wipe your bottom.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #33 of 41
UAC is not your problem. UAC is an ocassional pop-up when you install a program or a new program wants to access the internet or when certain programs run. It wont make your CPU usage high and disabling it just lowers your security.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UAC is not your problem. UAC is an ocassional pop-up when you install a program or a new program wants to access the internet or when certain programs run. It wont make your CPU usage high and disabling it just lowers your security.

It's a pain in the ass.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went back to XP Professional. My hard drive was ALWAYS cranking away. It's a Raptor drive as well. I don't know if it was indexing or what.

Well how long did you give it?

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #39 of 41
3-4 months... I got it free at a Microsoft meeting (Vista Ultimate). So it wasn't like I lost any money going back to XP. XP is just much faster on my desktop than Vista was. I also bought a MacBook Pro. My wife uses the desktop now. XP is perfect for her, and the software she uses. I use Fusion 2 on the Mac. I installed Vista and Windows 7 on it, but have not played around with them much.

By the way... As I recall, the windows experience on my desktop was a 4.4 overall. I believe because my CPU was not dual core.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #40 of 41
First of all, I doubt your drive was thrashing; raptors are just noisy. But if your drive was thrashing after 3-4 months, that was some other program, not Windows. I've used countless Vista machines and installs (upwards of 40 different setups) and none of them had that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back