Vista 64-bit...Feedback on compatibility
May 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 26
After 1.5 years of vista, I installed xp on my desktop, vow, I didnt remember anything this fast, maybe because never tried my Wolfdale core with xp.
Good. old xp..

May 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, vista 64bit compatability is perfectly fine (only thing I have found that didnt work was "The Longest Journey" (game) which worked when you copied DLLs from the cd.
XP 64bit is what you have to watch out for... god it was awful
frown.gif
Grab the wasapi plugin indeed.
Also, YGPM regarding foobar 0.9.5.2 (0.9.5 user here thinking of going up .x)

Thanks......PM answered...

Yes. Wasapi has been considered. On my XP I tried ASIO and did not really notice any change....I just unmap the k-mixer and everything works great. The sound I'm getting now from my PCs whether it's USB or SPDIF is really amazing. I use SS, hybrid and tube amps with them and I have to say I am really enjoying the sound with whatever I throw at them.....Will give WASAPI a shot maybe tonight, to see the changes....

Also, running my home network with Vista 32, 64 and XP and working like a charm, all getting along very nice, with no problems whatsoever.....

Thanks....

May 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 26
I'm also running on vista64. Best OS i've ever had. Way faster than XP.
No problems at all. But it seems that older soundcards are uncompatible with it.

May 15, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #19 of 26
Dragon NaturallySpeaking isn't supported under 64-bit but that's the only thing I can think of. Otherwise it works very well- Vista is an excellent OS despite what people say about it. I actually switched to Vista after using Debian/Ubuntu Linux exclusively for 2 years and it's more responsive due to SuperPrefetch.

Edit: I thought I'd mention that 4GB of RAM is a must with Vista IMO. Any less and it's slower than XP in my experience. I simply will NOT build a Vista machine with less than 4GB of RAM. It's dirt cheap so why not?

May 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 26
2GB with Vista64 is more than enough for good normal performance. Sits happily in less than 700MB on my PC (I think W7 64 sits in around 560MB). If you build a scrappy install then it may cause problems but chances are they wont be ram related.

However, I agree as 4GB ram sets are cheap and pretty much the norm retail wise, then no reason not to install 4GB and forget about it.

May 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using 64bit for over 18 months now and havent found one item of hardware or software that I currently use that wont work.

The only one bit of software that doesnt work is Master of Orion 2 and that was for Win95 so I'll let that one go.

You could try using a VMware image to run Windows 98 & then you could run MOO2. I've setup win98 to run that old Magic:The Gathering video/card game. It's sometimes fun to play when it's slow at work. There are some other virtual tools out there, but I've found using a VMware image is best for me.

May 16, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #23 of 26
I originally built my current machine with 2GB of RAM and directly compared a fresh XP and Vista x64 install. XP was quicker by a good margin, which prompted me send the RAM back and install a 4GB pair instead. The difference was large enough that, at least for me, I consider it to be a requirement. Sure, 2GB is fine for normal use but 4GB+ really lets you make use of the superprefetch feature.

May 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #25 of 26
Vista64 is rockin' both my desktop (E8400@3.6GHz, 8GB) and laptop (P8400, 4GB), and I have no complaints. I have had ZERO crashes on either system, since day 1. I don't use a whole ton of different programs, but those I need have all performed very well (Adobe CS3/4, Office 2003/2007, Foobar 0.9.6, Photomatix, PowerDVD, Nero, EAC, etc..)

May 23, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #26 of 26
I've been using 64bit for over 18 months now and haven't found any conflicts in sound system but the USB port is not as stable. if you want to use a external setup, you may want to check the compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back