Vista 64-bit...Feedback on compatibility
May 10, 2009 at 2:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

HeatFan12

Headphoneus Supremus
Would like some feedback on 64-bit Vista. My desktop is acting up and looking into buying a new one, however, nowadays it's all about 64-bit on most new models. I have heard various compatibility issues with programs, devices, components etc...

I have 32-bit Vista on laptop and all my programs and DACs/amp work great.

Programs mainly in use- EAC, Foobar 9.5.2, 9.5.6 (with different configs), dbPoweramp, Cdex, iTunes, Nero...etc...

Also, various DACs (usb and optical)....

I believe SP1 fixed some issues but not all....

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks
Jes

May 10, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 26
Well not strictly true as some older devices(and quit a few new ones) dont have 64bit drivers. E.g. several professional audio cards don't work in 64bit vista. All the programs you listed work like a charm for me.(except dbpoweramp and Itunes which i don't use, so dunno if it works)

May 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 26
I've been using 64bit for over 18 months now and havent found one item of hardware or software that I currently use that wont work.

The only one bit of software that doesnt work is Master of Orion 2 and that was for Win95 so I'll let that one go.

May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for the replies....Went out and bought one...So far so good with wireless keyboard, mouse and home network.....Programs will come later tonight....So far, I'm very satisfied with the performance....Will update this post once all my programs, equipment etc. are taken care of...

Thanks again...

Jes

May 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 26
Oh and dbPoweramp works fine.

May 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only one bit of software that doesnt work is Master of Orion 2 and that was for Win95 so I'll let that one go.

Chessmaster 5000 and King's Quest 7 are in that boat. Any 16 bit application will not work in a 64 bit version of Windows without running some kind of virtual OS. Only the very earliest Win95 stuff is likely to fall in that category. DosBox does wonders with a lot (but certainly not all) of DOS software if one still has any attachment to those.

I've had issues with some other software, but that is more the exception than the rule. Drivers were the main source of problems which is mostly straightened out now.

May 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 26
I've been using it for 2 years on 3 different home-built computers...it works great for me.

May 14, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 26
Yes, vista 64bit compatability is perfectly fine (only thing I have found that didnt work was "The Longest Journey" (game) which worked when you copied DLLs from the cd.
XP 64bit is what you have to watch out for... god it was awful
frown.gif
Grab the wasapi plugin indeed.
Also, YGPM regarding foobar 0.9.5.2 (0.9.5 user here thinking of going up .x)

May 14, 2009 at 10:45 AM Post #15 of 26
Windows 7 looks too KDE for me. Vista is a perfectly fine OS if you disable all the unnecessary stuff (and is probably close to what 7 will be anyway, knowing microsoft and their rehash skills).
edit: oh a word of warning, not all drivers from creative will work on vista. (should have mentioned this).
This more has to do with creative being bastards than anything, and mostly applies to the lower-end of their cards (various ports wont have function etc).
If this affects you, you can grab custom drivers from a guy named DanielK. Creative ended up shutting him down, even though he fixed a lot of their problems (i.e. ways to force you to upgrade).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back