Vision:M: What EQ settings do you use?
Mar 23, 2006 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Dirty^Dog

New Head-Fier
What are your EQ settings on your Creative Vision:M, and what kind of sound are you trying to acchieve with it?
eggosmile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 38
+10 -5 -5 -2 +1 with my UM2's and USA firmware - EQ to quiet for EU firmware.

It seems a bit odd and dark at first but once your ears get used to it, its more dynamic.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 38
+8 +4 0 +2 +4

Works great with Etymotic phones, provides present and accurate low bass with zero distortion. The trick is to use EQ only, no bass boost... the bass boost only mucks things up.

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 38
I use +7, +4, -2, +2, +4 with my Shure E2C's and it sounds fantastic.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 38
I played with different EQ setting and finally settled on flat EQ and plugging into the lineout.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 38
I have just bought a new Creative Zen Touch and using it with MS-1. Very Good sound, but it sounds best in Flat EQ settings. Just wondering whether its sound quality would be same as the ZVM (under Flat EQ setting) ??

Any ideas guys ?

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLamp
I have just bought a new Creative Zen Touch and using it with MS-1. Very Good sound, but it sounds best in Flat EQ settings. Just wondering whether its sound quality would be same as the ZVM (under Flat EQ setting) ??

Any ideas guys ?

I've owned them both and I think the overall sound quality is very similar between the two at at flat settings but that the EQ is much more effective in the ZVM. The Touch had several EQ bugs in its various firmware releases (EQ settings not being saved, affecting frequency ranges other than those indicated, etc.). Use only the very first (original) or the very latest firmware release for the Touch as the EQ works properly in these, but per many reports it seems to be broken in the others. The EQ on the ZVM seems to work quite well however.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
+8 +4 0 +2 +4

Works great with Etymotic phones, provides present and accurate low bass with zero distortion. The trick is to use EQ only, no bass boost... the bass boost only mucks things up.

i never use the bass boost, but i might try this with my ER6i's and see how they sound.

what exactly do each of the EQ bands represent??

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by EscaBoi
i never use the bass boost, but i might try this with my ER6i's and see how they sound.

what exactly do each of the EQ bands represent??

It represents the frequency in Hz and the volume in dB.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 38
None. The base sound quality of the ZVM is perfectly respectable and in the top echelon of the current players that I've used but the Creative EQ is perhaps one of the worse examples in terms of a negative impact on the sound among current DAPs. There's a noticeable increase in 'digital fuzz' when even minor EQ is used, more so than EQ's on some other DAPs.

I have read the unEQ'd ZV:M sound being described as 'boring'. Well, I like 'boring' I guess.

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
None. The base sound quality of the ZVM is perfectly respectable and in the top echelon of the current players that I've used but the Creative EQ is perhaps one of the worse examples in terms of a negative impact on the sound among current DAPs. There's a noticeable increase in 'digital fuzz' when even minor EQ is used, more so than EQ's on some other DAPs.

I have read the unEQ'd ZV:M sound being described as 'boring'. Well, I like 'boring' I guess.

Good to read - was slated over at DAPreveiw forums for saying that the ZVM had substandard sound with EQ on!

One thing I do find strange - I think SQ probs are to do with firmware - sometimes if I turn the unit on and it boots up from scratch - it sounds great! later same eq settings sound "fuzzy" - a reset sometimes cleans things up!

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
I've owned them both and I think the overall sound quality is very similar between the two at at flat settings but that the EQ is much more effective in the ZVM. The Touch had several EQ bugs in its various firmware releases (EQ settings not being saved, affecting frequency ranges other than those indicated, etc.). Use only the very first (original) or the very latest firmware release for the Touch as the EQ works properly in these, but per many reports it seems to be broken in the others. The EQ on the ZVM seems to work quite well however.

Can anyone guide me to where I can get the latest firmware to upgrade my Creative Zen Touch ?

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 38
It doesn't distort if you turn Bass Boost on with SVM and have the right Custom EQ setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back