Virtual Dynamics Judge power cable arrived
Mar 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 327

Patrick82

Banned
After 5 months my Judge power cable has arrived! They also built a custom crate for it. It weighs 18.9 kg!

l_8a5da61023c24697a4502926cbb733a4.jpg

l_e37ac31d2ced4e89933595ef50540ade.jpg

l_2342059393ab4caba50c82b2a2bc6c4b.jpg

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 327
That is one heavy crate!

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 327
reminds me of The Judge from Armageddon, if only there were 3 or 4 of us there, take your old power cable, hook it up, be running along "oh its no good" and have someone all enthusiastically "BREAK OUT THE JUDGE"

and then drop this big mother on the floor in a dramatic manner, listen to the thud of ~45 lbs (for a single cable, is this thing like a garden hose full of lead? I hate to think what shipping cost for that), and all of the dramatic scenery that goes with that

and yes its purely because the thing has an industrial crate and weighs like 45 lbs

I'd probably re-use that crate as a christmas tree stand, unless you don't do christmas, in which case, I'd probably re-use that crate in some other constructive way

got pics of the cable itself? or are you still fighting that box open?

::edit
pat, I can't find "The Judge" on the VD website? is it old or new to them?

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got pics of the cable itself? or are you still fighting that box open?

I'm still trying to open it, I was unsuccessful with my swiss army knife. It looks like the kind you need a crowbar for, I have seen in action movies.

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still trying to open it, I was unsuccessful with my swiss army knife. It looks like the kind you need a crowbar for, I have seen in action movies.

hope you didn't break the knife in the process (I've seen it done before, theres a reason I refuse non-locking blades at this juncture in life)

perhaps a claw hammer, shingle hatchet, or this monster:
Stanley's FatMax Fubar II: A More Compact Demolition Tool - Popular Mechanics

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's totaly stupid .. it's a cable ... no need fancy packaging for that. No matter if they drop it ... it's will not damage it.

I don't think thats the point behind the crate, I think the point behind the crate is due to the weight/size of the cable, preventing it from coming un-packaged in transit (if you've ever seen a freight truck/aircraft loaded, and if you guess that the crate is maybe 5kg (at most), that cable would tear through your average box like a hot knife through butter)

secondly, if its got the fancy brass connectors/rings on it (like Genesis does), you'd want to protect those from being scuffed up/dinged/etc in transit (due to the cable ripping out of a cardboard/plastic container due to being mishandled by your average freight carrier)

thirdly, I applaud the use of wood actually, because worst case scenario he can use it in his fire (actually, wait, if thats particle board, DO NOT burn it, if its actual planks you can go ahead and light her up, but if its pressed together with adheesives, the fumes are less than friendly), and thats still less wasteful than tons of plastic

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 327
When they charge what they do for this, they have to complete the illusion. I want to know if the shipping crate was rf shielded. If not, the trip may have already contaminated it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back