Violectric V90 opamp help...so I don't blow up my new toy
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
As I've listened to it quite a bit with the stock opamps, I would like to experiment with a few of my fav's. Thing is, I don't know if they'll be compatible or not. Ideally the 637, the 8620, and the 727, and maybe you all could recommend something new.

I am going to put my order in and I need to know how many and are adapters needed. For example, the 637's in my M-stage were 2 on an adapter board.

And if you feel strongly about a particular opamp, let's hear it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 2
Here is the reply from Mr. Reim re: swapping opamps. Anyone care to comment as to whether this is scientifically sound advice? Thanks.

To your question.

I know that there is always some rumour about op-amp rolling but concerning our gear I never heard of somebody having been successful.

In other amps you can find sometimes op-amps doing some hard work like making gain over 20 dB = factor 10.
Here, using some other (better) op-amps might the sense- or successful.

In contrary  to other designs there is only one amp inside V90 that could be changed and this is the one doing the pre-gain (NE5532). Here the maximum factor is 4 (12 dB position) or less. No hard work though.

Another disadvantage of "sophisticated" op-amps is that they need to be stabilized externally with gains lower than factor 5 because otherwise they might tend to oscillate.

If you like to try you may use every double op-amp with 8 legs which all have the same pin-out.

But honestly, I dont think that there will be even small advantages ....

Best Regards

Fried Reim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back