Violectric V222 and V202
Jan 29, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,351 of 1,914
I have contacted Violectric (Lake People) support and Fried Reim responded to my email very quickly, literally in a couple of minutes. Really positive impression!
I asked about V222 SE Vs. V202 and also on unbalanced Vs. balanced on V222 (what would be the advantages of balanced), and he responded like this:

''From the technical point it is no problem to balance or unbalance a signal.
The V222 unbalanced output is just the same as the unbalanced output from V202.
So, also the sound signature is identical.
None of our amps is internally balanced. If we would do so, it would not be possible to interchange between balanced and unbalanced signals.
V202 offers an unbalanced and balanced input.
The balanced signal is treated by a differencial amp to make it unbalanced.
Balanced [on V222] gives wider soundstage, better dynamics, more channel separation [compared to V222 unbalanced].''

Then I asked him about output powers, so he shed some light on output powers for V222 balanced and for V202 (which is unbalanced by default) with the note that the unbalanced output power from V222 is the same as the one from V202, so here is the comparison:

V222 balanced Vs unbalanced Power.jpg

Cheers!
These balanced measurements look strong! Anyone know if this would pair well with the Modhouse Tungsten SS 135ohm 76db sensitivity?

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #1,352 of 1,914
Hello,

I´m experiencing terrible buzz / hum from any Headphone connected to the V222. I know it is not from the inputs as if I disconnect all, nothing changes. It is for sure a ground loop from the power /ground. I have a Surge strip with all devices connected. If I connect the amp alone directly in to the wall socket (all other devices disconnected and off) it is even louder.

I have tried the amp alone in different wall sockets around the house and in some it is dead quiet and others it has the same hum/buzz. So I guess it is related to that wall socket and unfortunately I don´t have another one close to change it.

How can I solve this issue? Do I have to get some sort of power conditioner or noise isolator? If so any advises, especially available in Europe.

I´m just wondering why it is the only device that Ever presented this issue? My former Gilmore Lite MK2 was dead silent, my dac is, my Imac24 never showed any issue as well. In the V222 it is so obvious and ruining the all experience.

Something curious is that if I turn the volume knob to the minimum or maximum, it sort of almost totally disappears. It is worst between 09 and 12 o'clock.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #1,353 of 1,914
Hello,

I´m experiencing terrible buzz / hum from any Headphone connected to the V222. I know it is not from the inputs as if I disconnect all, nothing changes. It is for sure a ground loop from the power /ground. I have a Surge strip with all devices connected. If I connect the amp alone directly in to the wall socket (all other devices disconnected and off) it is even louder.

I have tried the amp alone in different wall sockets around the house and in some it is dead quiet and others it has the same hum/buzz. So I guess it is related to that wall socket and unfortunately I don´t have another one close to change it.

How can I solve this issue? Do I have to get some sort of power conditioner or noise isolator? If so any advises, especially available in Europe.

I´m just wondering why it is the only device that Ever presented this issue? My former Gilmore Lite MK2 was dead silent, my dac is, my Imac24 never showed any issue as well. In the V222 it is so obvious and ruining the all experience.

Something curious is that if I turn the volume knob to the minimum or maximum, it sort of almost totally disappears. It is worst between 09 and 12 o'clock.

Cheers.
Inside the V222 is a ground jumper (please check the manual). You can try setting it in the other position and see if the ground loop stops on that receptacle.

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #1,354 of 1,914
Inside the V222 is a ground jumper (please check the manual). You can try setting it in the other position and see if the ground loop stops on that receptacle.
Thank you. I have changed its position but it didn´t solve the issue.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,356 of 1,914
Just wanted to shout out to @ArthurPower. My V222 shipped and should be arriving any day now. Great service and excellent communication. Power Holdings should be the only vendor you ever deal with.

Also, today is the last day for the deal here in the US if you are still on the fence. Do it!
Same here! I just hope it has enough juice for my cans.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #1,357 of 1,914
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #1,359 of 1,914
It's really strange that it's only happening with that one receptacle. Maybe something is wired wrong?
You could try a "Hum Ex" or something similar to try to relieve the hum from that socket. I have seen on other threads that these devices can help in certain circumstances.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #1,360 of 1,914
When you take your hand off the volume knob does the buzzing decrease?

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #1,361 of 1,914
Thank you. I have changed its position but it didn´t solve the issue.

I had a hum as well. It turned out to be caused by another appliance I had running in my house. Somehow the electrical draw on the appliance caused a hum for me.

Maybe if you have the ability, bring the unit to a different location and test? Somewhere outside of your house.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #1,362 of 1,914
When you take your hand off the volume knob does the buzzing decrease?
No, no difference at all.
I had a hum as well. It turned out to be caused by another appliance I had running in my house. Somehow the electrical draw on the appliance caused a hum for me.

Maybe if you have the ability, bring the unit to a different location and test? Somewhere outside of your house.

Yes, I have tested with different wall sockets around the house, including 2 that are next to each other and with one it hums and the other it is dead silent (tried it several times with always the same result). So I guess it is directly related with the power quality coming from those different sockets, that for some reason, creates a ground loop with some and others not.
Unfortunetly, where I need it, I only have one wall socket and it is one of those that will make the V222 hum. So I just wanted to know if there is something that I can use in that socket in order to make the ground loop disappear. I have no idea what kind of devices are supposed to do the job, or which are the most effective.
As suggested, I should maybe try something like a ground isolator / filter like a "Hum Ex".

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,363 of 1,914
No, no difference at all.

Yes, I have tested with different wall sockets around the house, including 2 that are next to each other and with one it hums and the other it is dead silent (tried it several times with always the same result). So I guess it is directly related with the power quality coming from those different sockets, that for some reason, creates a ground loop with some and others not.
Unfortunetly, where I need it, I only have one wall socket and it is one of those that will make the V222 hum. So I just wanted to know if there is something that I can use in that socket in order to make the ground loop disappear. I have no idea what kind of devices are supposed to do the job, or which are the most effective.
As suggested, I should maybe try something like a ground isolator / filter like a "Hum Ex".
This could also be as simple as the ground wire inside the plug maybe corroded or missing etc. If you have access to an electrician friend, maybe a beverage would entice them to test the plug for you. It could be a simple fix, for a trained person that is.

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,364 of 1,914
This could also be as simple as the ground wire inside the plug maybe corroded or missing etc. If you have access to an electrician friend, maybe a beverage would entice them to test the plug for you. It could be a simple fix, for a trained person that is.

Thank you for the tip but unfortunately, I don´t know anyone with knowledge in this area.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #1,365 of 1,914

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back