Violectric V222 and V202
Jan 12, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #1,261 of 1,911
Curious if the increase in the resolution makes the highs more energized or push them towards brighter sound? one of the attractions for me on the V222/281 is to get smoother highs without losing the resolution as per say, I have migrated to R2R dac as a source which helped, but still need a bit less energy on the highs to my ears. If your rolling increases the resolution and still keeps smoother highs the amp might be a good option...
That is what I hear; no change in timber - just improved resolution across the board.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,262 of 1,911
To Guy Fawkes, as a reference point: my Audeze LCD-X, 2016 vintage, sounds tremendous with Violectric HPA V200 - a direct sonic ancestor to V202/V222.

With the V202/V222 they should be better suited as the new series has been tuned for lower impedance headphones. However, I believe that the old V200 also offers excellent results

As others have mentioned the RME ADI-2 presents a default neutral/sterile type of sound. I'm not an IEM user but the ADI-2 was designed to optimize output on it's IEM jack with a very quiet background. It is based on pro audio sound mixing equipment from RME and it has a very extensive suite of capabilities to adjust the sound if you dig into the all the menus. It does come across as a hassle and frustrating with a lot of twisting and mashing the small knobs to navigate the menus.

However, if you use a computer with the USB interface, RME recently released a fantastic on-screen software app that makes if so much easier to make adjustments on the SQ:
RME interfaces scrnsht2.jpg

I don't pair it with my V222 since the Vio already has a thickish warm SQ that I tend to prefer. I like the Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode) on the V222.

I already own the ADI-2 DAC, I already know and use the Remote control which I consider to be brilliant, as well as the DigiCheck which has always existed on the professional series. What I didn't understand is whether with a Vio I can get a more holographic and deep sound that I sometimes miss using the ADI amplifier.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #1,263 of 1,911
With the V202/V222 they should be better suited as the new series has been tuned for lower impedance headphones. However, I believe that the old V200 also offers excellent results.
All the V-'two hundred' series have a very low output impedance (good for low impedance h/p) and a high voltage swing capability (good for high impedance h/p).

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #1,264 of 1,911
Anyone know if there is an upper limit on the voltage you can input on the RCA, just just wondering if 3v is much?

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #1,265 of 1,911
Anyone know if there is an upper limit on the voltage you can input on the RCA, just just wondering if 3v is much?
From the manual.
Im curious about the XLR maximun input voltage.
Some DACs (Wandla, Wavelight) output 8v or even 10v on XLR.

1705253932118.png

Jan 14, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,266 of 1,911
From the manual.

1705253932118.png

For most DACs, the output voltage is specified in V (RMS). The maximum voltage that the amplifier can accept is 8.69 volts (V_RMS)
1705254740230.png

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #1,268 of 1,911
From the manual.

1705253932118.png
Seems I am unable to find any details output voltage of Lampizator big7.
After reading this, now I'm concerned if I should be pairing this with my v222.
Is it normal for the amp to be warm on the side and top? It's not hot cause I can hold it no problem.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,271 of 1,911
It seems like we still don't have a proper evaluation of new Violectric line (V202/222).

Violectric production process was switched from through-hole technology (V200/V280) to surface-mounted devices technology (V202/V222). That is from THT to SMD. According to some online info, SMD is not very popular for audio devices but then others refute such claims by pointing out that implementation, appropriate component selection and design are crucial rather than SMD itself. But one is for sure: SMD is cheaper. So, probably the true idea behind new Violectric line is just cost reduction for the company, while making basically the same amps but using different technology in production process.

So, somehow still unanswered question remains: were they successful to maintain the same sound quality of their old line, while reducing costs through SMD? Again, it is not very easy task, since SMD brings some difficulties/trickiness. I hoped it will be answered through some reviews, by directly comparing old Vs. new, because that is (only) meaningful evaluation of new Violectric amps (old line was extensively tested and proved over the years). But some more extensive comparisons in that direction did not happen so far, at least I am aware of only one - thanks a lot @Alfredo3001. From that one it is hard to get full picture.

Lake People is reputable company. They certainly approached to this professionally, no one doubts it. But it could also create a biased thinking that new line is (or must be) also good, by default (''It has to be, right? It is made by Lake People!'').

So, please if someone could shed some more light on new Vs. old Violectric line of amps! Did someone A/B those?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,273 of 1,911
It seems like we still don't have a proper evaluation of new Violectric line (V202/222).

Violectric production process was switched from through-hole technology (V200/V280) to surface-mounted devices technology (V202/V222). That is from THT to SMD. According to some online info, SMD is not very popular for audio devices but then others refute such claims by pointing out that implementation, appropriate component selection and design are crucial rather than SMD itself. But one is for sure: SMD is cheaper. So, probably the true idea behind new Violectric line is just cost reduction for the company, while making basically the same amps but using different technology in production process.

So, somehow still unanswered question remains: were they successful to maintain the same sound quality of their old line, while reducing costs through SMD? Again, it is not very easy task, since SMD brings some difficulties/trickiness. I hoped it will be answered through some reviews, by directly comparing old Vs. new, because that is (only) meaningful evaluation of new Violectric amps (old line was extensively tested and proved over the years). But some more extensive comparisons in that direction did not happen so far, at least I am aware of only one - thanks a lot @Alfredo3001. From that one it is hard to get full picture.

Lake People is reputable company. They certainly approached to this professionally, no one doubts it. But it could also create a biased thinking that new line is (or must be) also good, by default (''It has to be, right? It is made by Lake People!'').

So, please if someone could shed some more light on new Vs. old Violectric line of amps! Did someone A/B those?

Thanks!

Interesting, I didn't know they moved to surface mounted devices, shame that really but obviously saved them a lot of money, even my Deckard made in China is through-hole mounted, that is one of the improvements Audeze made from the original oem design.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #1,274 of 1,911
Hi, I own the G111 MK2 and I wonder if V202 hits harder in the bass, anyone by chance having both amps and can help? Thanks!
The v202 will definitely hit harder on the bass.
I had the g111 mk1, but not at the same time as the v222. But, the v202/v222 are known for the bass slam. The g111 mk1 was punchy but more on the neutral side.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #1,275 of 1,911
WaveTheory briefly compared the V222 with V281.

@borkenarrou thanks for mentioning that review. Basically he mentioned lower noise floor on V222 and better matching with some headphones.

@lowrider007 how would you rate V202 + K712 synergy? Is K712 still shouty with V202?
On the other hand how HD6XX sounds with V202? Is it too laid back (boring) with V202?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back