Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #872 of 1,061
Anyone had the chance to compare pro ican signature with the HPA V550?

Oct 11, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #873 of 1,061
V550 and V550 Pro pricing reversed in Amazon.com listing by Power Holdings Inc.

Screenshot from 2023-10-12 02-57-54.png

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #875 of 1,061
I was looking for a new amp to drive my newest acquisition, the Elysian Annihilators 2023, and the Violectric V550 Pro is the perfect match! More lively and organic than the Benchmark HPA4, better soundstage, more defined notes. Compared to the Audio-gd master 9 the Violectric sounds a lot wider and cleaner, but matches the master 9 in its dynamic and engaging presentation. The impeccable build quality, 4.4 mm connection and just perfect volume knob make it a great overall package. Only the dip switches might be a hassle to change once I got the DCA Expanse and need to switch often. The only thing I am left wondering about is how much of a step up a Niimbus would be

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #876 of 1,061
I was looking for a new amp to drive my newest acquisition, the Elysian Annihilators 2023, and the Violectric V550 Pro is the perfect match! More lively and organic than the Benchmark HPA4, better soundstage, more defined notes. Compared to the Audio-gd master 9 the Violectric sounds a lot wider and cleaner, but matches the master 9 in its dynamic and engaging presentation. The impeccable build quality, 4.4 mm connection and just perfect volume knob make it a great overall package. Only the dip switches might be a hassle to change once I got the DCA Expanse and need to switch often. The only thing I am left wondering about is how much of a step up a Niimbus would be
Vio 550 is an excellent amplifier. Works well with all the headphones I've thrown at it.
BUT! Niimbus with DCA headphones works wonders. I have yet to come across a better amplifier for DCA.
Phenomenal texture, speed, punch, magical mids, a scattering of diamonds at high frequencies.

It is very important to use a R2R DAC with Niimbus. In this case there will be the best result. With a deltasigma DAC, the sound can be light and dry.

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #877 of 1,061
Vio 550 is an excellent amplifier. Works well with all the headphones I've thrown at it.
BUT! Niimbus with DCA headphones works wonders. I have yet to come across a better amplifier for DCA.
Phenomenal texture, speed, punch, magical mids, a scattering of diamonds at high frequencies.

It is very important to use a R2R DAC with Niimbus. In this case there will be the best result. With a deltasigma DAC, the sound can be light and dry.
I recently got my final system together :) musician audio aquarius + violectric dha v590 mk2 (xlr connection) + Kennerton rognir planar

Oct 25, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #878 of 1,061

I am definitely considering to get a R2R dac for the V550. The Gustard R26 looks like a great option for its price. Which dacs did you try before getting the Holo May? I am very interested in comparisons to other dacs and how you liked them with the Violectric/Niimbus.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #879 of 1,061
I am definitely considering to get a R2R dac for the V550. The Gustard R26 looks like a great option for its price. Which dacs did you try before getting the Holo May? I am very interested in comparisons to other dacs and how you liked them with the Violectric/Niimbus.
The combination of Vio amplifiers with R2R DACs is phenomenal. You get a more harmonious, realistic sound with more meat on the bones.
Gustard R26, Pontus 2, Terminator, Holo DACs are excellent companions to Vio amplifiers.
I'm sure Aquarius also sounds impressive, but unfortunately I haven't heard it.

Gustard R26, Pontus 2 - is the minimum level of DAC that should be added to the fleet to the VIO. More affordable R2R DACs may not provide the desired effect.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #880 of 1,061
Hello guys, I purchased my v550 from Thomann a couple of days ago (I’m in New York), and one day later I was notified that the order “has been dispatched” and “completed”. But I have not yet got any tracking number (UPS in this case) from Thomann. I’ve been contacting Thomann but since it’s holiday they haven’t replied. Should I be concerned? Or I should be getting my tracking number after it’s reached the US…

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #881 of 1,061
Hello guys, I purchased my v550 from Thomann a couple of days ago (I’m in New York), and one day later I was notified that the order “has been dispatched” and “completed”. But I have not yet got any tracking number (UPS in this case) from Thomann. I’ve been contacting Thomann but since it’s holiday they haven’t replied. Should I be concerned? Or I should be getting my tracking number after it’s reached the US…
This is how it was for me, after I placed the online order, they modified the shipping cost, I guess the shipping cost in the thomann webpage is just an estimate, after I paid the difference I got an email which has "Shipping confirmation and invoice" in the subject which had the tracking no.

A thing to note, if value is > $2000, you may have to pay US import customs tax (if you are a US citizen).

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #882 of 1,061
This is how it was for me, after I placed the online order, they modified the shipping cost, I guess the shipping cost in the thomann webpage is just an estimate, after I paid the difference I got an email which has "Shipping confirmation and invoice" in the subject which had the tracking no.

A thing to note, if value is > $2000, you may have to pay US import customs tax (if you are a US citizen).
Thanks man. That’s good to know. Somehow I already got my invoice, but no tracking no. I confirmed my order on Friday, so maybe gotta wait until Monday for them to update. I saw some others in this thread who didn’t pay income taxes for their purchases. Dunno why but fingers crossed. Will post my experience once it arrives.

Nov 2, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #883 of 1,061
Thanks man. That’s good to know. Somehow I already got my invoice, but no tracking no. I confirmed my order on Friday, so maybe gotta wait until Monday for them to update. I saw some others in this thread who didn’t pay income taxes for their purchases. Dunno why but fingers crossed. Will post my experience once it arrives.
Turns out Thomann only shipped it the following Monday, and on Wednesday I’m already enjoying the v550. Kudos to UPS and customs.
I paired it with HD800 and Gustard R26 and mainly for classical music. Compared to my previous Monolith LGX, my v550 before any burin-in already got better, deeper soundstage, better control, stronger bass (compensates HD800 and R26’s relatively reserved/lean bass), and it also smooths out the sharp highs HD800 was known for. Strings are highly transparent and organic. I wish it could keep a bit more of the brass’s aggressiveness I heard from my original setup, but it has surely made my listening less fatiguing.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #884 of 1,061
Turns out Thomann only shipped it the following Monday, and on Wednesday I’m already enjoying the v550. Kudos to UPS and customs.
I paired it with HD800 and Gustard R26 and mainly for classical music. Compared to my previous Monolith LGX, my v550 before any burin-in already got better, deeper soundstage, better control, stronger bass (compensates HD800 and R26’s relatively reserved/lean bass), and it also smooths out the sharp highs HD800 was known for. Strings are highly transparent and organic. I wish it could keep a bit more of the brass’s aggressiveness I heard from my original setup, but it has surely made my listening less fatiguing.

It felt distant sounding and a bit too polite at first but the V550 somehow opened up eventually and it sounded "just right" with my Caldera.

You must try the Caldera with it if you ever have a chance, it is a great pairing as well as the HD650 and HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back