Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #888 of 1,075
I'll tell you a little secret. Vio cannot be replaced with anything and it is impossible to hear something more in music. This is quite an end-game device.

Unfortunately, not everyone manages to solve the rebus “Vio”. The whole trick of this device is in the dip switches and the ability to customize it for any headphones and DAC. I have never seen a more flexible device.

You need to set the gain in such a way that the comfortable volume level is close to the extreme maximum position.
Today I'm listening to Niimbus, but this trick works on him too.

1699029625164.png

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #890 of 1,075
Interesting , so it's better if you have the volume near max. i've never had mine past 12, usually between 10 and 11
Because in this position the volume control almost does not interfere with the flow of the signal.
The more the volume control is activated (it takes minimum values), the smaller the dynamic range and the more the resistive load attenuates the signal (deteriorating it).
What is your gain value?

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #892 of 1,075
Because in this position the volume control almost does not interfere with the flow of the signal.
The more the volume control is activated (it takes minimum values), the smaller the dynamic range and the more the resistive load attenuates the signal (deteriorating it).
What is your gain value?
I have it at +6. Not tried any other to much hassle getting to the back of my unit.

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #893 of 1,075
Today it's Vio's turn. When listening to Fostex 610, I set the gain to “-18”. Sounds great. Black background, microdynamics, after-sound, sound stage. Sounds better than Holo Bliss when using Fostex 610. Vio gives more emotion than Bliss.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The more I listen to Holo Bliss, Vio, Niimbus in turn, the more I realize that I can easily live without Bliss. But I can’t live without Vio, Niimbus.

1699101377581.png

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #894 of 1,075
Today it's Vio's turn. When listening to Fostex 610, I set the gain to “-18”. Sounds great. Black background, microdynamics, after-sound, sound stage. Sounds better than Holo Bliss when using Fostex 610. Vio gives more emotion than Bliss.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The more I listen to Holo Bliss, Vio, Niimbus in turn, the more I realize that I can easily live without Bliss. But I can’t live without Vio, Niimbus.

1699101377581.png
Going to have to give it a try this weekend I think.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #895 of 1,075
Yes! Damn it! Vio works wonders. Sings incredibly emotionally. Vio will give odds even to tube amplifiers. It is impossible to part with this amplifier voluntarily.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #896 of 1,075
Is there a post where you compared all 3 amps with the May as your source?

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #897 of 1,075
Is there a post where you compared all 3 amps with the May as your source?
Not yet. Bliss is still warming up (I think). In a couple of weeks I will write the results of the comparison. But what I'm hearing right now is not in favor of Bliss.
If you have been listening to Vio 550 for a long time, then switching to Bliss will not make you cry when listening to compositions that you know well. In terms of emotional involvement, he is one step behind. To get similar output from the Bliss, you need to significantly increase the volume, close to the limit for your hearing. Vio is emotional at any volume level.
If you've been listening to Niimbus for a long time and have embraced its super-texturing of sound, then when you switch to Bliss you will have only one question:
travolta-where.gif

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #898 of 1,075
Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #899 of 1,075
I am the proud new owner of this V550 :) looking forward to joining the club with all of you and I’m excited to share my first impressions 👍🏼
headphones: zmf atrium/he1000se/hd650
Iems: annihilator/aura/xe6/ie900/supernova
Will be connecting my Sony wm1Zm2 dap as a source/dac
Good choice! You got an amp with not only technicalities but also a fun factor, and it should work well with most of the headphones. If it wasn't so big but comparable e.g. to my Chord TT2, I could stop on it on focus ony on headphones :wink:

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #900 of 1,075
I am the proud new owner of this V550 :) looking forward to joining the club with all of you and I’m excited to share my first impressions 👍🏼
headphones: zmf atrium/he1000se/hd650
Iems: annihilator/aura/xe6/ie900/supernova
Will be connecting my Sony wm1Zm2 dap as a source/dac
Congratulations :) . Nice collection of headphones they will sing on this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back