Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #767 of 1,057
Wouldn't say "end game" but close enough for me! Added Gustard A26 to the chain, had some initial doubts at first but after getting it I'm now very happy with this setup. With ZMF VO, holographic stage and depth of music has really improved at least in my setup. Also noticeable improvements in bass, clarity and detail. I believe others in different forums have also said its a strong trait of the A26 and I agree. One of the obvious questions some might have does it sound harsh top end or is it thin sounding, actually quite the opposite in my setup. Vocals and instrument separation have this unique clarity where its so easy to pinpoint everything and the best part is it always sounds organic. This DAC does tries to mimic the sound of the R2R Dac. Personally I feel that A26 does pair well with V550. Last but not the least, I do think that quality cables does bring some added improvements to the whole setup.

GusVio.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #768 of 1,057
Wouldn't say "end game" but close enough for me! Added Gustard A26 to the chain, had some initial doubts at first but after getting it I'm now very happy with this setup. With ZMF VO, holographic stage and depth of music has really improved at least in my setup. Also noticeable improvements in bass, clarity and detail. I believe others in different forums have also said its a strong trait of the A26 and I agree. One of the obvious questions some might have does it sound harsh top end or is it thin sounding, actually quite the opposite in my setup. Vocals and instrument separation have this unique clarity where its easy to pinpoint everything easily and the best part is it always sounds organic. This DAC does tries to mimic the sound of the R2R Dac. Personally I feel that A26 does pair well with V550. Last but not the least, I do think that quality cables does bring some added improvements to the whole setup.

GusVio.jpg
Curious, what was the DAC you were using with the V550 before A26.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #771 of 1,057
Not sure about the A26 as I don't know about it, but V550 definitely goes well, slightly imbues a hint of sweetness into the HEKSE's character and has enough current to pound.

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #773 of 1,057
My V550 goes great with my X26 Pro (which is boosted by the U18 and Ock-2) all with purple fuses too :)

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #775 of 1,057
Will Violectric V550 go well with Hifiman HE1000SE? Gustard A26 > Violectric V550 >Hifiman HE1000SE to be exact.
I would really appreciate it if someone can share there thoughts with this chain :relaxed:
I have had this exact combo but not the HE1000, although I have heard the HE1000SE in the past. I would say this will be a very good combination but depending on your sensitivity may lean slightly too bright/harsh depending on source material. Otherwise, it's a mostly 'neutral' and very resolute-sounding combination and should be very satisfying for the money.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #776 of 1,057
My V550 goes great with my X26 Pro (which is boosted by the U18 and Ock-2) all with purple fuses too :)
Thanks for sharing! I'll check the X26 as well.

I have had this exact combo but not the HE1000, although I have heard the HE1000SE in the past. I would say this will be a very good combination but depending on your sensitivity may lean slightly too bright/harsh depending on source material. Otherwise, it's a mostly 'neutral' and very resolute-sounding combination and should be very satisfying for the money.
Yeah, this is what I've been worried about. You think v550 and HE1000SE is better paired with an R2R DAC like the R26? I also think of getting full copper aftermarket cables if in case it'll be a bit bright for me.

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #777 of 1,057
Thanks for sharing! I'll check the X26 as well.

Yeah, this is what I've been worried about. You think v550 and HE1000SE is better paired with an R2R DAC like the R26? I also think of getting full copper aftermarket cables if in case it'll be a bit bright for me.
If you are sensitive to treble and listen to softer more acoustic music I'd probably lean more towards R26 yes. I went with A26 because I listen to mostly modern rock and metal. Either will match well with the V550 imo.

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #778 of 1,057
If you are sensitive to treble and listen to softer more acoustic music I'd probably lean more towards R26 yes. I went with A26 because I listen to mostly modern rock and metal. Either will match well with the V550 imo.
For whatever reason, the X26 Pro coupled with the U18 absolutely cuts out any harshness and makes the tuning more "3D" sounding. I'm just so dumbfounded that something like that made such a huge upgrade.
If you find the X26 Pro harsh, the U18 is a straight upgrade and a great fix for the "harshness" of the Vivid filter.

The Ock-2 improves on the separation and imaging even further to my ears.

Purple Fuses change the presentation and makes it more realistic sounding, boosts the dynamics and realism of instruments in music.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #780 of 1,057
I decided to exchange my V550 due to the volume knob very hard to turn. It seemed to get even worst, not smooth at all compared to the balance knob. I bought mine through Thomann and I was blown away by their customer service. I live in the US and they took care of everything and sent me back a bring new unit. I asked them if they could inspect for quality before shipping which they did. New unit is made it from Germany to Texas in 4 days, wow!

Another VERY important update for anyone that bought this unit from another country that uses 115-120v, be sure to adjust the internal power switch to 115v. I forgot to do that with the new unit for the first day and it sounded a lot worse then I remembered. Then it hit me right before I was getting ready for bed and I jumped up and changed the setting immediate (page 27 owners manual) and listened to a few songs and was BLOWN away. OMG couldn't believe how much a difference that made! So please everyone check the back of the amp to make sure it's set to the power requirements for your country.

Cheers!

I'm interested in getting V550 from Thomann. However, the voltage is 110V from where I live. Does the quote above mean I only have to switch the internal power switch to 115V to use V550 directly?. Or, do you still need to get a 110V-to-220V Transformer?

Btw, I'm relatively new to this world. Bought my first pair of headphones Hifiman Arya Stealth last Christmas. Ever since, I've been on a quest to find a setup that I can be content with. Somehow, I'm still without much success.

Currently, I have the following setup:

PC USB -> Denafrips Ares 12th -> Singxer SA-1 -> Hifiman Arya Stealth
PC USB -> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 -> Schiit Lyr+ / tube mode - low gain / Sylvania 6SN7GTA -> ZMF Atrium Closed LTD

Both headphones sound OK, but I'm not loving it. I feel both headphones are capable for much more. So, on my last attempt to find my happy place, I'd like to get a V550 to replace Singxer SA-1. I also can't justify to keep both Ares and Bifrost as they don't differ that much (at least to me) to keep them both. I think I'll keep Bifrost and sell Ares. Lastly, should I get a Cayin HA-3A to replace Lyr+?

PC USB -> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (XLR) -> V550 -> Hifiman Arya Stealth
PC USB -> Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (RCA) -> Cayin HA-3A -> ZMF Atrium Closed LTD

Does this setup make sense?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back