Violectric HPA V550 - Blue's Brother and the successor to the V281
Feb 11, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #316 of 1,057
Can anyone tell me if the v550 pairs well with the Verite Closed?
No idea about Verite closed but i can say Audeze LCD-XC closed are a great match, plenty of current and a ton of headroom to make them sing. Lots of impact and clear detailed bass, solid mid range and nicely rounded off highs, not too sharp, edgy or crispy.

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #317 of 1,057
No idea about Verite closed but i can say Audeze LCD-XC closed are a great match, plenty of current and a ton of headroom to make them sing. Lots of impact and clear detailed bass, solid mid range and nicely rounded off highs, not too sharp, edgy or crispy.
I have the lcd x too but what I really need to know is about the VC. What I am looking for is an amp with higher output impedance to go with the VC. I don't understand what that means for the v550 pro. It says< 0,2 Ohms and damping factor> 250. I don't understand this.

Feb 11, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #321 of 1,057
Is the V550 much of a step from the V340?
Hello,

I have both the V550 and a DHA V380, which has the same amplifier section as the V340. Nominally, the V340 is a little weaker than the V550 in terms of power, but in terms of sound, the two are almost identical.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #322 of 1,057
Hello,

I have both the V550 and a DHA V380, which has the same amplifier section as the V340. Nominally, the V340 is a little weaker than the V550 in terms of power, but in terms of sound, the two are almost identical.
Is the v550 a good match with a Verite Closeda and Lcd x? They are completely different as one is dynamic driver and 300 ohms and the other is planar and 20 ohms. I am have a Burson Soloist 3xp but next week I am upgrading between the Soloist GT and the V550 pro. I can't find many reviews or even many opinions from owners regarding the v550 pro.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #323 of 1,057
Is the v550 a good match with a Verite Closeda and Lcd x? They are completely different as one is dynamic driver and 300 ohms and the other is planar and 20 ohms. I am have a Burson Soloist 3xp but next week I am upgrading between the Soloist GT and the V550 pro. I can't find many reviews or even many opinions from owners regarding the v550 pro.
The LCD-X has great symmetry with Violectric amps across the board in my experience. Oftentimes they demo their amps with that headphone, so it’s a pairing they have confidence in. You will get the max out of those headphones with the V550.
I have a Verité C and Niimbus amp and it’s a very good combination but the synergy is not as great as with the planars. I think ZMF cans really need a tube amp to hit their full potential but that can be a big time and money investment! The totl Violectric amps are about as versatile as it gets in terms of solid state amps though; the V550 will play very nicely with anything you throw at it.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #324 of 1,057
The LCD-X has great symmetry with Violectric amps across the board in my experience. Oftentimes they demo their amps with that headphone, so it’s a pairing they have confidence in. You will get the max out of those headphones with the V550.
I have a Verité C and Niimbus amp and it’s a very good combination but the synergy is not as great as with the planars. I think ZMF cans really need a tube amp to hit their full potential but that can be a big time and money investment! The totl Violectric amps are about as versatile as it gets in terms of solid state amps though; the V550 will play very nicely with anything you throw at it.
I have plans to buy tubes next actually. I am trading a few things in for and Amp at headphones. Com because they have a 1 year return policy. I wish I had a comparison between the Soloist GT and the V550. Do you know what the output impedance of the v550 by chance?

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #325 of 1,057
I have plans to buy tubes next actually. I am trading a few things in for and Amp at headphones. Com because they have a 1 year return policy. I wish I had a comparison between the Soloist GT and the V550. Do you know what the output impedance of the v550 by chance?
If you look at the site below it says 0.2 ohms for the headphone output. I think most quality solid state amps from the last 5-10 years have no more than 1 ohm or so for output impedance.
https://power-holdings-inc.com/Violectric-V550-Headphone-Amp-p262209263

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #326 of 1,057
From the specifications on the website: < 0.2 ohms.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #327 of 1,057
If you look at the site below it says 0.2 ohms for the headphone output. I think most quality solid state amps from the last 5-10 years have no more than 1 ohm or so for output impedance.
https://power-holdings-inc.com/Violectric-V550-Headphone-Amp-p262209263
I noticed it had 0,2. I didn't know if the comma was a mistake or what? I agree most are under 1 ohm. Zach suggest having an Amp with higher output impedance because the lower it is the more the sound will be dampened. My Soloist 3xp is 0.5ohms. I'm just curious what an Amp with higher output impedance would sound like. I have found out that it is hard to find a good amp that I want that is like that.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #328 of 1,057
I noticed it had 0,2. I didn't know if the comma was a mistake or what? I agree most are under 1 ohm. Zach suggest having an Amp with higher output impedance because the lower it is the more the sound will be dampened. My Soloist 3xp is 0.5ohms. I'm just curious what an Amp with higher output impedance would sound like. I have found out that it is hard to find a good amp that I want that is like that.
The comma is a European thing, take it as a decimal point. Off the top of my head, I know Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser have some older solid state amps w/a higher output impedance to match their 300-600 ohm headphones, but if you have more ZMF-focused questions you should post them over on those message boards. They’re quite active and you’ll get a lot of replies.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #329 of 1,057
The comma is a European thing, take it as a decimal point. Off the top of my head, I know Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser have some older solid state amps w/a higher output impedance to match their 300-600 ohm headphones, but if you have more ZMF-focused questions you should post them over on those message boards. They’re quite active and you’ll get a lot of replies.
Honestly I don't think I'm really that worried about it. When I heard Zach say that about output impedance it worried me but I love the way my VC sounds on the Soloist. I'm not going to worry about output impedance and miss out on other qualities an Amp can have.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #330 of 1,057
The only solid-state headphone amplifier, that I can think of, with a ‘high’ output impedance is the Beyerdynamic A2. It has a switch underneath which has 0-ohm and 100-ohm settings. (Incidentally, Zach at ZMF Headphones is said to favour the Beyer h/p/a as a solid-state alternative because of the impedance.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back