Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Nov 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,606 of 5,977
I was hoping you guys would say V200 is good enough. I can pobably get the base 281. Hope I will not regret not getting the 128 step attenuator.

Well one of the really nice thing about Violectric is that the upgrades can be added later.  I don't have the step attenuator but I do have the remote.  The overall consensus is that the 128 step attenuator is a very slight increase in performance.  

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #1,607 of 5,977
Lots of us have really enjoyed the LCD-2 on the V200 before upgrading, so I'm pretty sure you will like it. We're just saying now that the balanced connection sounds even better

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #1,609 of 5,977
I’ve been enjoying keeping up with this thread, but I haven’t posted anything in a while. I figured it was time. I’m about four months into owning my Vio, using it every day, and loving it only more and more. 

A month ago I set up my V281/V800 stack as my stereo preamp. It’s working great! When I bought the gear I felt a little silly paying for connectivity and options I was pretty sure I’d never use. Now I’m using almost every input and output for something!

I started using my old laptop as a makeshift music server. It sits near my stack so if I’m ever without my main laptop, I’ve still got music. That runs into the optical port on my V800. I plug my main laptop into the USB. FWIW I prefer the USB sound over optical. I play the same file on both computers. Through USB I hear more distinct notes in the bass, and a little more crispness in the treble. It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison because the old laptop is on optical and the new one is USB. I really should do the proper experiment and run the newer laptop on optical and the old one on USB. Too lazy for now. Someday. 

I found an old Technics turntable on Craigslist, and an Emotiva phono preamp. It’s been a joy to revitalize my vinyl collection. Plus, my friends all say, “here, you want these?” so I’ve amassed a pretty sizable vinyl collection in just a few months. I run the phono preamp into the RCA jacks on the V281.

The best part is I send the balanced out from the V281 to my Parasound A23 stereo amplifier. It’s driving a pair of Polk LSI9 speakers. (Both also Craigslist finds - the V281 is the most expensive component in my whole setup.) They sound terrific. 

So putting it all together, on the input side, I’ve got my main laptop with my full music library (FLAC and iTunes) running Audirvana plugged into USB. I’ve got my old laptop / new music server plugged into optical, so there’s always music on hand. I’ve got my turntable via RCA. On output side, I’ve got balanced headphones (HD800 and LCD-3), a couple other unbalanced headphones that just aren’t seeing much use these days, and a pretty decent starter-kit speaker setup. A press of a button or two, and I can switch seamlessly between these sources and outputs. I can send music to headphones, to the stereo, or (kinda fun) to both.

Yeah, my Vio stack is utilized to the max, and in retrospect I’m glad I got a system with so much flexibility. Even the remote, which I thought I’d never use, has become indispensable when I’m listening through speakers. Now if only I could come up with a way to use the digital out on the V800...

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,614 of 5,977
I think I should have phrased my question better as I'm not having any issues I just wasn't sure if I could use the XLR inputs that way. I just want to see if the amp sounds any better from the XLR inputs as I was a bit underwhelmed at the sound quality from the rca inputs.
A change of dac to a single ended one made me ask the question originally.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,615 of 5,977
I think I should have phrased my question better as I'm not having any issues I just wasn't sure if I could use the XLR inputs that way. I just want to see if the amp sounds any better from the XLR inputs as I was a bit underwhelmed at the sound quality from the rca inputs.

The V281 preamp is internally single ended, only the power stages of the amp are balanced.
Converting signal from SE to balanced seems pointless as the first thing the V281 will do is convert back to SE.
What DAC are we talking about?

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,616 of 5,977

Actually the XLR and RCA inputs do sound slightly different on the Violectric V281. The difference is very small but, I find the XLR is a bit smoother and less fatiguing with headphones that tend to be shouty.

Even though the pre-amp signal internally is unbalanced (as most equipment is) the path it travels is very short. However, there is always less signal loss connecting gear together with a balanced connection externally. This may be considered by some as insignificant if the cables are under 20 feet long but, a balanced cable is also less susceptible to RF interference.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,617 of 5,977
The V281 preamp is internally single ended, only the power stages of the amp are balanced.
Converting signal from SE to balanced seems pointless as the first thing the V281 will do is convert back to SE.
What DAC are we talking about?

I have replaced my v850 dac with a chord 2cute.
Actually the XLR and RCA inputs do sound slightly different on the Violectric V281. The difference is very small but, I find the XLR is a bit smoother and less fatiguing with headphones that tend to be shouty.

Even though the pre-amp signal internally is unbalanced (as most equipment is) the path it travels is very short. However, there is always less signal loss connecting gear together with a balanced connection externally. This may be considered by some as insignificant if the cables are under 20 feet long but, a balanced cable is also less susceptible to RF interference.

I thought I had read somewhere that there was a slight difference in sound quality between the two inputs,that's why I wanted to give it a try just couldn't remember whether it was in a review or someone's post on this thread.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,619 of 5,977
What is the preferred way to connect the V281 with the v850? And why? I have RCA cables and COAX. Also, what are the best settings for the combo? Volume, resampling? Just bought this great set but need to figure out what is the best setup.

Many thanks!

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #1,620 of 5,977
  What is the preferred way to connect the V281 with the v850? And why? I have RCA cables and COAX. Also, what are the best settings for the combo? Volume, resampling? Just bought this great set but need to figure out what is the best setup.

Many thanks!

I'd say connect them by XLR (XLR out on the V850 to XLR in on the V281), use the max position of the volume knob on the V850. Personally I don't like resampling, so I'd keep that off. Get some good XLR cables from a local music equipment store, shouldn't cost too much.
Of course connecting by RCA will be fine at home as well (I guess you won't put them too far apart).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back