Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jul 31, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #241 of 5,979
  So now that it's been a couple weeks since the new amps have been first heard, how are the ongoing impressions? Anybody been able to compare SE sound vs XLR output yet? and the one comparison I think the V281 will be most commonly put up against is the Auralic taurus mkII, curious how it stacks up. If the ragnarok was out then that would be the third comparison to make, and in general those three amps will probably be the solid state go to choices at that price, so knowing the differences between them is going to be crucial. They seem to each offer something unique that the other doesn't offer, so should be fun haha. I'm personally still pretty set on getting the V281 though, but that taurus mkII seems to keep popping up so I dont know yet for sure.

Ive been very busy these days so I can varely give a few minutes a day to the amp, and I will have the balanced cable by next week or the following one, so I cant compare yet.

ATM im listening it with the Senn HD800 via SE mode, and the sound is astonishing. The bass is very powerfull, controlled and deep, with good texture, the best Ive ever heard out of a HD800 and this amp gives even more precision in the treble and mids part, with body and the soundstage improved too. As I said before, this amp may not be the one with the biggest soundstage, but its character about it is to control and position all the things in the recording with perfect precision.

Ive always blamed the HD800 to sound a little thin with all the amps ive tried, no matter if they were tube or SS amps, for me the sound was always a bit thin, not as thin as K701s or DT880 but just thin. I liked a warmer / fuller sound like the LCD-2 or LCD-3, for me, the sound of the LCD-2 is still my favourite by far, but I can asure that this V281 gives a full bodier sound to the HD800 without losing a single tad of precision, transparency and detail.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #242 of 5,979
I was going back and forth between Taurus mkII and V281 yesterday. Very similar in general capabilities and overall quality. I'm just now starting to get a handle on the unique flavors they have in comparison to one another. But I'm not confident enough yet to discuss it publicly. 

Same deal with balanced versus single ended output on V281. Which I suppose we could call V281 versus V220, if you want to think of it that way. They are different, but describing it confidently will take some more experience on my end. Sorry.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #243 of 5,979
  I was going back and forth between Taurus mkII and V281 yesterday. Very similar in general capabilities and overall quality. I'm just now starting to get a handle on the unique flavors they have in comparison to one another. But I'm not confident enough yet to discuss it publicly. 

Same deal with balanced versus single ended output on V281. Which I suppose we could call V281 versus V220, if you want to think of it that way. They are different, but describing it confidently will take some more experience on my end. Sorry.

Take your time. :) Thanks for the feedback its been very helpful! These new Violectrics sound like winners. Looking forward to more comments & impressions.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #244 of 5,979
Yea, all in due time I'm sure :)

it seems though that they definitely hold their own with the competition, which is very good. Looking forward to more later on :)

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #245 of 5,979

Very interesting and looking forward to hearing your impressions, John.  Where will this review be posted once it's complete?  Also does the v281 bring out the same details over SE output as the Taurus does over SE?

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #246 of 5,979
  Very interesting and looking forward to hearing your impressions, John.  Where will this review be posted once it's complete?  Also does the v281 bring out the same details over SE output as the Taurus does over SE?

It will post at InnerFidelity, though I'll certainly add a link here.

So far SE output seems on par with Taurus over SE. But they each have a flavor of their own. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #247 of 5,979

It will post at InnerFidelity, though I'll certainly add a link here.

So far SE output seems on par with Taurus over SE. But they each have a flavor of their own. 

Nice another review to look forward to :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #249 of 5,979
Just got balanced cable for the LCD-2 and my first impressions are that seems the soundstage has improved, at least imaging is clearer and soundstage a bit wider. Just a quick impression.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #250 of 5,979
  Just got balanced cable for the LCD-2 and my first impressions are that seems the soundstage has improved, at least imaging is clearer and soundstage a bit wider. Just a quick impression.

Seems like what going balanced generally does. I'm curious once you get more time with it of course, if you prefer SE or balanced overall with lcd 2. Because I am considering going with your set up, v281 with balanced cable for the lcd 2. It seems balanced is the better way to go if you have the v281 since you essentially get an entire v220 driving each channel, and have much more power.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #251 of 5,979

Seems like what going balanced generally does. I'm curious once you get more time with it of course, if you prefer SE or balanced overall with lcd 2. Because I am considering going with your set up, v281 with balanced cable for the lcd 2. It seems balanced is the better way to go if you have the v281 since you essentially get an entire v220 driving each channel, and have much more power.

Balanced channel seems to be a tad more neutral, or at least it works like that with the LCD-2s, giving them a bit more air and soundstage plus separation. I have to decide which one I prefer too, but for the moment Im sticking with the balanced one.

They havent loss a single bit of bass or mids, but the wider soundstage gives it better separation and that improves the overall sound. In fact, I was listening to this CD (Andrew Ridgeley) that I know very well and I felt more texture in the bass guitar due to this better separation, it allows you to perceive more details.

For me, V200/V220 improve the sound of the LCD-2 to the top level, pushing the mids and bass, and clearing the treble with detail. The balanced channel of the V281 gives more air and separation with all that "top level improvement" of before.

Also the balanced channel is not agressive at all, its as refined as the SE mode (if not even more).

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #252 of 5,979

Balanced channel seems to be a tad more neutral, or at least it works like that with the LCD-2s, giving them a bit more air and soundstage plus separation. I have to decide which one I prefer too, but for the moment Im sticking with the balanced one.

They havent loss a single bit of bass or mids, but the wider soundstage gives it better separation and that improves the overall sound. In fact, I was listening to this CD (Andrew Ridgeley) that I know very well and I felt more texture in the bass guitar due to this better separation, it allows you to perceive more details.

For me, V200/V220 improve the sound of the LCD-2 to the top level, pushing the mids and bass, and clearing the treble with detail. The balanced channel of the V281 gives more air and separation with all that "top level improvement" of before.

Also the balanced channel is not agressive at all, its as refined as the SE mode (if not even more).

Interesting, from what you're saying it almost seems like going balanced is like a bonus on top of the things it does great with lcd 2. I'll have to choose SE or balanced since I'm getting a custom cable for them, and I don't want to bother with those pigtail type designs where you just swap adapters around, I like having a single cable that does one thing, so I'll need to choose one or the other as a optimum choice. But so far it seems like the original plan of going balanced as I said before is still a good way to go.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #253 of 5,979

Interesting, from what you're saying it almost seems like going balanced is like a bonus on top of the things it does great with lcd 2. I'll have to choose SE or balanced since I'm getting a custom cable for them, and I don't want to bother with those pigtail type designs where you just swap adapters around, I like having a single cable that does one thing, so I'll need to choose one or the other as a optimum choice. But so far it seems like the original plan of going balanced as I said before is still a good way to go.

You could go Balanced and order a simple XLR to jack adapter. I do have both cables, but thats for me a good option in order to switch quickly.

My balanced cable is also custom made, neutrik connectors and silver wiring.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #254 of 5,979

You could go Balanced and order a simple XLR to jack adapter. I do have both cables, but thats for me a good option in order to switch quickly.

My balanced cable is also custom made, neutrik connectors and silver wiring.

I actually didn't realize there were adapters to go balanced to 1/4 in lol. I always though it had to be some sort of pigtail set up where the cable ends with a mini xlr and you have to have a short bit of cable that attaches onto it and ends with whatever connector you wanted. those I kinda don't like, but the adapter is good to know about. I was looking at getting a Norne cable, this one in particular http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Vanquish-OCC-Litz-Headphone-Cable-Audeze-Hifiman-Sennheiser-AKG-Astell-Kern-AK240 and have it terminate in the 4 pin xlr.

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #255 of 5,979

I actually didn't realize there were adapters to go balanced to 1/4 in lol. I always though it had to be some sort of pigtail set up where the cable ends with a mini xlr and you have to have a short bit of cable that attaches onto it and ends with whatever connector you wanted. those I kinda don't like, but the adapter is good to know about. I was looking at getting a Norne cable, this one in particular http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Vanquish-OCC-Litz-Headphone-Cable-Audeze-Hifiman-Sennheiser-AKG-Astell-Kern-AK240 and have it terminate in the 4 pin xlr.

Mine does use a 4-pin XLR too, my cable:

And the SE cable is just like that but with 1/4 in jack.

Of course there is a balanced to SE adapter, just a 3 or 4 pin balanced female to a jack male, but you wont use the balanced function of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back