Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 11, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #3,407 of 5,979
Can you tell which headphones sound noticeably better in your case, and which just barely so?
Audeze LCD3, LCD2C, Focal Utopia, Elear were clearly better. Sennheiser HD600/650 not a significant but still appreciable difference. Mr. Speakers Aeon Open Flow not so much but it is a 13 ohm headphone. Fostex TH-X00Ebony only has a SE cable so no choice there. I think any headphone that is laid back sounding in general may mask some of the benefits of balanced drive. In terms of a balanced drive benefit, clearly more dynamic with an increase in detail/perceived resolution, better focused imaging.

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,408 of 5,979
I have always used power conditioners. I don't think I have had audio equipment plugged straight into walls since the early 2000's.

I currently use a Belkin Pure AV. The thing is a beast. The bottom component on this rack. Old pic. I have Yggy now.

165444_full.jpg

Power conditioners are vital to home Theater. This one is nice that you can set modes. So I have a HP mode that only leaves HP
Equipment powered and cuts the power to everything else.
When using home Theater mode it cuts power to all HP equipment.
I also have a gaming mode and music speakers mode.
Sweet my friend.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #3,409 of 5,979
Audeze LCD3, LCD2C, Focal Utopia, Elear were clearly better. Sennheiser HD600/650 not a significant but still appreciable difference. Mr. Speakers Aeon Open Flow not so much but it is a 13 ohm headphone. Fostex TH-X00Ebony only has a SE cable so no choice there. I think any headphone that is laid back sounding in general may mask some of the benefits of balanced drive. In terms of a balanced drive benefit, clearly more dynamic with an increase in detail/perceived resolution, better focused imaging.

You should consider re-terminating the TH-X00 with an XLR plug. Makes a massive difference!

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #3,411 of 5,979
Indeed. When I ran the AH-D7200 balanced on the V281 after a week of using the SE output I was borderline careless about volume (just exaggerating a bit) because the improvements were oustanding. Quoting myself:

"So how does the AH-D7200 improve when running balanced? First it improves slam and kick. The headphone hits harder now, the bass is held even more with an iron grip. Some tracks I got used to before now kick so hard - it's a another form of deep satisfaction I have to be careful about. I'm watching the volume levels of course. Soundstage gains width and height (typical for the V281), more breathing room for the 7200 to shine (details, separation). Depth is unfortunately not the strongest trait of these DENONs, at least compared to the HD800 - which of course are another level in that matter."

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #3,412 of 5,979
Some impressions on headphone and amp combos, mostly confirming what others have said -- I recently switched out a Bryston BHA1 for the V281. The BHA1 had excellent synergy with the HE1000, a slightly bright/analytical amp and warm cans. Now I'm connecting the V281 mostly to the HD800, where bright/warm characteristics are reversed compared to the BHA1 and HE1000. I'm loving this combo and the HD800 is like totally different headphone.

Unfortunately I'm not liking the HE1000 paired with the V281; there's just for me too warm and dark a sound. So I've ordered silver headphone cables and am hoping the upper mids improve, and if they don't I may sell the HE1000. With the V281 the only genre where I'm finding the HE1000 to best the HD800 is hip hop and maybe R&B. For everything else I listen to, classical, world, indie, I'm liking the HD800 much more.

Lastly, I'm using a Yggy. I really do not like the sound of the V281 single-ended (I would stick with the BHA1 if I only had single-ended cables). With balanced cables, the V281 provides a soundstage and imaging unlike any other amp I've heard.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #3,413 of 5,979
...Unfortunately I'm not liking the HE1000 paired with the V281; there's just for me too warm and dark a sound. So I've ordered silver headphone cables and am hoping the upper mids improve, and if they don't I may sell the HE1000...

...Lastly, I'm using a Yggy....

I’ve got a V280 and Utopia, HEKv2 and Ether Flow. I purchased a silver cable from Lavricables for the HEK, and I really like that combination — brightens the sig up slightly vs stock. At the same time I’ve got an OCC copper cable for my Utopias, which adds a little warmth, or maybe just reduces the brightness.

Ether Flows also have a slightly warm sig, but I don’t find it too warm/dark at all — haven’t felt urge to replace MrSpeakers DUM cable to change the sig.

I wonder if the Yggy isn’t a contributor to the warmth you hear from the V281/HEK combo? I suspect my 9038-based Sonica DAC isn’t the best for my Utopias, but may be helping with the HEKs and Ether Flows.

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,414 of 5,979
I wonder if the Yggy isn’t a contributor to the warmth you hear from the V281/HEK combo? I suspect my 9038-based Sonica DAC isn’t the best for my Utopias, but may be helping with the HEKs and Ether Flows.

Could be part of it. Also back when I had the BHA1 connected I was using a cheapo USB cable, probably came with a printer, and after replacing that with an Audioquest Carbon the sound was much smoother and warmer, in a very good way (once was a cable skeptic, no longer).

I might actually replace the HEK with the Utopia if the Silver Dragon cable doesn't lighten things up enough for me.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,416 of 5,979
...I might actually replace the HEK with the Utopia if the Silver Dragon cable doesn't lighten things up enough for me.

I really like the Utopia — gets more than half my head time. The soundstage isn’t huge (HEK & HE560 both are bigger), but it’s way more precise. Combined with the tremendous detail retrieval, the effect is quite striking.

I do wonder how the Utopias will compare to the HD-800 for you. In the Utopia impressions thread there seems to be a split between ‘so much better’ and ‘not nearly 2.5X better’ opinions. There is universal agreement that the HD-800 has a MUCH bigger stage.

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #3,417 of 5,979
Some impressions on headphone and amp combos, mostly confirming what others have said -- I recently switched out a Bryston BHA1 for the V281. The BHA1 had excellent synergy with the HE1000, a slightly bright/analytical amp and warm cans. Now I'm connecting the V281 mostly to the HD800, where bright/warm characteristics are reversed compared to the BHA1 and HE1000. I'm loving this combo and the HD800 is like totally different headphone.

Unfortunately I'm not liking the HE1000 paired with the V281; there's just for me too warm and dark a sound. So I've ordered silver headphone cables and am hoping the upper mids improve, and if they don't I may sell the HE1000. With the V281 the only genre where I'm finding the HE1000 to best the HD800 is hip hop and maybe R&B. For everything else I listen to, classical, world, indie, I'm liking the HD800 much more.

Lastly, I'm using a Yggy. I really do not like the sound of the V281 single-ended (I would stick with the BHA1 if I only had single-ended cables). With balanced cables, the V281 provides a soundstage and imaging unlike any other amp I've heard.
For the HE1000 have you tried changing the V281 gain settings to +5 or +10? You may find that the sound is brighter. I did.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #3,418 of 5,979
For the HE1000 have you tried changing the V281 gain settings to +5 or +10? You may find that the sound is brighter. I did.
Mine is Not 281 but 280 and i have same results. On 0 gain in comparison to -5 i feel more impact, nore dynamism, air and overall slightly more vivid sound.
I know it sound like big difference... Well not as big as it sound, but certainly noticable and make my listening more engaging.

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #3,419 of 5,979
Some time ago there was a lot of talking about better sound with the lower pre-gain.
Now this goes to the opposite direction :)
Try to match the volume level precisely before comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back