Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced (September 2023 Update: Limited Reissue Edition up for preorder!)
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #3,378 of 5,979
But you have a sound with the headphones from the 3.5 in that case?
If so, how do you set the output level on your Mojo when it is connected to V281?
You can’t set the output it, auto selects (no selector)
And coming out of the 3.5 does nothing except when headphones are attached to it.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #3,380 of 5,979
This is why I was told it doesn’t work as a source (dac only)
Rob Watts does not think so. He tells it does not matter is it used as a headphone output or as a line level output. You can google that with ease.

According to manual you can set the line level output with the following:

To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

Have you tried this (don't use the headphones with the Mojo in this "mode")?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,381 of 5,979
This is why I was told it doesn’t work as a source (dac only)

Actually tried that setup before so I'm confused to see what seems to be the issue with how you're setting it up. I used an AQ cinnamon 3.5mm to RCA cable before and that seems to work fine, had to put the mojo in Line Level (where you hold both buttons while turning it on) and then pressing the volume down with 4 (or 3) clicks to get to 1.9V. You'll have to check over at the mojo thread as I've not had the mojo for a while.

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #3,382 of 5,979
Actually tried that setup before so I'm confused to see what seems to be the issue with how you're setting it up. I used an AQ cinnamon 3.5mm to RCA cable before and that seems to work fine, had to put the mojo in Line Level (where you hold both buttons while turning it on) and then pressing the volume down with 4 (or 3) clicks to get to 1.9V. You'll have to check over at the mojo thread as I've not had the mojo for a while.

I haven’t tried the line level, didn’t see it in manual. I’ll also look over there
Thanks

Jan 5, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #3,383 of 5,979
Rob Watts does not think so. He tells it does not matter is it used as a headphone output or as a line level output. You can google that with ease.

According to manual you can set the line level output with the following:

To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

Have you tried this (don't use the headphones with the Mojo in this "mode")?
I haven’t tried line level will do this and let you all know. Thanks

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #3,384 of 5,979
I have used Mojo as a DAC with the V281, with the source being either a phone (Android) or a PC. There's really no tricks to that - just plug the right cables in the right holes and it works.
The line mode on Mojo is just a preset for output volume, so don't expect miracles.
If Mojo outputs sound through headphones and the V281 works fine with the RCA input, then there's only one suspect between them: you should try a different 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Edit: Also make sure that the 3.5mm plug goes all the way in. Sometimes small variances in size cause that a bit of force has to be applied.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #3,385 of 5,979
I have used Mojo as a DAC with the V281, with the source being either a phone (Android) or a PC. There's really no tricks to that - just plug the right cables in the right holes and it works.
The line mode on Mojo is just a preset for output volume, so don't expect miracles.
If Mojo outputs sound through headphones and the V281 works fine with the RCA input, then there's only one suspect between them: you should try a different 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Edit: Also make sure that the 3.5mm plug goes all the way in. Sometimes small variances in size cause that a bit of force has to be applied.
Ok. I will try this also and report back.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #3,386 of 5,979
As I know, the output level may be set higher than 3V (line level).
In most cases with the headphones nobody will go higher.
But with line out it is possible and easy, and the signal may be clipped (Chord feature).
So, probably, @lonerboy13 made the best recommendation to start with the "line level".
And then to save this level with the volume buttons.
Maybe just press down and up once.
I don't think there is any reason to go to 1.9 V or something like this, at least with V281.
As I can see, this measurements are made with the 3V (11.5 dBu) output:
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/dac/chord-mojo.php
In this case it is probably better to use pre-gain on V281 to adjust the volume pot range.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,387 of 5,979
Hi FumblingFoo, I own the HPA280 and DAC850 (besides the PRE630 and PPA600 to connect my Rega to active speakers and HPA at the same time), and I‘m very curious how much the RS05 can contribute to even better SQ. Did you get one as you announced above?

Been a while since I've been around on the forums, sorry for the long delay reklov :frowning2:. Looks like zhgutov beat me to it lol :p.

Jan 8, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #3,388 of 5,979
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #3,389 of 5,979
We were discussing power conditioners earlier. I found one that I absolutely love with the V281 and my DAC. I posted my findings on it. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/keces-balanced-power-conditioner.869377/

I highly recommend using this Balanced Power Conditioner and Surge Suppressor. Hear what your V281 is really capable of. I got the 2 outlet BP-600 as it is all I need for my amp and DAC. http://keces-audio-usa.com/products

I have always used power conditioners. I don't think I have had audio equipment plugged straight into walls since the early 2000's.

I currently use a Belkin Pure AV. The thing is a beast. The bottom component on this rack. Old pic. I have Yggy now.

165444_full.jpg

Power conditioners are vital to home Theater. This one is nice that you can set modes. So I have a HP mode that only leaves HP
Equipment powered and cuts the power to everything else.
When using home Theater mode it cuts power to all HP equipment.
I also have a gaming mode and music speakers mode.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,390 of 5,979
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I've been looking at the V281 and V280 for my HD800S, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that there's no sonic differences between these two amps when connected with headphones. Is the difference mainly just the preamp function of the V281? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back